Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Anyone been to Everest base camp?

paulstefan 10 509 1 United Kingdom
7 Sep 2007 1:57PM
Yep, more or less right on the base camp altitude. And yep, I'll be on the Nepalese side.

I'll also be going up Kala Pattar which is 5545m.
Smile

I'm just as much looking forward to the flight in/out of Lukla which is, as I understand, as scary as they come! But has one of the most dramatic views in the world. Grin

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

loweskid 13 2.0k 1 United Kingdom
7 Sep 2007 2:03PM

Quote:Keep your camera kit to an absolute minimum! Even breathing will be difficult when you get up to that kind of altitude and any extra weight will make it even harder to keep going...

I'm not convinced about that. I assume Paul is going with an organised trek in which case a lot of the (non personal) gear will be carried by porters and by the time he reaches high altitudes he should be fairly well acclimatized - though I will admit that altitude sickness can strike anyone, regardless of how fit they are. In Greenland we carried all our own gear, including camping stuff, and up to four day's food. I still managed to carry a tripod and two extra lenses and didn't regret it for one moment (though no altitude problems in Greenland of course). It would be shame to go all that way to such a place and feel you're not getting the best from your camera because you didn't bring that wide angle lens or whatever.
CathyI e2
10 344 3 United Kingdom
7 Sep 2007 2:11PM
Which company are you going with?
7 Sep 2007 2:20PM
I'm going with Exodus.

And I agree on not limiting kit too much as we do have porters to carry nearly all of our other gear.

I'll take a look at the tripods too. I already have two Manfrotto tripods but both too heavy.

cheers, Paul
SandyMiller 8 926 United Kingdom
7 Sep 2007 3:47PM
I agree with whoever it was who recommended the velbon Ultra Maxi range. I use the SF on long hikes and it really does a pretty good job and only wieghs 750ish g. If you have a 70-200 the tripod collar does make a big difference though and mirror-lock is also pretty much essential.

Also agree that you want to have as much kit as you can carry but personally I try and limit myself to 1 or 2 light primes (24mm or 35mm and 50mm usually) and a 70-200. Works for me here in the Alps but then I've never been to Everest base camp.

Enjoy your trip
csurry 12 9.2k 92
7 Sep 2007 7:17PM
If he's staying next week do you want me to ask some questions?

Smile

Have fun, watch out for any frostbite. Need any hair gel?
9 Sep 2007 7:05PM
Thanks..

Please, Cheryl - can you ask him which sleeping bag he would recommend - the Rab Quantum 800 or the Mountain Equipment Snowline? I'm having a mare deciding.
Wink

No need for any gel this time..hopefully!
csurry 12 9.2k 92
10 Sep 2007 10:54AM
OK will do Smile
vaughar 10 242 United Kingdom
10 Sep 2007 11:24AM
My fiances uncle is going to be there at the same time as you I think. He'll be there at the end of October, but not sure if that is setting off on the long walk on that date, or arriving at base camp that date.

He'll have his 350d with him I expect, but I'll be sure to point him in the direction of your portfolio on his return!

p.s he's 72...
10 Sep 2007 11:27AM
72?
Impressive!

I may bump into him on the way back
Smile
vaughar 10 242 United Kingdom
10 Sep 2007 11:37AM
He'll be there with his son and others, you'll be able to spot his son as he'll be the one with the shaggy hair and beard... oh, then again there might be one or two others looking like that in the area Wink
CathyI e2
10 344 3 United Kingdom
27 Oct 2007 11:57PM
So Paul, now you've been up there, what camera kit did you actually end up taking out of interest???
28 Oct 2007 10:26AM
Hi Cathy,
I decided to keep the 20D for the trip. I was going to take a 5D but the weight went against it and I'm glad I did as I was quite happy for my 20D to get knocked about and covered in dust and snow!

As for the tripod, I took the advice on this thread and went for the Velbon Ultra Luxi SF - it was absolutely perfect. Less than a kg, folds up to only 35cm and sturdy enough for the 20D.

And I took a lot of shots. Grin

Cheers for asking, Paul
Henchard 9 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
28 Oct 2007 11:15AM
I've trekked widely in Nepal Including Annapurna base camp and have been to advanced base camp on Everest (6700m) on the North side (Tibet).

Other than the obvious problems with altitude (which presumably your aware of) the biggest difficulty is deciding what to leave behind from a photography point of view because of the weight. I settled on one body and lens which I kept strapped to my waist in one of those waist camera bags. I doubt if a solar charger is necessary (just a couple of spare batteries which you should be able to recharge at some trekking lodges). If its really cold at night (Like -30C in our tent at advanced base camp) I generally wrapped my camera up in my warm clothing - but never had a problem. Yes you can get a trekking pole that doubles as a monopod.

PM me if you want to know anything specific. Pretty much everthing you need other than your camera gear can be bought or hired in Kathmandu at much lower prices than the uk.
CathyI e2
10 344 3 United Kingdom
28 Oct 2007 3:11PM
Cheers for the info Paul! I think you made the right decision taking only the lighter body! I've just come back from an attempt on Kilimanjaro (got beaten by the weather unfortunately!) and only took 1 body and my wide angle lens and found that more than enough weight to deal with at altitude!! Must remember that tripod though for the next time I go off on this sort of gallivant...!

Looking forward to having a browse through your many shots when I have a moment!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.