Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Anyone seen a wifi CF card?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315548 forum posts England
5 Sep 2012 - 12:41 PM

I am trying to find out if there is a wifi CF card I could use in my 40D or 5D.

Eye-fi only do SDHC cards, and claim that they do not work with SD/CF adaptors. I found various discussions from some time ago about how to do this, but wondered if anyone here knows of such a thing.

I don't want to spend 700+ on a Canon one - may as well by an Eye-fi and a new camera

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Sep 2012 - 12:41 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314975 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
5 Sep 2012 - 11:59 PM

Yep look here, also linked a compact flash card adapter.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eye-Fi-Wireless-SDHC-Memory-Card/dp/B003E47XJ0/ref=sr_1_...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/High-Speed-CompactFlash-Adapter-Support/dp/B0052GXXWY/re...

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314975 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2012 - 12:05 AM

Ignore that adapter link, seems some work and some don`t

I`ve seen this compact flash wireless card, but I have no idea if it will be of any use.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cablematic-wireless-adapter-CompactFlash-802-11-b/dp/B00...

User_Removed
6 Sep 2012 - 12:08 AM

Looks like it's for laptops or PDAs to connect em to networks. Can't believe Eye-Fi haven't made a CF version of their product yet as a lot of high end cameras use CF.

Paul Morgan
6 Sep 2012 - 12:52 AM

Yeh I gathered that was a networking card, I realise now that there will be problems since it has no internal memory to use as its own buffer.

CF cards are going out of fashion in most consumer grade camera`s, would there be much of a call for them.

I don`t believe the 40D likes wifi cards that much anyway.

User_Removed
6 Sep 2012 - 9:23 AM

Have been doing loads of tethered shooting and so long as my USB wire is positioned nicely and is the right length it doesn't bother me. Usually have it going over my shoulder. Pictures come up really quick on computer screen even though I am shooting raw. Have heard it can take sometimes take two minutes or more with Eye-Fi cards. I'd rather use the cable for the speed and compromise on the flexibility. Also good being able to use Live View on laptop to position camera in tight corners. The EOS utility software for remote shooting is very good too.

mediaman
mediaman  4 Scotland
6 Sep 2012 - 10:50 AM

Quote: Have been doing loads of tethered shooting and so long as my USB wire is positioned nicely and is the right length it doesn't bother me. Usually have it going over my shoulder. Pictures come up really quick on computer screen even though I am shooting raw. Have heard it can take sometimes take two minutes or more with Eye-Fi cards. I'd rather use the cable for the speed and compromise on the flexibility. Also good being able to use Live View on laptop to position camera in tight corners. The EOS utility software for remote shooting is very good too.

Is there a max length of USB cable for tethered shooting ? instead of a laptop, anybody tried using an ipad ?

Chrism8
Chrism8  7743 forum posts England13 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2012 - 10:56 AM

I've been using an Eye-Fi card for a while now ( SDHC version ) and you can configure the device to only send Jpegs, so I shoot Raw+jpeg, set the camera to the lowest jpeg file size ( 2mp ) and it pings across in 20 seconds or less,

Cheers

Chris

Big Bri
6 Sep 2012 - 2:38 PM

So, basically I can't do it then?

Paul Morgan
6 Sep 2012 - 2:40 PM

I can remember reading somewhere that the 40D had problems with wifi cards.

Chrism8
Chrism8  7743 forum posts England13 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2012 - 2:46 PM

[anybody tried using an ipad]

Should have mentioned earlier Smile ping mine to a Motorola Zoom ( Android ) tablet.

Cheers

Chris

Last Modified By Chrism8 at 6 Sep 2012 - 2:47 PM
Big Bri
6 Sep 2012 - 3:30 PM

Chris L, sorry i missed your comment earlier. Where I'm thinking of shooting, it really would not be possible to be dragging a USB cable behind me Smile

Paul Morgan
6 Sep 2012 - 3:35 PM

Quote: Is there a max length of USB cable for tethered shooting ? instead of a laptop, anybody tried using an ipad ?

I don`t think its recommended above 5 meters

Quote: it really would not be possible to be dragging a USB cable behind me

How about a cheapish 2nd camera, I`m seeing GH2`s going for quite silly prices now, now there`s a GH3 on the way.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-panasonic-lumix-dmc-gh2-black-digital-camera-...

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 6 Sep 2012 - 3:37 PM
User_Removed
6 Sep 2012 - 4:15 PM

You can get 10m USB booster cables like this for a few quid.

All of the remote shooting apps for iPad seem to require a computer to act as go-between. There's a one for Android for Canon cameras.

USB cable is no good for something like event photography but have used it like that with a laptop in the woods and places like that. Would love a fast wireless solution. There's a homebrew USB solution (where the USB is wireless but the camera and computer think it's a cable) in one of my old topics about wireless shooting somewhere on this site.

Big Bri
6 Sep 2012 - 5:20 PM

Well, I certain wouldn't buy a Panasonic, since all my gear is Canon.

I have a G12, which takes an SDHC card, but if I was going to spend 700 quid to make my 40D wireless, I may as well buy a 60D and Eye fi.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.