Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Anyone going to Duxford this weekend

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41108 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jun 2012 - 9:13 PM

Hi all anyone going to Duxford this weekend for the airshow, i am going on saturday and beings it's my first time wondered what time was a good time to go to beat the traffic or is it ok.
gates open at 8am but air show starts at 2pm so not sure what to do really, any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Jun 2012 - 9:13 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

big fella
big fella  11485 forum posts England
27 Jun 2012 - 10:06 PM

Plenty to see and do whilst you are waiting for the flying....

v8dunc
v8dunc  7333 forum posts Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jun 2012 - 10:41 PM

i try to arrive about 7.30,to get a decent position,going sunday this year.Tie your chair to the fence where you want to set up,yhen go for a wander.
plenty to see

Duncan

User_Removed
27 Jun 2012 - 10:50 PM

Hi Ian. I live about 20 mins from Duxford and will be working there on both days.
The traffic can get a little busy as everyone has the same idea of getting there early. However, I think you'll be ok if you get there about 07.30 but who can tell? Just stick with it mate and you'll be in before long hopefully?

I'm there about 06.30 for a press meeting but will be there all day. I'll be wearing a black polo shirt with 'Canon' on the back, dark green 'Falling down' trousers and pulling a black and yellow wheeled box containing my kit. So if you spot me (Tall, big nose, big feet, trimmed beard, left wrist strapped up.....) make yourself known and I'll get you a beer! (But I need to see your passport for proof as I can't buy everyone a beer who says they are Ian Robinson!!! Wink

Hope to bump into you. Smile

Last Modified By User_Removed at 27 Jun 2012 - 10:52 PM
ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41108 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jun 2012 - 11:26 PM

lol just check my photo you'll spot me Grin, ill be looking for you then if beer is on offer Tongue.

ill have a canon 7d with a sigma 120-300 f2.8 and i hope to take a tripod too but not sure if there will be room to do that, i was hoping to get some good HDR shots too.

do you think a 600mm focal length will be too much or ok?

I have a canon 70-200mm f2.8 l is usm as well as the sigma 120-300mm plus converters.

Ill certainly look out for you Laurel it would be nice to see some EPZ guys there.

User_Removed
28 Jun 2012 - 5:47 AM

I won't have a lot of time Ian but certainly time to chat and have a beer with you so I look forward to that.
I'll be shooting aircraft on the ground (Not a great fan of ground to air.) plus other goings on so I carry a couple of short zooms with me but any lenses are good, giving you more choice.

Hopefully see you there. Wink

StuartAt
StuartAt e2 Member 91034 forum postsStuartAt vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jun 2012 - 11:20 AM

I went last year and turned up later (I think it was probably about 10.30 or 11) and drove straight in. Of course, you sacrifice a 'fence line' position and the car parks are pretty full by then, but I still found a good place to shoot from and didn't miss any of the action due to the late start of the flying display.

javam
javam  101083 forum posts United Kingdom19 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jun 2012 - 1:04 PM

Weather permitting I will be there on the Saturday. Rolling kit case, Dad and 17 month old daughter in tow.

Outfit tbc Wink

Should be there for gates opening.

Last Modified By javam at 28 Jun 2012 - 1:04 PM
ianrobinson
28 Jun 2012 - 6:39 PM

look forward to hopefully seeing you guys then, would be nice to see and talk to some epz ers.
Are those rolling kit cases any good compared to a back pack i am guessing they are and save back ache lol.

ianrobinson
28 Jun 2012 - 6:42 PM

what types are the best rolling cases i have 2 canon dslrs and 2 telephoto lenses plus wide angl and what i call the jack of all trades canon 24-105mm l is usm lens
plus filters and 2 flashes would this fit do you think oh plus mono pod and tripod.

what is your opinion, and do they double as a seat lol?

javam
javam  101083 forum posts United Kingdom19 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jun 2012 - 9:03 PM

I tend to only use my rolling cases for airshows and travelling, the rest of the time I use a flipside 400aw or slingshot 202 depending on if I need the 100-400 or not.

I am in the fortunate position of having two rollers to chose from. I have a peli 1510 case I bought for a big holiday a few years back. If it looks like there is going to be a fair amount of rain on Saturday that is the one I will take. It is a hard case, you can sit on, but it does not roll very well, handle is too short, and the hardness means getting stuff to fit can be tricky.

The one I use to store everything in at home and will use if the weather is more promising is a think tank airport security case I won in a comp on here. It is a great case. US domestic carry on so a good size, rolls really well and loads of pockets inside and out.

There are loads of options out there though so of course really depends what you intend to use it for.

ianrobinson
28 Jun 2012 - 9:17 PM

I want something to store most if not all my gear if pos, i have seen the lowpro 300 which looks pretty big but not sure especially at 430 quid so got to think carefully really, want it because it makes sense with all the gear i like having with me.
I have an expedition x8 backpack at the mo but that doesn't really carry everything.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64533 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jun 2012 - 9:27 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I went last time and got some OK pics. This time I'll learn from past mistakes and try to do better.
Smile

KevinEllison
KevinEllison e2 Member 72539 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
28 Jun 2012 - 10:09 PM

Ian, erm....don't you think you're considering taking too much gear...? two flashguns for instance...when will you have a need for/chance to set these up? Maybe you'll spend more energy dragging a wheely case around than getting pictures..for a pro yes, they have to have everything available, but I'd rather be unencumbered and free to roam with, say, a 50mm and a favourite zoom, full stop...

ianrobinson
28 Jun 2012 - 11:51 PM

Yep i think you have miss read why i would like the case. it just makes it easier to carry what you want. i have not been before so it's worth having everything there even if i don't use it.
I know the shots i would like to take home and they do demand a bit of gear to do what i want. flash for portraits if pos. and long teles for the planes. is that ok Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.