Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Anyone going to Duxford this weekend

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2012 - 2:26 PM

I personaly was on the ground, i was also right at the start where they come in to land.
The reason mine look like i had a hieght advantage was thanks to a long telephoto lens for 1 and waiting for the plane to be at the right angle

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Jul 2012 - 2:26 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54203 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2012 - 3:18 PM

Thanks Laurel and Ian. I knew I was in the wrong place and by the time the planes had turned at a nice angle they were well past me. I was one of those side-on clickers. Grin Next time I'll know better and see if I can get down one end. But I was handy for the food stalls and the loo so all was not lost. Smile

javam
javam e2 Member 91083 forum postsjavam vcard United Kingdom19 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2012 - 3:55 PM

As Ian and Laurel have said, it is all about the angle.

I have had a few comments over the years asking if I was in another aircraft with them, but all mine have been taken with feet firmly on the ground.

I was about mid way between the American and land warfare museums. Next time I intend to be down behind the Land Warfare one to get a better view as they break off.

Your side on ones may benefit from a bit of rotation and cropping to give them a bit more of a dynamic look. It does not 'cure all' but if the source shot is properly exposed, sharp, has the cockpit in shot (not critical, but it has to be something pretty special to work when you cannot see it), then a twist and a crop so there is more space in front than behind can make a difference.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54203 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2012 - 4:08 PM

Thank you javam. Very useful tips. Smile
And I envy you your jet images - spectacular.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139388 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2012 - 5:21 PM

Particularly like the Catalina shot, Javam. Smile

User_Removed
2 Jul 2012 - 5:41 PM

Don't get me wrong Chris, there's always a place for the 'Side on' shot but I just prefer to get something a little different.

If you plan to go to other airshows at Duxford, send me a PM before and perhaps we can meet up there and go over a few things?
If you fancy that, that's no problem. I'll even get us somewhere near the toilet!!! Cheers for now and never, ever give up. Smile

Last Modified By User_Removed at 2 Jul 2012 - 5:42 PM
SlowSong
2 Jul 2012 - 6:01 PM

Quote: I'll even get us somewhere near the toilet!!!

That's a very tempting offer Laurel. Grin

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63277 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2012 - 10:33 PM

Congrats to Javam for getting POTW with In the Cold Seat. Cracking shot.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139388 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2012 - 11:15 PM

A terrific photo.......... "timing is everything", as the old saying goes. Smile

javam
javam e2 Member 91083 forum postsjavam vcard United Kingdom19 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2012 - 12:40 AM

Thanks Adrian, CB. Glad you like the Catalina shot too CB. I have been trying to get a half decent shot of that beautiful old bird for years now.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.