Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Are Guest Editors Just Too Limited?

ketch e2
7 770 50 Turks And Caicos Islands
5 Feb 2010 7:12PM
The excellent new GE initiative - (I would love to have a go and will as soon as I can predict a week ahead and its still free) - really is working well ... or is it!

Maybe I missed a key point and certainly reading the GE's intro on their gallery it suggests I am barking completely up the wrong tree. But please just hear me out and then someone can put me out of my misery.

Looking through all the nominated GE awards they only relate to current uploads - not a single historic selection (there may be just one that has been selected from a previous week).

Now the thing is that everybody other than Pete only views a small percentage of uploads. GE's will see all uploads in their week but they must surely have seen other earlier images that they thought we great and brilliant. But they are not awarding anything older than a week.

The question is why not - surely if invited to be a GE you can scramble back through the galleries and award that first class image you though went unrecognised.

So is there some constraint on our excellent GE system that prevents the new editor from viewing earlier uploads I wonder - if not then why oh why are they restricting themselves to the current batch iof uploads only.

I know they have enough to look at - but I still find this a little surprising.

You can send for a gag and straightjacket now I will understand.

Cheers

Robert

PS: I have just been out spending money on glass (Tamron 10 x 24) and a tripod that is made from bits of the Titanic - rugged? its completely bulletproof and carries a chinese label - so I am fired up at the moment - a straightjacket might be useful.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Overread 6 3.8k 18 England
5 Feb 2010 7:15PM
I thought that was the idea of Guest editor - that they would review all the uploads from their own week and then select those they wished to award from that batch. I think if you allow them to award any historical photos its going to biase the setup - people will end up voting for past shots all the time and the newer works might not even get a look in.
Warriorpoet 6 213 3 England
5 Feb 2010 7:21PM
Also would they appear in the order they were selected or in their order of upload as in the case of RCs. If the latter you may not even realise they had been awarded when looking at the GEA gallery.
Pete e2
13 18.5k 96 England
5 Feb 2010 7:24PM

Quote:I thought that was the idea of Guest editor - that they would review all the uploads from their own week and then select those they wished to award from that batch.

Yes that's correct. There's enough content for one week to make it a really good selection.
joolsb 10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
5 Feb 2010 8:11PM

Quote:Yes that's correct. There's enough content for one week to make it a really good selection.

Absolutely. It's hard enough work (in an enjoyable way) going through all the uploads every day for a week without feeling the need to wade through the thousands (millions?) of past images.

It certainly gives you a new respect for what Pete does when he awards the ECs and HCs.
dougv e2
10 8.4k 3 England
5 Feb 2010 8:20PM
Just short of a million I think jools.
5 Feb 2010 8:23PM
Wow! Any special prize planned for the millionth upload?
dougv e2
10 8.4k 3 England
5 Feb 2010 8:27PM
The number changes if people delete photos.
We have probably had over a million over the years but if you count the number of gallery pages and times it by the number of photos on a page it comes out as 967800 (at the present time).
Boyd 11 11.2k 11 Wales
5 Feb 2010 8:37PM

Quote:We have probably had over a million over the years
Well this one (the latest addition to the gallery) is number 1,461,383 so I suspect that you're right.

Here's the millionth .
5 Feb 2010 8:42PM
Not one of mine, then. Bu99er. And I was hoping to claim the prize retrospectively, too.... Wink
ketch e2
7 770 50 Turks And Caicos Islands
5 Feb 2010 8:46PM
Cool - thanks so much for doing up the buckles guys - I have now been put out of my misery - but I really like image no 1,000,000 - if I am ever lucky enough to secure GE spot for a week can I nominate it?

Cheers

Robert
looboss 7 3.1k 7 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2010 11:01PM
what we need is an archelogical guest snoop editor Smile
you never know what one can dig up so to to speak Wink
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.6k 15 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2010 11:02PM
Thats such a neat idea... Smile
Overread 6 3.8k 18 England
5 Feb 2010 11:06PM
It is a good idea - though photos in the section given over to it (if it makes it that far) would have to be posted in the order of awarding rather than the order of being posted. So that older images awarded at a later date are given due display rather than being hidden away (like would happen with the current setup if an older shot were awarded)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.