Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Anyone else find summer a hard time for photography (includes bonus photo rut material - click now!!!!)?

Consulo e2
10 815 10 Scotland
12 Aug 2013 1:08PM
Greetings dear reader,

Whilst this obviously does not apply to everyone given that the gallery is still going strong with submissions, but does anyone else find the summer a time when they struggle with their photography? I've been going through a massive photography block atm, so much so that I haven't taken a photograph of any significance for almost 5 months. During this time I've barely picked up my camera and for someone who loves photography, this has been an astonishingly long time.

I just can't think of anything to go out and shoot even though I know that there are plenty of things. As nice as the weather can be during the summer (though I've personally found it way too hot at times this year), I find the mass of green in the landscape to be pretty uninspiring picture-wise. Even subjects that I enjoy shooting such as abstracts, which require no particular atmospheric conditions, have no draw for me. It's pretty bloody worrying; I sometimes wonder if I'll ever pick up my camera again, though I know that that is silly (and autumn and winter, my favourite seasons, are just around the corner).

Bit of self-pitying thread, so I apologise for that. Suggestions for getting out of this rut very welcome, as are the thoughts of anyone else currently in the same boat.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
12 Aug 2013 1:19PM
No, the only time I struggle is when health problems stop me.

Ken
12 Aug 2013 1:37PM
Summertime is great for car shows. Find your local car clubs or race track. Try some car and motorsport photography
crookymonsta e2
6 705 10 England
12 Aug 2013 2:02PM
We all go through this from time to time, I got my mojo back last time by trying something completely new to me, street photography. Try going to a few new places without the camera, I bet you will soon find your hands itching!
Gundog e2
1 624 Scotland
12 Aug 2013 3:45PM
For me, the only problem with summer is that there is such a long time between sunrise and sunset (my favourite times for photography) - although, up here in Scotland, not such a long time between sunset and sunrise, if you care to do the "night shift".

This year, to give a bit of variety, I joined both Historic Scotland and National Trust for Scotland and set about trying to cover the membership fees by at least a factor of 10. As a result, I have taken photographs of places and things that I would never normally have visited.

Finding old castles and weirdo Fringe performers to be good for producing "creative" composites.

But I think that the best antidote to "Photographer's Block" is to set yourself new (and difficult) challenges. How about going for an FRPS (if you haven't already done that)?

Or travel - click over to Lastminute.com and book a journey to some part of the world you have not yet photographed. Do it now!! If you don't want to be boring, you have to be impulsive. Smile

Snapper e2
9 3.8k 3 United States Outlying Islands
12 Aug 2013 4:03PM
I'd suggest something like the Weekly Black & White Challenge on the site here as it gives you a target of a topic to shoot between Wednesdays, and it's entirely for fun. It might take you to subjects you wouldn't normally photograph and there's usually plenty scope for interpretation.
joolsb e2
10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
12 Aug 2013 6:36PM

Quote:I just can't think of anything to go out and shoot even though I know that there are plenty of things. As nice as the weather can be during the summer (though I've personally found it way too hot at times this year), I find the mass of green in the landscape to be pretty uninspiring picture-wise. Even subjects that I enjoy shooting such as abstracts, which require no particular atmospheric conditions, have no draw for me. It's pretty bloody worrying; I sometimes wonder if I'll ever pick up my camera again, though I know that that is silly (and autumn and winter, my favourite seasons, are just around the corner).

I know exactly what you mean but, luckily for you, you're not far from a north-facing coast. That's where I would head, but that's just me. Plenty of shade for abstracts.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
12 Aug 2013 6:46PM
Yes, I too find it more difficult in summer. Spring and autumn are my favourite photographic seasons. Smile
kaybee e2
10 4.0k 24 Scotland
12 Aug 2013 6:55PM
Stick a lens on the camera (preferably a prime), go into town, plonk yourself down with a coffee and don't move for at least an hour.
Open the lens up.
Shoot anything and everything....... people, pigeons, waste bins, feet, flowers .............everything.
Just make sure that the lens is wide open (or at least no further than 2 stops from wide open).

I bet you will soon find yourself looking at things differently and will find you come home with stuff you would never have
thought of before
12 Aug 2013 7:11PM
I do know what you mean, but personally I'm finding that as the sunrise is getting later and the sunset earlier, the magic hours are within easier reach! Beyond that, I'd say competitions, weekly themes, sticking with a prime lens for a day or using a flash or tripod for everything are ways to experiment a bit.
Failing that, get a train somewhere new and just explore (with your camera of course).
Good luck.
Lynx08 e2
6 1.2k England
12 Aug 2013 7:52PM
Join in the Monday Night Challenge (light Hearted Chat forum), you are given a topic so you don't need to think of a theme just something to demonstrate the topic. Little light pressure to take and upload the photo within an hour! (8-9pm)
See you there
Lyn
rambler e2
6 477 14 England
13 Aug 2013 12:33AM
I do have some sympathy with you Consulo as I live by Epping Forest which is a sea of green all summer, and a leaf is a leaf is a leaf. Ok if I really tried I could get some shots given raking light beams or a misty morning but you don't find those much in mid summer. I did go for a walk there one very hot day and found it cool and did come away with a few shots. I am awaiting delivery of a new macro lens and that may prove to be the answer and at least you can lay down on your belly without getting wet in the summer.

Ken
derekhansen e2
6 200 24 United Kingdom
13 Aug 2013 1:04PM
This definitely rings bells with me. As someone who predominantly shoots landscapes i find late summer a bit rubbish. For me Autumn and winter are the seasons when landscapes really get interesting. Spring comes third but late summer just seems dry and faded. There are practical reasons for this. The sunrises are very early and dont last very long. The air quality is often poor with lots of haze and this summer the clear skies and hot weather have been a bit of a turn off photographically.
I dont worry too much about getting blocked. It happens occasionally but so far I have always come out of it. Sometimes it actually helps me re-assess what I am doing photographically and encourages me to look in a slightly different direction.
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
13 Aug 2013 1:51PM
It happens to us all. I get it 2 / 3 times a year, I've learned just to take a break, chil not worry about it. I also have several photogrpahic interests Landscapes / DM / Still lifes, so if ones not doing it I will work on the others until the urge takes me.

Currently landscapes leaves me cold, but I know that will change with the weather my mood inclination etc.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
13 Aug 2013 4:22PM
To use an old cliché, I never have all my eggs in one basket. This summer has been the worst ever for my photography; severe flooding in our province in June has destroyed , or altered for the worse, almost all of my favorite sites, it has been devastating. I had planned several projects for the summer, but either the sites are no longer accessible, or they no longer exist. However, not to worry, I've stepped up my walking, so to speak, also my reading; got back into music again, and take more shots of the grandchildren. Lately I've been fine tuning Microsoft Flight Simulator X on my PC and added a few more enhancement programs, so that has taken up quite a bit of my PC time.

That said, we may take a drive to the Rockies this afternoon to give my new lens a workout; maybe I can get a few shots of bulldozers, and dump trucks as they continue cleaning up the mess left behind by the floods.Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.