Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Anybody use contact management software?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
10 Apr 2008 - 5:13 PM

I am currently using Business Contact Manager for Outlook (because it was free) but it is a little flaky and I am considering getting something else. If anybody has any recommendations for software that costs less than 100 please let me know. I need it to integrate with Outlook, so it tracks email conversations, tasks and calendar entries. I also need to be able to import my Business Contacts (which I can export to a CSV).

All advice appreciated.

Ian

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Apr 2008 - 5:13 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

BOB S
BOB S  122622 forum posts
10 Apr 2008 - 6:41 PM

ACT is one of the best, but Ian if you can manage with an online system which has many advantages - access anywhere through a browser, security, mail/SMS/mailshot/Fax capability have a look here Your CRM

BOB

P.S. I have to admit I have an interest in that my son designed all the clever stuff behind the simple front.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
11thearlofmar
10 Apr 2008 - 6:48 PM

I have used ACT too - a bit more than 100 I think - info here

Alan

Last Modified By 11thearlofmar at 10 Apr 2008 - 6:49 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
kit-monster
kit-monster e2 Member 113685 forum postskit-monster vcard Singapore2 Constructive Critique Points
10 Apr 2008 - 7:09 PM

I spent 10 years in crm and when it came to setting up my own business I used BCM but as part of Small Business Server. I then moved to Kayako. It's a little more than 100 but has more functionality than 100k systems I used to configure and install. You do need a web server to host it yourself or you can pay a monthly subscription. It is excellent for tracking conversations / emails / tickets etc. How many people will be using it?

culturedcanvas
10 Apr 2008 - 7:13 PM

I used Act for a long time not only as a contact manager but also as a sales channel management tool ... was good for account management where onging sales and follow up are crucial.

It depends if you will use the full functionality of the software with ACT but oder versions can be purchased for not a lot of money and will do everything that you actually want.

Dan

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73882 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
10 Apr 2008 - 9:00 PM

We use Lotus notes at work which is good but out of your budget. If you have Microsoft Access there are some good CM freebies out there - the Microsoft ones on there site are quite good, and you can manipulate them if you have just a little knowledge.

BOB S
10 Apr 2008 - 9:04 PM

Ian,

I have an old copy of ACT for windows on floppy, I used it under win98, not sure if it would function on a higher platform as I cant try an installation as I have no floppy drive in my PC. Could do a trade with a 4 star member if you want to try it ?

BOB

PM me if inerested

Last Modified By BOB S at 10 Apr 2008 - 9:05 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
digicammad
10 Apr 2008 - 9:57 PM

Thanks folks. I was looking at ACT, there are some older versions on Amazon for about 40, but the reviews seemed to say it really slows the machine down. Any comments on this?

Bob I don't have a floppy either but thanks for the offer. Smile

Ed, it will just be me.

Ian

BOB S
10 Apr 2008 - 11:04 PM

ACT is not a processor hungry package and I would be surprised if you had any speed issues, it does also allow you to import your contacts directly from Outlook. I have it on an old pentium 160? (really old) laptop with next to no memory and it runs fine.

BOB

kit-monster
kit-monster e2 Member 113685 forum postskit-monster vcard Singapore2 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2008 - 8:10 AM

If it's just you, what's wrong with outlook?

11thearlofmar
11 Apr 2008 - 8:35 AM

I have not noticed any performance issues with ACT 6. I can only vouch for it on Windows XP professional, nor sure if it will run on vista.

Alan

digicammad
11 Apr 2008 - 9:07 AM

Quote: If it's just you, what's wrong with outlook?

BCM in Outlook seems flaky. If you change an email address it loses the ability to track messages to/from that Contact even if you re link. I've got a number of Contacts to which that has happened and it is a royal pain.

You can't build a mailing list from the free version of BCM and a few things have happened with it which leave me less than confident about the robustness of the data.

I think perhaps the version you were using was a different animal Ed, hooked up to a server it was probably a lot more functional and robust.

Ian

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014148 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2008 - 9:16 AM

Our salesmen at work went for salesforce.com
which is completely browser based. Might be worth a look.

digicammad
11 Apr 2008 - 9:20 AM

Thanks Chris, works out a bit too expensive for me.

I've gone for one of the 40 ACT 2007 deals, at least if it is rubbish (which from this thread it shouldn't be) I haven't wasted too much money.

Cheers folks

Ian

riprap007
riprap007  101568 forum posts England37 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2008 - 9:27 AM

Act does vary, I think Sage have done a poor job on it, if it proves poor you might like to look at Goldmine

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.