Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Are Canon Lens Prices Going Up?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

yellowduke
4 Dec 2008 - 3:46 PM

I've been looking at the 24-105mm F4 L for a while now and it seems to me that prices have just been staedily rising over the last few months. Best price now is about 700 but I am sure that a while back best price was around the 580 mark. Is it just me?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Dec 2008 - 3:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Overread
Overread  63763 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
4 Dec 2008 - 3:51 PM

nope prices have risen for their lenses at least. Its probably linked to the current economic climate - there might also be the rising costs of metals as well, I know many of the Warhammer and such hobbies have seen price rises for their metal models - so it might be a factor for lenses as well - at least for the highend more metaly Ls.

User_Removed
4 Dec 2008 - 4:06 PM

The Pound is dropping against the other currencies and there is a global recession.

Of course the prices are rising!!! Wink

Last Modified By User_Removed at 4 Dec 2008 - 4:10 PM
col.campbell
4 Dec 2008 - 4:53 PM

Wonder if we can get Gordon Brown to intervene, do something about the price of lenses Wink

col.campbell
4 Dec 2008 - 7:02 PM

Yep, I'm sure we all noticed food and energy prices going up but I've just had it confirmed that the price of metals soared earlier in the year so that could well explain the prices of lenses increasing - this came in a pamphlet, in the same envelope that has my ISA statement which is now worth over a grand less now, than it would be if all those folk in America had paid their bills in the first place. :-(

Pricey
Pricey  933 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
4 Dec 2008 - 9:33 PM

I've been thinking of buying this lens for several months now, but like you been put off by the rising price's.
Went on ebay this evening and Jacobs Camera's are advertising 7 brand new Canon 24-105mm lens for 599.

My Christmas pressie is now sorted!!!!!!!
Role on Christmas.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62478 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
5 Dec 2008 - 8:27 AM

Medium term most camera equipment will rise in price.
The has dropped 35% against the yen. Whilst manufacturers can cut their margins (Honda pulling out of Formula 1 racing being this mornings example) if currencies stay as they are prices (based on this summer) are likely to go up by around 20%.
Short term Christmas sales production would have been planned back in the spring, shipped probably with a currency protection deal with a bank in the summer and, due to the recession, demand is down. The result is stock has to be shifted at lower margins (banks no longer have the balance sheet strength to give increased credit) deferring the inevitable price rises.
Digressing to petrol the present world price of oil implies a UK price of less than 1.70 a litre - except oil is traded in US $, the pound has fallen against the US $ and as a result the UK price is over 1.85.
Be prepared for something similar with camera prices in 2009.

stuwhitt
stuwhitt  101357 forum posts United Kingdom
5 Dec 2008 - 8:36 AM

Quote:
Digressing to petrol the present world price of oil implies a UK price of less than 1.70 a litre - except oil is traded in US $, the pound has fallen against the US $ and as a result the UK price is over 1.85.
Be prepared for something similar with camera prices in 2009.

You must be buying some expensive petrol Len, its 88p a litre where I live Wink

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62478 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
5 Dec 2008 - 1:03 PM

Quote: Be prepared for something similar with camera prices in 2009.You must be buying some expensive petrol Len, its 88p a litre where I live

Agreed - I should have said below 70p a litre if the pound had not fallen against the US S, and 85p as the pound has fallen.
This gets us back to maybe as much as 20% price increases on some camera equipment.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139444 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
5 Dec 2008 - 1:17 PM

Of course if the yen goes into freefall, that might even things up a bit! Wink

yellowduke
5 Dec 2008 - 3:33 PM

Quote: I've been thinking of buying this lens for several months now, but like you been put off by the rising price's.
Went on ebay this evening and Jacobs Camera's are advertising 7 brand new Canon 24-105mm lens for 599.

Role on Christmas.

I'll be looking for them on Ebay!

yellowduke
8 Dec 2008 - 3:33 PM

Quote: Quote:I've been thinking of buying this lens for several months now, but like you been put off by the rising price's.

Role on Christmas.I'll be looking for them on Ebay!

Well I looked but it seems all those Jacobs deals were snapped up. All was not lost though as I found a mint one for 560 delivered so still a very good saving over the current new price. Considering a second hand 40D now though!

steve_p
steve_p  91098 forum posts England
8 Dec 2008 - 4:39 PM

I can certainly recommend the 40D to buy. I have one which has only done 750 shots, bought it at the beginning of May.
I only want to sell to upgrade to 5D.
If you are interested please feel free to PM me.
It will probably go in the classifieds in the next few days anyway.
Steve

mikeyc71
mikeyc71  111243 forum posts
9 Jan 2010 - 1:58 PM

I have just started looking around for a walkabout lens for my 20D and was particularly interested in either the 24-70L or the 24-105L until I saw how much both of these lenses cost on warehouse express.

I should have purchased either a couple of years ago, but was waiting for prices to come down a little bit more. Unfortunately, prices seem to have jumped up about 20-30% over the last 12 months.

I ain't paying over 900 for the 24-105L, which was my original choice until the price comes down at least by 200 or so.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and had I saw the credit crunch coming I would have bought the lens just before it happened.

Are prices going to come down at all or is the era of low priced goods at an end now?

IPfreely
IPfreely  738 forum posts England
9 Jan 2010 - 4:05 PM

Mikeyc71, I have just taken delivery of a 24 105 (that came with my new camera) that I wont be using and was thinking of selling ...... I'd be happy to let you have it for 700 if you like

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.