Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Anyone watch "Dispatches" on Channel 4 tonight?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    starstriders
    19 Dec 2005 - 2:20 PM

Will it change the way you shop for Christmas?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    19 Dec 2005 - 2:20 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

UserRemoved
    19 Dec 2005 - 2:23 PM

Nope.

Didnt see it

So do tell.....

starstriders
    19 Dec 2005 - 2:40 PM

You'd have to have seen it I'm afraid...interested in the reaction...if anyone did see it?! Wink

SuziBlue
    SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Dec 2005 - 10:53 PM

Didn't see it. But personally I like a low-key non-debt Christmas.

Come on, spill the beans ;=)

redsnappa
    redsnappa  111911 forum posts United Kingdom
    20 Dec 2005 - 1:47 AM

What is realy in your Christmas diner

Another shock the nation program created to inform the poorley paid that their mass produced food is far inferior to the organic/hand reared food that graces the table of the well off.

warb
    warb  10839 forum posts
    20 Dec 2005 - 1:51 AM

didn't watch it, i enjoy my christmas dinner.

SuziBlue
    SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Dec 2005 - 6:11 AM

Oh! yes I saw it. I switched on after the titles so didn't realise it was Dispatches.

But then, I'm a vegetarian and I've known about those farming methods for at least a couple of decades now. They could have shown much worse footage than that but probably thought people would complain ;-]

Must admit to buying (vegetarian) mince pies though, with vegetable suet in them. Trouble of course is those hydrogenated fats in the pastry - hence a quick go at baking some tonight for tomorrow's department do.

And I lurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrv sprouts.

Chestnut and sage loaf, anyone?

8-]

contemporary dave
    20 Dec 2005 - 11:38 PM

I saw it and there were no suprises.

In the last year, my wife and I have switched over to only buying organic/free range meat (from Waitrose - they are by far the best for meat - their beef is superb).

It costs more, but it tastes miles better.

Sus
    Sus  93183 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Dec 2005 - 11:59 PM

Even Waitrose can have their off days - I tend to stick to their venison, usually it is superb.

I am sick of the way the big supermarkets treat suppliers (eg. by paying them right at the end of the 30 day period apparently they make billions in interest, at the expense of the suppliers), sick of the environmental damage, the churning out of cheap pap to tempt children (ahem and the rest of us mortals!), and the way we are losing small, local shops.

However, I'm also a bit sick of supermarket bashing, of which I am the biggest culprit. It really is up to the consumer. We can't complain that the small shops are closing if we want everything cheaper and more conveniently under one roof. We need to get the supermarkets to play ball as well and treat their suppliers and customers with respect. Waitrose is better than most, they have a local food promotion scheme and also support the LEAF scheme.

I also WISH people would understand the concept of free-rangearianism, some people just can't get their head round it so I just give up and say for feeding purposes treat me vegetarian. (It's not that hard! Do people really have such a lack of knowledge and/or interest in where their food comes from?)

(And can I just say thank you suzi for ruining all those lovely fantasies of mince pies I was having! Was craving some yesterday, was going to pop out and get some, but after that, I'm going to have to make them from scratch! (If anyone has a recipe for vegetarian, non hydrogenated fat mince pies that is!))

whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Dec 2005 - 12:39 AM

Didn't watch it. My friend delivers a home reared goose the day before Christmas Eve, I buy fresh veg & make my own stuffing, pudding, cake & mince pies so no processed food on the day for us. Well apart from the massive amounts of chocolates!

Sus - Pastry is easy as long as you're not vegan. 5oz Plain Flour & 5oz Self Raising Flour, 6oz unsalted butter, 2oz caster sugar & 1 egg yolk & water to mix. Makes a lovely rich short pastry. As for the mincemeat, I think I've got a vegetarian recipe somewhere, if I find it I'll let you know, but you could use most recipies & just leave out the suet. Andy & I have a real thing about not eating hydrogenated fats & processed foods as things like MSG, garlic puree give me a really bad headache the next day, so I look at making most things

Sarah

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.