Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Are most of us born to act like sheep or are we being brainwashed?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102290 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2013 - 12:42 PM

No doubt a fair number of us are born to act like sheep but would you say that the majority are like that?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Apr 2013 - 12:42 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

samueldilworth
14 Apr 2013 - 12:48 PM

Baa.

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41108 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2013 - 12:53 PM

Have you ever got on a plane at the airport?, everyone are sheep they all cram together at the boarding gate, never understood why when on your ticket you have a seat number anyway.
I tend to sit and chillax until all have gone through then i make a move, so yes a majority of people tend to be sheep in that respect.

Last Modified By ianrobinson at 14 Apr 2013 - 12:54 PM
robthecamman
14 Apr 2013 - 12:54 PM

thought it was called the community Smile

paulcookphotography

Quote: No doubt a fair number of us are born to act like sheep but would you say that the majority are like that?

Only if everyone else does Wink

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8995 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2013 - 1:00 PM

Only apple nerds seem to be brain washed ....now im of to hide.

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 14 Apr 2013 - 1:04 PM
petebfrance
14 Apr 2013 - 1:10 PM

My only objection to comments like these is that such behaviour is often referred to as the 'herd instinct' and, of course, as everybody knows sheep get together in 'flocks' (not gangs, come to think of it - gangs of marauding sheep, makes one shudder Wink)

I suspect that this adds nothing to the debate Sad

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102290 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2013 - 1:53 PM

Quote: Baa.

Lol. Would you be the black one? Wink

Quote: Only apple nerds seem to be brain washed ....now im of to hide.

Well at least I don't think even the CIA or FBI will chase you for saying that. Wink
Just as long as we don't get into the Nikon sheeple? versus Canon sheeple debate Smile

Anyway, I ask this because I've been reading a book by a certain Edward Bernays. He was one of the chief pioneers of 'Public Relations' (i.e. propaganda) in the US - yes all the bad ideas we import seem to come from the US! Sad
This guy - yes, even I'm half American now - apparently gave huge impetus to the power of advertising by the big corporations. Much worse was the fact that his talents were also used to promote US administration lies and distortions.
Bernays began his "work" in the 1920's and facilitated the Free Market farce by promoters like Milton Friedman and his "Chicago Boys".
So when the Neo-Con loonies, and Thatcher and Reagan embraced these ideas it was merely a continuation of a ghastly, cancerous experiment which started many decades ago...

Last Modified By gcarth at 14 Apr 2013 - 1:55 PM
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014836 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2013 - 1:57 PM

Quote: No doubt a fair number of us are born to act like sheep but would you say that the majority are like that?

I've been known to huddle next a wall in a blizzard

Hallie
Hallie  1166 forum posts United Kingdom
14 Apr 2013 - 2:04 PM

There's a lot of effort that goes into making sheeple, don't knock it Tongue

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8995 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2013 - 2:18 PM

If you believe the press and media you may well be brain washed.
If you believe the bible there is a big chance you where brain washed and turned into a sheep while only a child.

My advise make a hat from tin foil, stick it on your head and hide under the stairs. Stop watching/reading believing fiction.

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 14 Apr 2013 - 2:21 PM
brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110305 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2013 - 2:26 PM

I find that my thinking is often Woolie and I have been known to fell sheepish

On a more serious note, there is a mass of evidence garnered over decades that shows "Group Think" just one bit of info here and peer moderated behaviour another taken at random is common to all human beings (with maybe the exception of Sociopaths)

Does it mean we are "born to act like sheep" - no, it just means we are human beings and can be influenced to think in particular ways. In the old days, it was via Taboos, Tribal Culture, then Religion came into the piece, now its political spin-meisters and advertising, its all playing on the same need we (mostly) have to belong to a "group"

Last Modified By brian1208 at 14 Apr 2013 - 2:28 PM
samueldilworth
14 Apr 2013 - 2:34 PM

Thereís a brilliant Adam Curtis documentary called The Century of the Self which describes the shocking role Edward Bernays played in the development of modern advertising and public relations. I say shocking because itís almost impossible to imagine what the world would have been like without him and Freud Ė†and yet even Freudís work isnít all that well known (other than his far-out and sexist psychosexual stuff). And no-oneís even heard of Bernays.

You should try to find it on DVD, gcarth. It has the dramatic urgency that you seem to require, but itís also well laid out, riveting, and immensely convincing.

Last Modified By samueldilworth at 14 Apr 2013 - 2:35 PM
gcarth
14 Apr 2013 - 2:56 PM

I've been known to huddle next a wall in a blizzard

...but not with a sheep Wink

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014836 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2013 - 3:03 PM

nah - I may live in Yorkshire, but I'm not from there.... so sheep run off Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.