Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Are filter-type macro lenses any good?

8 Feb 2009 2:47AM
Ok, just new to photography, I'd like to get a macro lens that won't hurt the budget that much. I heard about these dioptre-type lenses that look sorta like filters, and I'm wondering if they were any good. I'm not looking for extreme professional type quality, just something to step up my game a bit. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Unclear of the quality of the regular pairs you see for sale in package of three by the various brands available.

But I use the NIKON CLOSE UP LENSES, are very high quality but are not cheap, I used them in my illustrations captured at the RBG (Royal Botanical Gardens) and you can see the work at: link

They come in two thread sizes:
52 mm for the Nikon 3T & 4T
62 mm for the Nikon 5T & 6T

There are two strengths:
+1.5 diopters for the 3T & 5T
+2.9 diopters for the 4T & 6T

Good luck in your quest in macro photography, and photography in general.
8 Feb 2009 3:52AM
Thanks, And I should probably add that my camera's a Sony DSC-H5.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
8 Feb 2009 4:02AM
It doesn't matter the brand of camera or lens, just the filter size of the lens. Unfortunately, Nikon stopped making them for some reason. I bid on a couple last summer, but they went for a little over US $100.00. The original price was half that.

Canon makes some dioptre close-up lenses which are at least as good as Nikon's, the key being multi elements. Don't bother with the cheap ones, you'll be dissapointed. What lens/s do you want to use?
8 Feb 2009 4:17AM
Thanks, and I did see some rather cheap ones, and I'll try the canon lenses.
Overread e2
6 3.9k 18 England
8 Feb 2009 4:22AM
Cheap ones are not worth investing in - that said Raynox macro filters appear to be affordable and high quality optics - the DCR 250 macro is a good filter to try using. I hope to have one soonish, though from people I have spoken two one said optical image quality was around equal to what he could get when using extension tubes (there is image degradation with tubes but its generally minor) and another will happily use it along with a 1.4 teleconverter on a 150mm macro lens to help get around 3 times life size magnification.

Raynox were in Jessopes stores, but they seem to be no longer - amazon stock them as well as some venders on ebay
scotdiver e2
11 260 1 Scotland
8 Feb 2009 11:20AM
Marco

I'm not sure that dioptre lenses would give you that much more effect on the Sony DSC-H5.

I see the camera focuses down to 2cm in Macro mode, and looking at your portfolio, you are already getting some good macro shots with the camera as it is.

The real limitation on the camera is a minimum aperture of F3.7, so even with the small sensor size you will not be able to get much depth of field.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
8 Feb 2009 1:57PM

Quote:The real limitation on the camera is a minimum aperture of F3.7, so even with the small sensor size you will not be able to get much depth of field

F8 is the smallest aperture and, with the very short focal length of the lens, there should be ample depth of field for macro.
scotdiver e2
11 260 1 Scotland
8 Feb 2009 5:25PM
Typical - you can't believe anything you see on the internet Smile

Dpreview has the aperture range down as F2.8 - F3.7.

F8 should definitely give good DOF on this size sensor.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
8 Feb 2009 5:30PM

Quote:Dpreview has the aperture range down as F2.8 - F3.7

That's the maximum aperture at both ends of the zoom range...wide-tele.
Photoizer 6 1 United Kingdom
9 Feb 2009 3:26PM
I have a high end point and shoot camera and I use Macro filters which I find very good. I suggest you have a look on eBay, thats where I bought a set of four for approximately 12.00
Photoizer
Overread e2
6 3.9k 18 England
9 Feb 2009 6:06PM
4 for 12 on ebay I would normaly avoid for cheapness - sadly many cheap optics are very badly made. Not saying that there are non, but if your going to look at cheap make sure you get reviews and opinions of other shooters first - else its money wasted

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.