Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Anyone fancy a safari in Africa?

fishiee e2
10 469 3 United Kingdom
5 Jul 2007 10:21PM
Ok, this is just an early feeler to see if anyone would be seriously interested in making up a group for a propper photographic safari in Africa?

I know a guide in Uganda who could tailor make for me a dedicated photographic safari for a group of up to 8 for somewhere in the region of 2-3k including all flights etc. for a couple of weeks.

He can do Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, anything from Gorilla Trekking to Masi Migration, birds pretty much whatever you like, if you like a bit of fishing that can even be included as well in what I reckon is THE best place in the world. Possibly he can even organise for a pro wildlife photographer to accompany us on the trip tho this would add to the cost of course.

I was out there fishing myself a couple of weeks back and we were talking about the possibility of organising a serious photographic safari.

I've organised group fishing trips to Africa for the last few years and so am looking to see if anyone out there is interested in a photographic trip and then I'll start to make some plans. It'll be a propper wilderness experience camping out amongst it all.

It's gonna take some organising and is more likely to be in 2009 than 2008 so as I say it's early days yet!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
5 Jul 2007 10:29PM
Hmmm, tempting. Can't commit at the moment but good luck.

Ian
fishiee e2
10 469 3 United Kingdom
5 Jul 2007 10:41PM
hehe I'm not looking for any commitments at this stage, just to see if people are interested and if so, what kind of a trip would attract enough people to make it a goer. That is if there are enough people out there interested in the first place! Smile
5 Jul 2007 11:00PM
bookmarking
stevekhart 8 4.5k 3 United Kingdom
5 Jul 2007 11:26PM
I'm looking to be in the great lakes region in 2008/9 for a photographic trip myself just for a couple of weeks, though probably hooking up with an NGO, but I'd be interested in this.
5 Jul 2007 11:40PM

Quote:Hehe I'm not looking for any commitments at this stage,

In that case..! if t'were 2009 could be very interested...Spent a month in Zimbabwe way back in 1993 (just before Bob started to screw the country up..) and had an absolutely superb time. We have friends who lived there but had to 'escape' virtually penniless thanks to the above character and his ways with the white farmers... Was only armed with (pre-digital..) crude photographic weaponry...I'd love to try again..Once seen Africa can never be forgotten..
pennyspike 11 2.1k 29 United Kingdom
5 Jul 2007 11:58PM
Please keep me (& Spike) in the circle. It depends very much on what is involved, when and how strenous it is likely to be.
I've been to Kenya a couple of times on a photography special and know how good it can be.
andytvcams 12 10.4k United Kingdom
6 Jul 2007 8:49AM
Bookmarking
phil beale 11 1.5k United Kingdom
6 Jul 2007 9:53AM
would be interested but not that keen on the roughing it bit i prefer my comforts (swimming pool bar etc)

There are some nice lodges you can book direct with and use as a base.

Phil
maggiem e2
10 337 United Kingdom
6 Jul 2007 10:47AM
Sooooo tempted. Have always wanted to do this. I'm a bit with Phil here though as I've never 'roughed it' (need my bathroom and somewhere to plug in my hairdryer lol). However I would not only have to save for the trip, but get a better zoom lens..... ummmmmm.... still possible though.
Maggie
bzbee
10 102 3 United Kingdom
8 Jul 2007 10:33AM
Yep - interested too - although don't know where I'm going to get the money.... Keep me posted!
ValSaxby e2
9 140 United Kingdom
8 Jul 2007 11:40AM
Definately interested - cant promise at this stage but is something Ive always wanted to do. Please keep me posted.

Val
geoffash26 10 2.5k United Kingdom
8 Jul 2007 2:17PM
Keep me informed please John
Thanks
Geoff
ARI 12 504 United Kingdom
8 Jul 2007 7:00PM
I am definately interested, details on iternary and dates please.
Thanks
Hari
fishiee e2
10 469 3 United Kingdom
12 Jul 2007 9:24PM
Ok, having double checked this would be lodge based, not camping. I had assumed camping as we do that when we go fishing and he does camping safaris also.

Will try and find out what the options are on lodges. But pool and a bar... that's not a REAL safari Wink

The following link is the guys website which details the camps he operates himself in Uganda. Maybe a little too basic for some, but they are right in the thick of the 'action'. You can see in the photo galleries that you get pretty close to the wildlife even at the camps!

http://www.wildfrontiers.co.ug/index.html

I'm not sure what other places he uses within Uganda or in other countries. I'll try and get some info.

With regards to an itinerary it's very early days yet. 2009 at the earliest for me, and depending on what we want to do would dictate what time of year to go. For example the Mara migration is at specific locations at specific times of the year.

Length of trip I guess would be around a fortnight and I guess take in 2-3 different locations. I've not been on a dedicated wildlife/safari trip before (Though I'm going to Namibia, Botswana and Zambia this October for my first non-fishing Africa trip!) but my feeling is you'd want 4-5 days in a location to make the most of it but too long in the same place would get a bit samey.

An ideal number would be 8 photographers, 2 vehicles with 4 photographers in each for game drives. He has his own custom built enclosed 4x4's with big openings in the roof and big sliding windows ideal for photography from all angles and there's masses of space to move about inside.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.