Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Anyone in the removals business ?

Taxboy e2
12 199
22 Jul 2011 10:07PM
I'm about to move house and we're on a long distance move and some of our stuff will have to go into store while we house hunt. So is it cheaper to :

1) have a local firm store it and then when we finally get a place get them to delivery it directly to our new house or

2) Get the local firm to delivery it to a store near where we want to buy and then get it delivered or

3) It doesn't really matter

Any pointers appreciated just to try and cut down the amount of time I'm spending on the phone sorting things out at the mo

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
22 Jul 2011 10:18PM
Logistically I wouldnt have thought it mattered, however cost wise it might. It might be cheaper to store it where you are now or it might not, only the removal and storage firms would be able to give you quotes that could possibly make your decision a bit easier... I would have thought.

edit: oops sorry poss shouldnt have commented as I'm not a removal person Grin
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
22 Jul 2011 10:36PM
Not in the removal business.

But I would have thought moving and storing the stuff to where you have moved to would be the best option.
Purely for a practical reason.... if you decided that you needed something it would be easier to get access to it
Hugo e2
9 647 United Kingdom
23 Jul 2011 12:53AM
Suppose it depends where you're moving??!! I'm guessing that (like most things) storage in London would cost a lot more than say in Bradford.
indemnity 6 331
23 Jul 2011 4:19PM
I've made similar moves, only from country to country too. Get 3 companies to quote, you'd be surprised at the different amounts charged.
cats_123 e2
10 4.3k 25 Northern Ireland
23 Jul 2011 10:10PM
We've had stuff in storage for about 2 yrs...it stayed in England and has now been transferred to NI pending delivery next month...I don't think it will make a lot of difference where you store.

You just need to find a remover who has a safe and secure facility. Good luck in your house hunting Smile
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
24 Jul 2011 1:17AM
Don't make the mistake I did a few years back and keep furniture too long in storage. The storage charges can mount up to more than buying new furniture!
Taxboy e2
12 199
24 Jul 2011 8:05AM

Quote:Don't make the mistake I did a few years back and keep furniture too long in storage. The storage charges can mount up to more than buying new furniture!

Good point - hopefully it won't drag on that long Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.