Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

APS-C versus Full Frame

ChrisV 8 827 26 United Kingdom
17 Mar 2013 9:47PM
I suppose it is my fault this thread has gotten onto a discussion of audio formats. I'm aware that certain compression codecs are lossless (flak/ AAC 320kbps and so on). But CD/WAV itself is a lossy format and at 16bit, one that is theoretically lesser than the range of human hearing. Whether or not subjectively individuals can tell the difference or not is almost beside the question.

Digital recording has been done at 24bit for a number of years because it represents a gamut that would (more than) cover the spectrum of the human hearing range.

But the point is that when one acknowledges that a subset of available data is being collected, it just isn't logical to suggest that collecting LESS data than may be of use, can be equal to a greater amount - where the information collected is pertinent to the subject.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
17 Mar 2013 10:14PM

Quote:I suppose it is my fault this thread has gotten onto a discussion of audio formats.

Don't worry about it............ it's much more interesting than APS-C versus FF {yawn!} Grin

There is an analogy though. If you only listen to music as background (muzak) then the fine differences between lossless and lossy formats is somewhat lost. If you only ever post photos to the web, then the differences between sensor sizes is also somewhat lost.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.