Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Anyone any experience with Eazi Lay flooring ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93488 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
20 Jul 2012 - 8:33 AM

Hi.... my daughter and her husband have had fitted in their kitchen/dining room,30 metres of Eazi Lay flooring from the Distinctive Flooring Co.
Initially it looked great but then it started lifting and gaps appearing.

They had the guys back and they messed about with it some, I think sticking it down when it's not supposed to be stuck.
It's still not right and the situation is made worse by the school holidays just starting and my daughter has 2 young boys one of whom is autistic and cannot cope with the upheaval.

They have'nt yet paid for the floor so they have this leverage and my daughter is 'gonna ring them again.
We don't think that they put down any underlay.

I just wondered if anyone has experience with this type of flooring and can offer any advice.

...any help/suggestions much appreciated...many thanks....Mike

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Jul 2012 - 8:33 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012523 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jul 2012 - 9:01 AM

Has it been laid over a concrete floor? Have they left gaps around the edge of the room?

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014013 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jul 2012 - 9:07 AM

Quote: We don't think that they put down any underlay.

Well that would be a probelm on a concrete floor as there is supposed to be a plastic sheet at least underneath. (I have always used accoustic boards as well).
They need to explain what is wrong with it - gaps and lifting sound like a damp problem to me.

MikeRC
20 Jul 2012 - 9:10 AM

No...the floor is a mixture of floorboarding and chipboard.
I don't know whether gaps were left, all the skirting was removed and replaced after laying.
It was professinally laid.

cheers....Mike

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012523 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jul 2012 - 9:12 AM

Sounds like they havent then, or not enough. That type of flooring will expand if if it cant expand because there is no gap for it to expand into it will warp.

Could also be humidity?

Last Modified By answersonapostcard at 20 Jul 2012 - 9:15 AM
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014013 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jul 2012 - 9:12 AM

Quote: I don't know whether gaps were left, all the skirting was removed and replaced after laying.

The gaps woud be under the skirting normally.

Quote:
It was professinally laid.

No barrier or no gaps - sounds like it was badly installed to me. I have installed loads of these floors around Lobster manor and never had a problem with lifting, etc.

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 20 Jul 2012 - 9:24 AM
MikeRC
20 Jul 2012 - 9:52 AM

Quote: I have installed loads of these floors around Lobster manor and never had a problem with lifting, etc.

Thanks...is this the exact same stuff ? ....we were wondering if it was a new product and not yet proven.

When my daughter first spoke to the company I think that they were adamant that It did not need underlay, however subsequently they refused to discuss it as she was not the customer, the suppliers were and I see on their website that this special underlay is critical.

Someone from the flooring company came round and took photos and it was relaid with some kind of underlay but my daughter is still not happy....perhaps she is expecting too much, but this is supposed to last a lifetime so one would expect it to be perfect.

...thanks.....Mike

lobsterboy
20 Jul 2012 - 10:29 AM

Quote: Thanks...is this the exact same stuff ?

No, just normal laminates & solid wood floors. If I have found the right stuff, looking at the broucher it apears to be made of PVC. So I wouldnt have thought damp would be a problem.

They quote a 15year warranty, so I would expect it to last more than a few weeks without problems.

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92971 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jul 2012 - 10:40 AM

Quote: It was professinally laid.

The company may have a team of fitters on a contract basis with some having rather less experience than others.

Some pictures of it would help. not only here but also with the company.
Gaps should be left when fitting against the wall for expansion. the skirting then replaced on top avoiding the use of beading.

It could be high and low humidity contrast when fitting.
It could also be a case of stripping the floor and starting from scratch.

They are fortunate no payment has been made.

MikeRC
20 Jul 2012 - 10:55 AM

Quote: If I have found the right stuff

yes...that's the one....thanks.

mikehit
mikehit  46154 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jul 2012 - 11:04 AM

If it is anything other than flat then I would say it is unacceptable as a floor.
I think it is only natural to be overly critical after having a major problem with something, but at the end of the day your daughter is the one who has to be happy.
If the company get awkward about what they see as undue delay in payment, then maybe they can negotiate phased payment over 3 months or so to see how the floor settles?

And they should keep all correspondence and write down now a record of how this has developed because it will be a nightmare to do if this gets worse ofer the next 6 months.

MrGoatsmilk
20 Jul 2012 - 11:15 AM

Worth giving these a ring

C.A.B

MikeRC
20 Jul 2012 - 12:55 PM

Thanks everyone...I will suggest to my daughter that she keeps a diary of events and maybe contact the C.A.B.

.....Mike

simont
simont  102248 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jul 2012 - 4:20 PM

If you google eazi lay, this topic is on the front page - not sure if it's good or bad advertising for them.

Smile

Last Modified By simont at 20 Jul 2012 - 4:21 PM
JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53531 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jul 2012 - 4:39 PM

If they have resolved it by relaying the floor for free after saying the first floor fitters are no longer working for them then that's good customer service in dealing with something that went wrong. Esp if they give a money off token towards any second floor laying.

Apart from this one complaint - i'm now considering this for a bathroom floor - so maybe good advertising. Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.