Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Anyone familiar with carpet cleaners?

justin c e2
11 4.6k 36 England
1 Feb 2013 12:06PM
Apologies for a completely non photography related question but I was hoping I could count on the wealth of information available from Ephotozine members.

Carpet cleaners!! Having just decorated, I'm keen to get my carpets cleaned. My first thought was to get a quote for getting them cleaned, until it was suggested to me about hiring one and doing it myself. I'm more than happy to do them myself, in fact, I would probably prefer to as long as I'm able to do a good job.

A Google search revealed a couple of options; HSS Hire for about 18.50 (inc vat) for a days hire and this option RugDoctor for about 22.50 for a day and available from many local outlets.

My question is; Has anyone hired a carpet cleaner? Is it possible to get excellent results, preferably as good as having them done professionally? Anyone specifically used the machines from the companies above? Any tips, advice and pit falls to watch out for.

Thank you.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Stuart463 e2
7 588 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2013 12:27PM
I have used the Rug Doctor with excellent results. Hired mine from B&Q but beware, the detergent will cost extra ...
justin c e2
11 4.6k 36 England
1 Feb 2013 12:47PM
That's encouraging. Thanks Stuart Smile. I've allowed for the extra cost of the detergent and any spot removal treatments.
Rug doctor excellent save money by using carpet shampoo from home bargains
1 Feb 2013 4:42PM

Quote:Rug doctor excellent save money by using carpet shampoo from home bargains

or Poundland.

I bought a heavy duty Vax carpet shampooer from TJ Hughes online for 99 and get my liquid from Poundland.
janeez e2
6 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2013 4:43PM
Rug doctor are very good but I decided to buy my own. Bissell carpet cleaner. Excellent. Does a great job.

Beware the cheap shampoo it is nowhere near as good as the proper ones as my sister found out when she did her carpets.
1 Feb 2013 4:52PM
The one that Poundland sell is 1001 3 in 1 for machine cleaners. If you get the normal 1001 it makes too much lather.
justin c e2
11 4.6k 36 England
1 Feb 2013 6:36PM
I've got one reserved with HSS now. They seemed to be the most competitively priced and the detergent isn't overly expensive either and most importantly they're supposed to do a pretty good job.

Thanks to all for your help.
collywobles e2
10 3.4k 9 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2013 9:20PM
I use Rug Doctor and find they do a really great job.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
1 Feb 2013 9:23PM
Get the wife on here hands and knees Smile

When I do my carpets I set up fans to circulate warm air and the carpets dry quicker.
justin c e2
11 4.6k 36 England
1 Feb 2013 9:30PM
Thanks for the tip Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.