Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Apple MacBooks software

20 Jan 2013 6:36PM
Any advise would be appreciated on the software that is best for MacBooks, a system I have no knowledge on at all as I've only ever used Windows. Which software is recommended ? I/E or Firefox, I have already been advised on downloading the "Aperture" editing programme for RAW images.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

davewaine e2
7 115 3 England
20 Jan 2013 6:42PM
Safari is Apple's browser, and it is good. It should already be on your Macbook. Other than that, I would recommend Chrome or Firefox. IE isn't available for the Mac as far as I know. For an office suite you can pick between Microsoft Office, Apple's equivalent, iWork, or one of the numerous versions of Open Office. Aperture is a RAW converter. You may still need photo editing software to go with it. Photoshop is available if you can afford it and Pixelmator is a worthwhile substitute if you can't. iPhoto is a fairly basic photo editor, and should be already there. iTunes should also be built in.
seahawk e2
7 616 United Kingdom
20 Jan 2013 7:52PM
Even though I'm a Mac fan and never use anything else I would suggest that Adobe Lightroom is a better program than Aperture - they are both good at processing RAW files but LR wins in the organising/cataloguing function IMO. I would agree with the other suggestions above though.
20 Jan 2013 8:15PM
Thanks very much. Very interesting and helpful advise indeed. I will be using the Mac for uploading RAW images only, and will no doubt use P/S for editing. And Firefox looks a probability. Would welcome any further advise from other Mac users.
Wyn e2
7 3 Wales
20 Jan 2013 8:28PM
Dear Butt,
I run FireFox on my i-Man & MacPro - quicker & more intuative, allowing multiple web pages open at same time
Aperture v Lightroom, is a matter of personal preference - just down load a free trial on both & do your own comparison.
At the end of the day - its hat works for you is the important bit.

Wyn
20 Jan 2013 9:01PM
Cheers Bach. Good advice.
The current version of lightroom is better than Aperture but i like using Aperture more. I have microsoft office but prefer to use Apples own Pages. It great for publishing flyers, letters, invoices etc.
i have found the more Apple software i use the more smoothly my work flow is. They all work together and documents can be transfered easily between them. Either way you will love usingan apple computer.
The only thing i would say is get a spyder express to calibrate your screen. All Apple screens are set for video and gaming. As are most other computer screens.

Good luck
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
21 Jan 2013 12:21AM
Just reading through the above posts makes me wonder if the Mac has a spellchecker? Wink
davewaine e2
7 115 3 England
21 Jan 2013 4:35AM
Well, I think you will find my spelling is correct. There again, I used my eyes and my brain. I learned to read a long time ago.
And i dont really give a S..t
21 Jan 2013 6:48AM
Thanks everyone. Very helpful and I've learned quite a lot of useful information. I couldn'nt give a monkeys about any spelling mistakes, I can work out what is meant. All I care about is the very good advise I'm recieving.
Little Jo e2
13 2.3k United Kingdom
21 Jan 2013 8:59PM
My MacBook does seem to pick up spelling mistakes. I've been a Mac convert since July 2012 and I love it. If you don't want to splash out on a full version of Photoshop, it can now be bought on a subscription basis, either a monthly subscription or a yearly subscription (which is still paid in monthly instalments). I love it and you get Photoshop Extended, automatic upgrades at no additional cost and it works a treat. I use Office 2011 for Mac, but Microsoft are now pushing the cloud-based Office product that's coming soon.

Safari is good - and a lot of the security that Windows make a big song and dance about is built in. I use a free Sophos for Mac Antivirus to safeguard from malware. The battery life on the MacBook is incredible and it just does what it says on the tin, no mess, no fuss. I always thought Apple computers were for geeks, but they're definitely very competent machines that are well designed and that run beautifully.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
21 Jan 2013 9:04PM
Good god, Little Jo!!!!!! Welcome back!
21 Jan 2013 9:25PM
Thank you very much Little Jo. I'm a devoted Norton anti-virus user so I will probably stay faithful to them. The monthly installments for Adobe Photoshop was really very interesting, something I'd never heard of before.
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
22 Jan 2013 1:38PM

Quote:very competent machines that are well designed and that run beautifully

With that kind of recommendation I can imagine those Macs sell well just by word-of-mouth and that Apple doesn't need to spend a fortune on product placement and expensive commercials or build fancy stores (where there's only one brand to compare) in order to lull people into happily spending a fortune on one of the overpriced boxes?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.