Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Anyone tried a monopod for HDR?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73848 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Nov 2010 - 10:29 PM

I'm going to a stately home tomorrow, I can't use a tripod - has anyone tried a monopod for HDR. I will be trying it but would be interested in hearing what others have found.

If it's called for I will use higher ISO and probably use exposure blending to control the noise.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    6 Nov 2010 - 10:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
    strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Nov 2010 - 10:33 PM

I have used a monopod for HDR, and have even hand held for HDR as photomatix can align the images very well so as long as you are above camera shake speeds it works fine. Just set your cameras fastest frame rate and give it a go.

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73848 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Nov 2010 - 10:38 PM

Thanks John, I'm actually looking forward to the challenge. I've no quarks about using the monopod or hand holding, the only thing I'm not confident with is getting all the bracket pin sharp.

fraser
    fraser  10631 forum posts Scotland14 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Nov 2010 - 11:03 PM

I've also handheld for a three image HDR and using the camera on autobracket and high speed motordrive. The photograph is in my pf here.

digicammad
    digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Nov 2010 - 11:04 PM

Depending on your camera's capabilities, set it to 5 shot, 1 stop auto bracket, high speed burst mode. That is what I use when I take handheld HDR (eg the last one in my portfolio).

It needs to be auto bracket because the act of moving the control wheel will change the position of the camera and your images won't align.

Ian

Nick_w
    6 Nov 2010 - 11:20 PM

Thanks Ian. It's a while since I did any hdr but I always use autobracket. I'm just concerned about getting sufficient dof indoors with sufficient shutter speed. I will be using a 24-70 on full frame mainly at 24, so I guess 1/24 is the lowest I want to go for the overexposed image.

I might take the 20mm prime too.

Dave_Canon
    7 Nov 2010 - 11:59 AM

If it is the only way to get the shot, it is worth trying anyway. I have taken a handheld night scene (brightly lit street) just 3 Raw exposures auto bracketing but manual exposure. I had to choose a fairly high ISO (1600) and the slowest of the three speeds was 1/8. I leant against a tree to steady myself and used the 2 second timer to fire the shutter. However, a key factor was that I was using a IS lens. While there was probaly some small misalignment in the three shots, Photomatix handled this fine. I find that PM can handle small errors very well.

I do not have a monopod and have wondered whether to get one for the type of situation you describe. You might see if you could get into the stately home on a non-public day then use a tripod. Once or twice a year, we arrange a Club outing to such places at non-public times and pay a fee to cover staff costs but this gives us several hours to take photos as we wish including tripods. So far our trips have been very successful with some NT places allowing this well before the recent change in policy. At one recent visit, the local NT Manager had been against the new policy and very reluctantly agreed to our visit. By the end of the visit the Manager told us that his concerns had been completely misplaced and he would now be keen to extend the arrangement to other organised photographers.

Dave

Nick_w
    7 Nov 2010 - 10:17 PM

Thanks Dave. When possible I will use a tripod, it's just I'm trying to use it on family days out, which typically are Sundays so tripods are frowned on.

It's something I will try, I was going to give it a go today but it never quite worked out.

swanseamale47

I do a lot of handheld 3 image hdr, very rearly get any alignment issues, if I do I'll align them in photoshop first

emsago
    emsago  3
    22 Nov 2010 - 4:44 PM

Have you been trying from RAW image... just as good as 3+ images. There is a great tutorial for that.

Nick_w
    22 Nov 2010 - 4:54 PM

Thank you for the information. I always record RAW - using a single RAW is good (you shouldn't need to do 3 conversions as many do as the RAW already has all the information present that converting to 3 TIFF's would have), but it still cannot record all the dynamic range in some circumstances (bright windows - even +/- 2 stop frequently struggles). When I've used it before for one RAW it tends to produce a lot of noise - its more tone mapping rather than true HDR.

Thanks again

Nick

strawman
    strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Nov 2010 - 4:57 PM

I find that in RAW converters these days they have the +/-1 stop HDR like feature built in (Well C1 does) so no need to go to photmatix with the same RAW file developed 3 times. But still as Nick points out there are times you want more.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.