Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Anyone got experience of using ACER colour management on their monitors pls?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    SueEley
    SueEley e2 Member 8271 forum postsSueEley vcard Wales96 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Aug 2013 - 1:46 PM

I am looking to get a new widescreen monitor (my 2nd monitor gave up the ghost a while ago, leaving me with just one old ViewSonic nearly square one which is awkward with palettes open in PS). I have been told ACER is good and they certainly look impressive and reasonably priced. Does anyone have experience of how well their native colour profiling system works? The other thing I need to try and find out is if I can connect it to my slightly ageing (early 2008) Mac Pro - so if anyone knows, that would be great, though I can probably find this out by reading the spec more carefully! Any experience or ideas with new monitors (on Mac) would be nice. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    21 Aug 2013 - 1:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Umberto_Vanni
    Umberto_Vanni e2 Member 9366 forum postsUmberto_Vanni vcard Scotland
    21 Aug 2013 - 3:43 PM

I had an Acer monitor. It was cheap and pretty basic. I wanted a cheap widescreen monitor and it fitted the bill at the time. Acer colour management is ok but I found it hard to set up my monitor correctly because it was way off optimum settings. I paid about 80 for mine but if you are prepared to pay a bit more for one with an IPS screen then you will notice a big improvement over cheaper monitors. I now have a Dell U2412 and it's excellent.

SueEley
    SueEley e2 Member 8271 forum postsSueEley vcard Wales96 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Aug 2013 - 9:18 AM

I am considering an NEC now, which is a lot more expensive and does a load of things I don't really understand, so I probably won't use - but the colour out of the box is supposed to be very good, and it is fairly easily adjustable plus you can use colour management devices. I had one years ago, and the only thing I didn't like about that one was the adaptive brightness (which I think I switched off). Now I need to find out what picture in picture is! Grin

GlennH
    GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Aug 2013 - 9:34 AM

An expensive NEC will probably give you hardware calibration, which is a decent thing to have if you need ultimate image quality - generally it means the calibration settings are loaded straight into the monitor LUT using high-bit colour depth, which results in extremely smooth gradients with very little likelihood of banding. In cheaper monitors you don't get this - all the adjustments are made through graphics processor, with the exception of brightness (which is usually a hardware adjustment).

Software profiling can never really produce a great profile - it either borrows from generic onboard data or it uses an sRGB profile - neither of which are going to accurately characterise your monitor. That said, some of the high-end displays do use a factory-set onboard software solution that accommodates the expected degradation of the screen over a period of time and adjusts accordingly. Even in those cases, it's better to stick a calibration device on the screen.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.