Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Anyone know what's going on here?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Jaff
    Jaff  61 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Feb 2013 - 3:20 PM

Hi all.

Here we have the same shot done in RAW. One converted in ACR and one converted with DPP. No processing applied by me other than web resizing done in Photoshop CS3. For some reason the ACR produces what looks like a corrupted image but the image can't be corrupted because it appears normal in FastStone and is normal when converted with DPP. I even opened the converted DPP file (be it JPEG or TIFF) into ACR from within photoshop and it stayed normal.

All of the shots I took of these fountains (Canon 50D + 70-200mm f2.8 IS II) came out in a similar fashion but shots I took before and after the fountain shots open up into ACR completely normal. Any ideas why this has happened? img-9581photoshop-acr.jpgimg-9581dpp.jpg

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Feb 2013 - 3:20 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GarethRobinson
    GarethRobinson e2 Member 8980 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Feb 2013 - 3:38 PM

looks like the blue channel is overly clipped, not corrupt. I could be wrong.

mikehit
    mikehit  56335 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Feb 2013 - 3:50 PM

I woudl agree with clipped blue channel.
    It does not surprise me at all that DPP handles it better than ACR - in some extreme cases Canon's knowledge of how their hardware works will show an advantage.

GlennH
    GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Feb 2013 - 7:29 PM

The blue could easily be oversaturation (i.e. extremely clipped blue channel), but maybe the cyan is a woeful attempt at highlight recovery? Difficult to know without the opportunity to try and replicate it.

Dave_Canon
    22 Feb 2013 - 7:55 PM

Saw a similar example on another forum but the poster made the Raw file available. When I looked at the Raw file in LR, I found that the blue was out of gamut but adjusting the WB soon fixed this and got rid of the clipping. Although I do not normally use DPP myself, I believe that many believe that it is better than ACR because they may not be aware that (at least for most recent Canon DSLR's) the setting in the camera (settings for JPEG, contrast, WB , sharpness, colour balance, picture style etc.) are use as the default initial settings by DPP. So a lot of processing is applied by default. For LR or ACR this is not the case you need to select the settings yourself (or use a preset). I would not criticise the DPP approach as most photographers might appreciate having a default based on camera settings. However, I like to be in full control so prefer the more neutral approach of LR/ACR.

Dave

Dave_Canon
    23 Feb 2013 - 10:21 AM

Having just re-read my comment above, I just wish to make clear one point. Although DPP may start with default settings from the camera, you are free to change those settings in DPP as you would in other Raw converters.

Dave

Jaff
    Jaff  61 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Feb 2013 - 1:03 PM

So are you saying what has caused this then is that some of the colours in the shots I took are just too blue, green, purple or whatever for ACR to recognise them and it has attempted to autmotically recover them in some way where as DPP has not done any automatic image adjustment. The numbers do run pretty big like well into the 200's and in some cases upto 255 which would support the clipping suggestion.

Last Modified By Jaff at 23 Feb 2013 - 1:11 PM
    Dave_Canon
    23 Feb 2013 - 4:23 PM

It is difficult to be certain but in a similar very blue image it was a case of out of gamut colours which would be true whether using ACR or DPP. If you were using Lightroom 4.3, it has a excellent soft proofing facility which allows easy analysis of out of gamut problems. Very strong colours may actually be out of gamut for your monitor not just printer. However, I am sure your image can be easily processed in both ACR and DPP just by using the right settings.

Dave

GlennH
    GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Feb 2013 - 6:27 PM

To me it looks like pure over-saturation in the blue channel, but the cyan is a bit funkier than that! There's very little RGB data in that part of the image, with blue and green channels both clipped, and it would take a radical move to turn the red channel to solid cyan. Like Dave, I tend to think it's purely down to some wayward settings, or a poor camera profile perhaps - zeroing to default settings I'd imagine would clear this up.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.