Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Anyone been to Hockney exhibition?

Camairish e2
9 1.3k Scotland
14 Apr 2012 8:02PM
Did anyone get the opportunity to go to David Hockney's 'A Bigger Picture' exhibition in London recently? If so - how was it?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

catgirl73 e2
6 142 United Kingdom
14 Apr 2012 8:44PM
Yes, I went, and was blown away with the colours he used. If you have tickets it is a 'must see'.

I'd seen Countryfile interview him just before Christmas, he showed them a road he went back to time after time. After the show I knew I had to go to the exhibition.
Camairish e2
9 1.3k Scotland
14 Apr 2012 9:09PM
I never got the chance and it's closed now! May try to get tickets to the Bilbao leg of the exhibition and make a long weekend of it. Thanks for that feedback.
Steve-T 7 51 66 England
16 Apr 2012 11:49PM
Yes I went in the last week and had to queue for 4hrs to get in Sad but it was worth the wait Smile the exhibition was stunning in scale, colour and impact. A couple of times I was stopped by a wow painting - I love how he sees colour and shape. I found it inspiring for my photography and it energised my desire to be more creative.

I was particularly interested in the paintings done on an iPad. What amazed me was the size of the prints and the quality bearing in mind the resolution of an iPad. Unkindly, I read a review that said these paintings looked like they have been done with felt pens and whilst I can see the point I do think these paintings are about Hockney's interpretation of colour.

Although colour and scale did dominate the exhibition I really enjoyed his charcoal drawings - technically superb IMO.

If there is a chance to see the exhibition in the future I would definitely recommend it.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.