Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Anyone have experience of Nikon 135 or 105 F/2 DC Lenses

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    gavrelle
    gavrelle  230 forum posts England
    26 Aug 2013 - 8:28 PM

Anyone on here have any experience or have used the Nikon 135 or 105 F/2 DC lenses. I do a lot of portrait work and am considering buying one of these lenses. There is no better review than asking around!!!!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 Aug 2013 - 8:28 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Andyphotography

I havent used either of these but I use the Nikon 85mm f1.8D and Nikon 180mm f2.8 AF for portraits.

thewilliam
    27 Aug 2013 - 3:01 PM

I have the 135mm DC and, for once, I'd agree with most of what Ken Rockwell says about it.

It's supposed to be the sharpest 135mm that Nikon has ever produced, with the DC set to zero, and can be used wide-open.

I doubt that you'd ever want front defocus but the rear defocus does allow you to create the impression of a lens that's wider open than its iris setting. If you overdo the defocus effect, you get a soft-focus lens.

There are three snags. Firstly it has the worst and clunkiest auto-focus of any lens that I've ever owned but this isn't a problem because I use mine on MF. Secondly, it isn't weather sealed like the 105mm VR Micro but I work in a studio. Thirdly, it doesn't focus as close as I'd like and I keep having to move myself back to minimum focus distance.

Bottom line: well worth getting if you're a portrait photographer.

Check out the 100mm Zeiss Makro-Planar if you're thinking of getting the 105mm because it's also f2 but focuses to half life-size.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 27 Aug 2013 - 3:03 PM
    gavrelle
    gavrelle  230 forum posts England
    29 Aug 2013 - 11:06 PM

Thank you for your input

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.