Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Are Guest Editors Just Too Limited?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ketch
    ketch e2 Member 7770 forum postsketch vcard Turks and Caicos Islands50 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Feb 2010 - 7:12 PM

The excellent new GE initiative - (I would love to have a go and will as soon as I can predict a week ahead and its still free) - really is working well ... or is it!

Maybe I missed a key point and certainly reading the GE's intro on their gallery it suggests I am barking completely up the wrong tree. But please just hear me out and then someone can put me out of my misery.

Looking through all the nominated GE awards they only relate to current uploads - not a single historic selection (there may be just one that has been selected from a previous week).

Now the thing is that everybody other than Pete only views a small percentage of uploads. GE's will see all uploads in their week but they must surely have seen other earlier images that they thought we great and brilliant. But they are not awarding anything older than a week.

The question is why not - surely if invited to be a GE you can scramble back through the galleries and award that first class image you though went unrecognised.

So is there some constraint on our excellent GE system that prevents the new editor from viewing earlier uploads I wonder - if not then why oh why are they restricting themselves to the current batch iof uploads only.

I know they have enough to look at - but I still find this a little surprising.

You can send for a gag and straightjacket now I will understand.

Cheers

Robert

PS: I have just been out spending money on glass (Tamron 10 x 24) and a tripod that is made from bits of the Titanic - rugged? its completely bulletproof and carries a chinese label - so I am fired up at the moment - a straightjacket might be useful.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 Feb 2010 - 7:12 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Overread
    Overread  63806 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Feb 2010 - 7:15 PM

I thought that was the idea of Guest editor - that they would review all the uploads from their own week and then select those they wished to award from that batch. I think if you allow them to award any historical photos its going to biase the setup - people will end up voting for past shots all the time and the newer works might not even get a look in.

Last Modified By Overread at 5 Feb 2010 - 7:16 PM
    Warriorpoet
    5 Feb 2010 - 7:21 PM

Also would they appear in the order they were selected or in their order of upload as in the case of RCs. If the latter you may not even realise they had been awarded when looking at the GEA gallery.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318456 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Feb 2010 - 7:24 PM

Quote: I thought that was the idea of Guest editor - that they would review all the uploads from their own week and then select those they wished to award from that batch.

Yes that's correct. There's enough content for one week to make it a really good selection.

joolsb
    joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Feb 2010 - 8:11 PM

Quote: Yes that's correct. There's enough content for one week to make it a really good selection.

Absolutely. It's hard enough work (in an enjoyable way) going through all the uploads every day for a week without feeling the need to wade through the thousands (millions?) of past images.

It certainly gives you a new respect for what Pete does when he awards the ECs and HCs.

Last Modified By joolsb at 5 Feb 2010 - 8:11 PM
    dougv
    dougv Site Moderator 108378 forum postsdougv vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Feb 2010 - 8:20 PM

Just short of a million I think jools.

joolsb
    5 Feb 2010 - 8:23 PM

Wow! Any special prize planned for the millionth upload?

dougv
    dougv Site Moderator 108378 forum postsdougv vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Feb 2010 - 8:27 PM

The number changes if people delete photos.
    We have probably had over a million over the years but if you count the number of gallery pages and times it by the number of photos on a page it comes out as 967800 (at the present time).

Boyd
    Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Feb 2010 - 8:37 PM

Quote: We have probably had over a million over the years

Well this one (the latest addition to the gallery) is number 1,461,383 so I suspect that you're right.

Here's the millionth.

Last Modified By Boyd at 5 Feb 2010 - 8:39 PM
    joolsb
    5 Feb 2010 - 8:42 PM

Not one of mine, then. Bu99er. And I was hoping to claim the prize retrospectively, too.... Wink

ketch
    ketch e2 Member 7770 forum postsketch vcard Turks and Caicos Islands50 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Feb 2010 - 8:46 PM

Cool - thanks so much for doing up the buckles guys - I have now been put out of my misery - but I really like image no 1,000,000 - if I am ever lucky enough to secure GE spot for a week can I nominate it?

Cheers

Robert

looboss
    looboss  73124 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Feb 2010 - 11:01 PM

what we need is an archelogical guest snoop editor Smile
    you never know what one can dig up so to to speak Wink

answersonapostcard
    answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012609 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Feb 2010 - 11:02 PM

Thats such a neat idea... Smile

Overread
    Overread  63806 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Feb 2010 - 11:06 PM

It is a good idea - though photos in the section given over to it (if it makes it that far) would have to be posted in the order of awarding rather than the order of being posted. So that older images awarded at a later date are given due display rather than being hidden away (like would happen with the current setup if an older shot were awarded)

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.