Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Anyone Considering Mac Os X Lion - Just a word of caution

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Joeblowfromoz
25 Jul 2011 - 10:07 AM

Hi everyone - and to all those with a Mac.

I downloaded the latest operating system for the Mac over the weekend, after having done a fair bit of reading on the new system.

We travel full time around Australia and rely on a usb modem for connecting to the internet. After installing Lion, I discovered that the new system no longer supports usb modems, and many people have been caught out. The options are to go Wi - Fi or use Airport devices, which for us travelling and being in some remote locations, were not really going to be suitable.

Just wanted to let anyone with a Mac know about this change - which I think Apple has made a big mistake with this one, but hopefully it will be rectified in future updates.

Cheers

Jo

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Jul 2011 - 10:07 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2011 - 10:14 AM

Cheers for the update.
I am waiting for a wee bit longer before upgrading.

Joeblowfromoz
25 Jul 2011 - 10:45 AM

Just have to look at the apple forums to see the issues so far - and yes I would certainly be waiting a bit longer till the issues are resolved.. Sure to be updates by the dozens before too long ...

Cheers

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
25 Jul 2011 - 12:24 PM

Apparently, the incompatibility is down to the lack of a 64-bit driver for the USB modem. According to this topic, there are other USB fax/modem options that are reported to work, but I would recommend doing a bit more research first.

I would recommend ALWAYS checking for known issues first before upgrading your operating system, particularly any compatibility problems which might have been introduced. Not all of these will be resolved, as they may be to do with architectural changes in the new version of the OS.

And of course...make sure you have a full backup of your primary hard drive first before upgrading! Then if you do run into a show-stopping problem, you can put everything back the way it was.

--

I upgraded my iMac (mid-2010 27" quad-core i7) at the weekend. No problems so far, but a fair bit of change to get used to.

User_Removed
25 Jul 2011 - 12:34 PM

Eh? I thought they "just worked". Was all that far-fetched baloney then? Tongue

Joeblowfromoz
25 Jul 2011 - 12:48 PM

Quote: Eh? I thought they "just worked". Was all that far-fetched baloney then? Tongue

Not quite as simple as that lol

I went and bought a Wi-Fi modem and works well now.

and yes I had done a full back up first, and thought I had checked for known issues, but this wasn't mentioned in anything I read, and according to the forums I have been on, many are in the same situation. Guess they will sort it - if there is enough said about it

Last Modified By Joeblowfromoz at 25 Jul 2011 - 12:50 PM
Sparkleson
25 Jul 2011 - 1:20 PM

I plan on getting a second hard drive so I can clone the machine and install it on the clone first to give it a thorough test. The list of failures seem to be massive: Mail (Pop3), NAS drives, Flash, and as far as I can tell, no version of MSOffice is 100% compatible - even 2011 has some PPC code still in it

catgirl73
catgirl73  6141 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Jul 2011 - 1:48 PM

I've downloaded Lion on both my laptop and iMac and haven't come across any issue yet. Its really improved the perfromance of Aperture.

Apple are really good at sorting the issues out just keep an eye out for the updates!

redsnappa
redsnappa  121916 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Jul 2011 - 5:52 PM

Mac Users have to pay 20.99 for this software update and all the cjaos that goes with it ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!!!.

_
_  9535 forum posts Virgin Islands, British4 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2011 - 5:59 PM

Been running it for a few days now and so far nothing to moan about. My original magic mouse broke last week and I decided to order a trackpad instead. It arrived just as I was downloading Lion, and to be honest I'm not sure why I never bought one before; oh yes, they didn't do as much before Lion came out.
CS5, Aperture, Office 2008, Mail, DW, and all my other programs work fine on it. i7 27"iMac with 16Gb Ram. It just works, even Aperture is starting to become less of a pain now

jarendell
jarendell  795 forum posts Spain2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2011 - 6:30 PM

Im not a Mac user, but just found this article if it helps anyoneLink

Andy80F
Andy80F  11306 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Jul 2011 - 8:51 PM

Installed Lion easily and have had no issues. No issues either with internet connections or existing peripherals. Some nice interface changes.

Andy

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014146 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2011 - 8:25 AM

Not specifically a Lion issue, but I hope they patch this security hole on the Macbooks pretty quick.

I wonder how many other vendors stuck with the default passwords, we could be in for some nasty surprises - malware deleting your documents is one thing but making your battery overheat is a bit blooming scary.

dlegros
dlegros  12217 forum posts England
26 Jul 2011 - 9:25 AM

Quote: Mac Users have to pay 20.99 for this software update and all the cjaos that goes with it ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!!!.

Your point?

Windows 7 is 50-150 depending on version

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014146 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2011 - 9:40 AM

Quote: Your point?

Dunno - lost me. 21 seems pretty reasonable in the scheme of things.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.