Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Anyone used SLR Hut?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mikemarita
2 Feb 2012 - 11:19 AM

Taken from website.

SLRHut’s roots date back 10 years when we began offering professional camera and camcorder equipment for sale locally in New York and quickly expanded online selling to the entire United States. Despite the extremely large consumer base that we had built up over the past 10 years, we know that most people around the world in the market for professional camera and camcorder equipment are not getting the best possible prices from most vendors. We than placed the burden of expanding our target market onto our marketing teams shoulders. Alas, they had figured it out; these same products that we offer for sale in United States are being sold in the UK at prices 20% - 40% higher than ours; so began our venture into the UK market and we have not looked back since.

Our inventory is always fully stocked and with close ties to many manufacturers and distributors across the world, on the rare occasion when a special order needs to be placed, you are certainly in good hands; we are good at finding needles in haystacks.

With a physical presence now in London, we make it even easier for our customers if ever a product needs to be returned.

7D body £750
5D body £1179

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Feb 2012 - 11:19 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
mikehit  56457 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2012 - 11:38 AM

There was a thread about them back in Nov 11

http://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/canon-5d2-price-drop-93597

There seems to be question marks as to whether they have a 'genuine' UK presence.

alansnap
alansnap e2 Member 10529 forum postsalansnap vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2012 - 1:54 PM

There are some reviews here: Trust Pilot They import from the US and seem to be efficient, though replacement battery chargers for the Canon 5D Mk2 were non-Canon according to one review. The only concern I would have is whether warranty conditions might be compromised. I bought a Canon film camera from the US and as far as I remember there wasn't a problem, but you should check.
Alan

mikemarita
2 Feb 2012 - 2:42 PM

Alan it does seem that the purchasers were very happy with the service they received very recently. I might contact Canon about the warranty issue. Thanks.

MikeA
MikeA  91173 forum posts England
2 Feb 2012 - 3:32 PM

Quote: Alan it does seem that the purchasers were very happy with the service they received very recently. I might contact Canon about the warranty issue. Thanks.

Assuming they were genuine purchasers ;=)

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2012 - 3:59 PM

In the past Canon UK have a straightforward approach to this. If the camera is sourced from a UK supplier they honour the warranty, otherwise it is a grey import and so your warranty is with the seller. In any case the contract is between you and the supplier not Canon. Also if you buy from a US company you are not protected by the European legislation etc. You need to check are they trading as a UK company or not. If it is a camera for the USA market then its warranty will be in that market, not the UK.

For L series lenses the situation is different as they come with international warranties.

rhol2
rhol2 e2 Member 3296 forum postsrhol2 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
3 Feb 2012 - 2:11 PM

See also a thread in this forum 23/12/2011.

As noted above SLR hut seem to be giving out misleading information .The "UK Presence" is a rented accommodation address, though they refer to it as "Unit 17" suggesting a warehouse or retail premises. They seem to be USA based and ship from there, so are not a UK company as such.The warranty issue seems debatable.

It appears their quoted prices do not include VAT.

Last Modified By rhol2 at 3 Feb 2012 - 2:14 PM
LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62478 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
4 Feb 2012 - 4:26 PM

The implied query is - are they safe to use?
They are not registered at Companies House so they are not a UK company.
The conditions mention deducting £31 shipping and any import duties are deducted if returned (presumably to USA but not clear) to the country they were dispatched from http://www.slrhut.co.uk/policy-index/
Camera bodies have a battery charger, have to be tested to local electricity standards, and USA DSLR warranties are not honoured in the UK; partly for this reason.
Whether VAT is paid is unclear - if not you are responsible for paying 20% VAT.
Digressing slightly I recently shipped a second hand lens to Switzerland - not an EEC country. I agreed with the customer import duties were likely and he would pay the tax.
To insure it in transit I had to declare the selling price on the Customs form, and the customer got charged the equivalent of Swiss VAT. Something similar may apply to returns to USA - with perhaps 15% of the selling price being deducted from a refund.
Spending several hundred pounds with a company not registered in UK which seems not to make it's probable USA sales location clear on it's web site is a risk I would not take.

User_Removed
4 Feb 2012 - 4:45 PM

Quote: They are not registered at Companies House so they are not a UK company

I know plenty of UK businesses who aren't registered at Companies House, all that means is that they aren't a limited company.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139444 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2012 - 2:22 AM

You could always give SLR Hut a call and ask a few questions - they have a London phone number. Contact details here.

LenShepherd
6 Feb 2012 - 3:40 PM

Quote: They are not registered at Companies House so they are not a UK company

I know plenty of UK businesses who aren't registered at Companies House, all that means is that they aren't a limited company.

Yes but - if the name ends "co.uk" some assume a UK company and full UK legal rights.
UK registered companies are required to show their company number, and partnerships/sole traders are required to show individuals names on their letter heading.

A wise step before parting with a lot of money is to check if you are dealing with an honest company or person and whether or not you have the considerable legal protection available on UK jurisdiction transactions.

User_Removed
6 Feb 2012 - 4:22 PM

I don't think for a second that SLR Hut are a UK company but your statement "They are not registered at Companies House so they are not a UK company" isn't true because it's possible to have a UK business and a UK domain and operate from the UK without having to register at Companies House.

It's bad advice because people may use it and dismiss perfectly legit UK firms because of it.

Hugo
Hugo  9639 forum posts United Kingdom
6 Feb 2012 - 4:35 PM

From what I can tell the main issue is that the prices are ex VAT, and that this is not 100% clear, and when you get to the last part of checkout, suddenly everything will jump up by 20%?

Steven9761
1 May 2012 - 2:55 PM

Their "presence" in the UK is actually a drop-box at MAILBOXES, ETC at 336 Kennington Lane, London SE11. If you are shelling out £400-500 for a camera or whatever, this is the last place I'd spend it!

If anybody's interested, I'm selling a range of 10ft bargepoles that you can touch this company with!! Grin

LenShepherd
2 May 2012 - 9:09 AM

Quote: I don't think for a second that SLR Hut are a UK company but your statement "They are not registered at Companies House so they are not a UK company" isn't true because it's possible to have a UK business and a UK domain and operate from the UK without having to register at Companies House.

My comment is 100% accurate.
In the UK there can be companies (which I referred to), sole traders and partnerships.
Getting down to detail UK company letters must include the Companies House registration details, partnership letters must show all the partners names, and sole trading names must show the name of the sole trader.
Many presume a web name like "ABC photo.co.uk" is a UK company - whereas "co.uk" can be a web address trading from USA or the Far East.
UK Sales of Goods legislation protection is very good - but is primarily restricted to UK sales by UK companies.
The "better" overseas "co.uk" web sites (usually in the about us or Terms and Conditions links) say where they are based, what their return policy is (sometimes big deductions), UK import duty conditions (often the buyer is made responsible), taxes levied if goods are returned to USA etc (often deductible from any refund) and maybe how long a warranty repair might take.
Once a potential buyer has this information it is possible to take a guess as to the likely costs involved if there is a problem - most of which would not apply to a UK purchase from a UK company.
If any important information is missing from an overseas web site there is potentially high risk. Using a bargepole has already been suggested when appropriate.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.