Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

April fools day, mods upset?

1 Apr 2012 6:06PM
Started a thread earlier today for a laugh under a different user name, asked for the account to be deleted as it was a one off for a laugh but asked for the thread to stay, seems someone can't allow fun on here as the whole thread has been deleted. Sad

Shame if that's the case and it was not deleted in error, used to be a good place for serious photography mixed with light hearted fun.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
1 Apr 2012 6:15PM
Sounds logical for the . thread to go along with the deleted account
1 Apr 2012 6:15PM
Why?
1 Apr 2012 6:22PM

Quote:Sounds logical for the . thread to go along with the deleted account

Just did a test post on an account I signed up for 7 years ago on here and was deleted probably 3 or 4 years ago, found a thread and it's still live even though the user account is deleted.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
1 Apr 2012 6:22PM
Interesting...

There was member (now left) who asked for his account to be deleted and all his threads went...
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
1 Apr 2012 6:24PM
How long do you suppose the thread should last ?
A thread can be requested by the member to be deleted. If the member closes the account who takes the decision to delete the thread ?

Leaving the account in place for most of the day would have had its desired effect.
1 Apr 2012 6:25PM

Quote:That's the way its set up. Smile

Must be a recent change then perhaps as my old account still has threads started from it running on here. It does seem odd as some threads could be full of very useful info (not saying the jike thread did) and if they got deleted when someone throws their toys out the pram as I did back then, the whole lot is lost even though others may find help within those threads
1 Apr 2012 6:27PM
Maybe it depends on who deletes and what boxes are ticked before the big red delete button is pressed, after all everyone is different
Overread e2
6 3.9k 18 England
1 Apr 2012 6:28PM
If their software is anything like the kind I'm used to deletion of a member can involve removal of all posts and often there are quick commands to do this for mods that are enabled whilst an account is new/has low post count (to help quick clean out obvious spammers).

Threads themselves from established members normally are left in on most forums since removing long standing data tends to break up the forum a bit and also results in older threads that become incomprehensible.

I'd suspect the choice of removing a longer standing members posts as well as account would be done on a case by case basis with the default being just removing the account and not the posts.

As for fun things - oft best to run them past mods before the day not after Wink
1 Apr 2012 6:30PM
Probably is that Overead but running it past them yesterday would have been impossible as I forgot it was the 1st until about 9am.

Funny old thing the internet aye it
Boyd e2
11 11.2k 11 Wales
1 Apr 2012 6:32PM
That's probably the reason why - they don't want to be seen to encourage people to break the terms of use of the forum , even in the name of 'a bit of fun' which can be interpreted in many ways.

Quote:11. The creation of multiple identities, unless expressly authorised by ePHOTOzine staff is not permitted. ePHOTOzine reserves the right to disable any members accounts who they suspect of such activity.
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
1 Apr 2012 6:33PM
The site has gone through several versions over the years as well as the server where some old threads may have slipped through.
Overread e2
6 3.9k 18 England
1 Apr 2012 6:38PM
Boyd - aye that is very true as well and often even more of a rule that is enforced more heavily on very large sites - last thing they want is everyone getting the idea for an evening of mad fun Tongue
pulsar69 10 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
1 Apr 2012 7:19PM

Quote:Started a thread earlier today for a laugh under a different user name, asked for the account to be deleted as it was a one off for a laugh but asked for the thread to stay, seems someone can't allow fun on here as the whole thread has been deleted. Sad

Shame if that's the case and it was not deleted in error, used to be a good place for serious photography mixed with light hearted fun.

that wouldnt be the wedding photography one would it lol Wink
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
1 Apr 2012 7:47PM

Quote:

that wouldnt be the wedding photography one would it lol Wink

'Twas indeed...I nearly offered to sell him a flash, but apparantly you don't need one for wedding photography...another lost saleSad

Malc

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.