Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Anyone used a logo design company?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    derbyshirelass
    26 Mar 2013 - 2:55 PM

Hi
    I would really like to get a logo which will be used on my website, business cards and cd sleeves etc.
    I don't have the skills to do this myself. There are a number of companies advertising logo design on the web and here on epz. Have any of you used a logo design company and feel able to recommend anyone in particular? Or are there any pitfalls I should be aware of - e.g. hidden costs etc?

Thanks for reading and all advice gratefully received.

Sue

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 Mar 2013 - 2:55 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73802 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Mar 2013 - 3:05 PM

Drop Paul a line, I'm sure he will point you in the right diresction

cirrusminor
    cirrusminor e2 Member 6380 forum postscirrusminor vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Mar 2013 - 3:45 PM

Before you pay why not ask if anyone on epz could help out...
    There are plenty of creative people on here Wink

blastedkane
    26 Mar 2013 - 3:46 PM

ONe thing that I would check if you go with a "cheap" company (or any company) is that you

a) will own the copyright for the logo (or at least full reproduction permissions) so that you can put it on all manner of marketing material in the future. For example vistaprint will do it for you so that you can order their cards and their headed paper etc. however when I have asked them (on behalf of a friend) in the past about other uses (say taking the logo an putting it on a poster I have designed for that friend) they were a lot more cagy about the permissions that I would have. Although in theory your are commissioning the logo, the cheaper options tend to have a lot of strings atached

b) can you get the logo in a "vector" format. If they will only provide a med - large jpeg then this will be fine for business cards and/or stationary and a website. however it will be more difficult to take a 1000px X 1000px jpeg and make large enough for printing on the side of a van for example. If in the future you ever require something much larger (think building signs and massive posters) then you may have to get someone to "reverse engineer it" which can prove expensive (and possibly prohibited by the original copyright)

Last Modified By blastedkane at 26 Mar 2013 - 3:49 PM
    roblewisphotoco

http://www.pointwentyfive.com/ Try this guy he is working on a logo for me, he works freelance for some top London advertising agencies but takes personal work email at karl.hall@hotmail.com

sut68
    sut68  101994 forum posts England76 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Mar 2013 - 6:03 PM

Some good points raised above. In all likelihood you won't have a problem with permissions for reproducing how you see fit with a reputable company or individual as they probably wouldn't care - but they may wish to try and quote you for your repro requirements to make a little extra if possible.

Getting scalable vector graphics of the logo is definitely preferable so you can increase the output size whenever the situation arises. Vector graphics tend to be smaller in file size but that said, if you wanted anything photographic [say a flower] incorporated within your logo, the designer would need to embed this image within the Vector ... this may take the overall file size up depending on how big the image needed to be.

Also discuss with your designer about looking into spot colour, CMYK and mono reproduction and get them to supply the associated logos for your needs too. If you look at producing your business cards and stationery using traditional litho printing methods, then the number of colours used in your logo will likely impact on price as each becomes a printing plate and has a cost associated with it. 1 or 2 spot colour logos will be cheaper than 3, 4 or even more using this method.

If you are planning on using an online business card printing company then this shouldn't be an issue as they probably use CMYK [4 colour] digital printing anyway.

Hope this helps!!!

sut68
    25 Apr 2013 - 1:06 PM

Hope you are all sorted now Sue? Wink

Nikon_2013
    25 Apr 2013 - 6:19 PM

I use Fiverr for all my logo's, although you do have to go through a lot of the sellers to find the very good ones just looking to build up a portfolio rather than just using crap automated software as a lot of them do. Seldom do I end up with something crap but it does happen, but then we are only talking about $5 Smile

derbyshirelass
    28 Apr 2013 - 2:53 PM

Thanks for all the helpful replies! I'm now sorted and delighted with my logo!

Epz pointed me in the direction of a very talented, friendly, helpful graphic designer! Thanks to everyone, but especially Paul

Sue

sut68
    28 Apr 2013 - 7:03 PM

You are very welcome Sue, my pleasure Grin x

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade  1014708 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Apr 2013 - 11:48 AM

lets have a look at the logo then Wink

sut68
    29 Apr 2013 - 2:26 PM

... not my place big guy Tongue I am sure you will able to see it when Sue gets her website sorted though!!!

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade  1014708 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Apr 2013 - 4:24 PM

booo Wink

will keep an eye out for it

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.