Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Anyone been to Majorca in September / October

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    MikeRC
    MikeRC e2 Member 93485 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
    18 Aug 2007 - 1:37 PM

Hi..I would like to visit Majorca later in the year thinking that there may be a greater number of migrating birds around the Albufera nature reserve.
    However my wife says that the weather will be rubbish and all the restaurants will be shut.
    I can understand her point, as long as it's better than this it will do for me but my wife is not interested in birding and wants nothing more than to lay by the pool or on the beach.
    I suspect it will not be good enough for that.

So...has anyone been late in the year...what's the verdict ?
    regards...Mike

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    18 Aug 2007 - 1:37 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c
    justin c  104510 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Aug 2007 - 2:17 PM

Mike,

If I had to choose two months out of the twelve to visit Majorca it would be May and September.
    June,July and August are just too hot to be walking for miles carrying heavy photographic equipment.
    The weather in September should be superb, very warm with heaps of sunshine, but not unbearingly hot. The sea will still be very warm for swimming in and the weather should be perfect sun-bathing weather.

Can't advise on Albufera in September as although I've been to the reserve many times it's usually the last week in April,first week in May that I usually go specifically with photography in mind.

Have a great trip, very envious Smile

Justin

boxer57
    boxer57  785 forum posts United Kingdom
    18 Aug 2007 - 5:09 PM

Have been to Majorca twice in september and october, weather has been fine on both occasions, plenty of sun for lying in, all
    the bars/restaurants open, and usually cheap travel as well.

Steve

paulbroad
    paulbroad  681 forum posts United Kingdom840 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Aug 2007 - 9:06 AM

We go to Majorca in early October, have done for about 14 years. The weather is usually very good with maybe a total of 1 day light rain but often some stronger breezes.

Weather will be better in the south - we go to Palma Nova - but the north remains reasonable until late October. Never visit anywhere but Magalluf/Palma Nova after late October as the rest of the island closes!

For bird photography you should be OK in the right areas, but watch out for Mosquitos - there are A LOT in the wet areas around Alcudia for example. (We often hire a car, so have visited most areas at this time of the year.)

The beauty of October for a holiday is that, whilst the weather remains excellent - I couldn't stand the heat in July/August anyway, the island is much quieter and almost all facilities are in action.

Paul

MikeRC
    MikeRC e2 Member 93485 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
    20 Aug 2007 - 8:36 AM

Thanks Justin / Steve / Paul.

...all answers most helpful but my wife is still insisting on Rhodes or Kos.

....I'd hate to listen to "I told you so" for 2 weeks.

thanks again...Mike

paulbroad
    paulbroad  681 forum posts United Kingdom840 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Aug 2007 - 11:52 AM

My experiences of Greece are not as good as Majorca - not even close - but that's a personnal comment.

I found the Greek people great, the locations we visited scruffy and poorly maintained - remember the two kids who died of CO poisoning in Corfu (Gouvia) - my wife and I stayed in the next block of bungalows at the same hotel the year before and I complained to the rep about the condition of the heating boiler in our bungalow then!

Paul

Last Modified By paulbroad at 20 Aug 2007 - 11:52 AM
    dcash29
    dcash29  81887 forum posts England
    20 Aug 2007 - 6:12 PM

Mike I think you'd be better on the west side of Majorca although there is more rain the scenery is far better great walks little villages but in mountainous landscape (great views). Look up Puerto soller and Soller, Valldemossa and the village of Deya. There are bus and train services but hiring a car is a lot easier. I wouldnt stop over that side. Puerto Pollensa used to be ok ive stopped there quite relaxing. I didnt stop at Alcudia as the setup wasnt me, a bit blackpoolish i maybe wrong? Lower down the east coast its a little sparse. Cala d'Or is worth a look although i didnt spend to much time along the coast. Obviously Palma is nice to walk round, if you do go and hire a car watch the traffic in the city centre its madness.

David

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.