Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Anyone tried a monopod for HDR?

Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
6 Nov 2010 10:29PM
I'm going to a stately home tomorrow, I can't use a tripod - has anyone tried a monopod for HDR. I will be trying it but would be interested in hearing what others have found.

If it's called for I will use higher ISO and probably use exposure blending to control the noise.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
6 Nov 2010 10:33PM
I have used a monopod for HDR, and have even hand held for HDR as photomatix can align the images very well so as long as you are above camera shake speeds it works fine. Just set your cameras fastest frame rate and give it a go.
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
6 Nov 2010 10:38PM
Thanks John, I'm actually looking forward to the challenge. I've no quarks about using the monopod or hand holding, the only thing I'm not confident with is getting all the bracket pin sharp.
fraser 10 631 14 Scotland
6 Nov 2010 11:03PM
I've also handheld for a three image HDR and using the camera on autobracket and high speed motordrive. The photograph is in my pf here .
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
6 Nov 2010 11:04PM
Depending on your camera's capabilities, set it to 5 shot, 1 stop auto bracket, high speed burst mode. That is what I use when I take handheld HDR (eg the last one in my portfolio).

It needs to be auto bracket because the act of moving the control wheel will change the position of the camera and your images won't align.

Ian
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
6 Nov 2010 11:20PM
Thanks Ian. It's a while since I did any hdr but I always use autobracket. I'm just concerned about getting sufficient dof indoors with sufficient shutter speed. I will be using a 24-70 on full frame mainly at 24, so I guess 1/24 is the lowest I want to go for the overexposed image.

I might take the 20mm prime too.
Dave_Canon 8 940 United Kingdom
7 Nov 2010 11:59AM
If it is the only way to get the shot, it is worth trying anyway. I have taken a handheld night scene (brightly lit street) just 3 Raw exposures auto bracketing but manual exposure. I had to choose a fairly high ISO (1600) and the slowest of the three speeds was 1/8. I leant against a tree to steady myself and used the 2 second timer to fire the shutter. However, a key factor was that I was using a IS lens. While there was probaly some small misalignment in the three shots, Photomatix handled this fine. I find that PM can handle small errors very well.

I do not have a monopod and have wondered whether to get one for the type of situation you describe. You might see if you could get into the stately home on a non-public day then use a tripod. Once or twice a year, we arrange a Club outing to such places at non-public times and pay a fee to cover staff costs but this gives us several hours to take photos as we wish including tripods. So far our trips have been very successful with some NT places allowing this well before the recent change in policy. At one recent visit, the local NT Manager had been against the new policy and very reluctantly agreed to our visit. By the end of the visit the Manager told us that his concerns had been completely misplaced and he would now be keen to extend the arrangement to other organised photographers.

Dave
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
7 Nov 2010 10:17PM
Thanks Dave. When possible I will use a tripod, it's just I'm trying to use it on family days out, which typically are Sundays so tripods are frowned on.

It's something I will try, I was going to give it a go today but it never quite worked out.
8 Nov 2010 5:50PM
I do a lot of handheld 3 image hdr, very rearly get any alignment issues, if I do I'll align them in photoshop first
emsago 4 4
22 Nov 2010 4:44PM
Have you been trying from RAW image... just as good as 3+ images. There is a great tutorial for that.
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
22 Nov 2010 4:54PM
Thank you for the information. I always record RAW - using a single RAW is good (you shouldn't need to do 3 conversions as many do as the RAW already has all the information present that converting to 3 TIFF's would have), but it still cannot record all the dynamic range in some circumstances (bright windows - even +/- 2 stop frequently struggles). When I've used it before for one RAW it tends to produce a lot of noise - its more tone mapping rather than true HDR.

Thanks again

Nick
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2010 4:57PM
I find that in RAW converters these days they have the +/-1 stop HDR like feature built in (Well C1 does) so no need to go to photmatix with the same RAW file developed 3 times. But still as Nick points out there are times you want more.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.