Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Anyone have experience of Nikon 135 or 105 F/2 DC Lenses

gavrelle 3 45 England
26 Aug 2013 8:28PM
Anyone on here have any experience or have used the Nikon 135 or 105 F/2 DC lenses. I do a lot of portrait work and am considering buying one of these lenses. There is no better review than asking around!!!!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

27 Aug 2013 1:13PM
I havent used either of these but I use the Nikon 85mm f1.8D and Nikon 180mm f2.8 AF for portraits.
thewilliam 6 5.2k
27 Aug 2013 3:01PM
I have the 135mm DC and, for once, I'd agree with most of what Ken Rockwell says about it.

It's supposed to be the sharpest 135mm that Nikon has ever produced, with the DC set to zero, and can be used wide-open.

I doubt that you'd ever want front defocus but the rear defocus does allow you to create the impression of a lens that's wider open than its iris setting. If you overdo the defocus effect, you get a soft-focus lens.

There are three snags. Firstly it has the worst and clunkiest auto-focus of any lens that I've ever owned but this isn't a problem because I use mine on MF. Secondly, it isn't weather sealed like the 105mm VR Micro but I work in a studio. Thirdly, it doesn't focus as close as I'd like and I keep having to move myself back to minimum focus distance.

Bottom line: well worth getting if you're a portrait photographer.

Check out the 100mm Zeiss Makro-Planar if you're thinking of getting the 105mm because it's also f2 but focuses to half life-size.
gavrelle 3 45 England
29 Aug 2013 11:06PM
Thank you for your input

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.