Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Are proper cameras doomed?

Big Bri 13 15.7k United Kingdom
22 Apr 2012 12:02AM

Quote:But we are in a tiny minority

When I first started work in retail photo, I was told the vast majority of people with camera shot 3 rolls a year - 1 at Christmas, one on their summer hols, and 1 for the rest of the year.
So 1% of the population probably shot 99% of the photos.

Now everyone has a camera on their phone, there are millions (probably billions) more photos taken, but they are taken by the 99%....

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Graysta 9 1.1k England
22 Apr 2012 5:54AM
When I last went to upgrade my phone the girl in the shop pointed out some of the features of one phone telling me that it was the best camera you could get. I replied that my Nikon D3 and D700 together cost about four and a half grand but as yet i had been unable to get a Vodafone signal on them anywhere,I thought that was a good reply, But being a girl of the phone age she simply asked me if i maybe lived in a poor reception area.I walked out and bought 2 more nokia 6310i's off fleabay. letting the camera be a camera and a phone a phone.
22 Apr 2012 8:55AM
Ah, the Nokia 6310i. There's a proper phone. Smile
steve_p 9 1.1k England
22 Apr 2012 9:51AM
Nokia 6310I still got mine after 12 yrs. works better than my iPhone but I need that to get emails from work during the day. It's got a very poor camera.
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
22 Apr 2012 9:52AM

Quote:Now everyone has a camera on their phone, there are millions (probably billions) more photos taken, but they are taken by the 99%....

That's about it really. Most people have only ever wanted a record of a moment in time and the people they care about.
Now with a camera phone they can achieve that and share it instantly - which has to be much better than carrying an extra camera which only does one thing.
22 Apr 2012 10:02AM
...but there always have been, and hopefully always will be, people who want to take photos for more than just a record shot.
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
22 Apr 2012 10:23AM
Well there's me and you Bri Wink
22 Apr 2012 10:40AM
hehe Smile
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
22 Apr 2012 7:24PM
As my primary purpose for photography is to produce fine art quality prints, the bigger the better, I have very little interest in or use for the "Wonderful" camera on my phone.

Certainly "clouding to inter-web via foogle" or any other such odd activity has no interest for me when out and about

(but - its well known Im a dinosaur so what do I know, except that my cameras aren't doomed to extinction, just yet! Grin )
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
22 Apr 2012 8:01PM

Quote:do we - in reality - increasingly leave them at home and take photos on our mobiles?

No.

Quote:Are proper cameras doomed?

No.

Previously, most people only ever had a really basic point and shoot camera,film or digital, and never had anything decent. It doesn't make much difference if their camera is now in their phone. My view would be, they never had a "proper" camera anyway, and wouldn't know what to do with it.

For people who do have a decent camera, and some idea how to use it, I don't think it makes much difference. We might sometimes use the phone as being the most ready to hand, or someone might try an arty project of only using the phone camera. But generally speaking, it neither satisfies the photographer, nor does the job required of it, so it's still a bit irrelevant whether the casual cheapo we use for some things is fitted with a phone or not. We're still going to use our proper camera(s) for everything else.

(Same thing applies to calculators. It's handy having one in the phone, but I'd rather use a separate, possibly a large size one, than fiddle with a phone)

Incidentally I now have 3 mobile phones.
One stays in a drawer.
One is a basic one that makes an occasional phone call, and as a digital clock.
One is used mainly as a gps locator and as a mobile wifi hub, also as a clock, and might be used to check email as well. But not for phone calls or photographs.
I think it's valid to consider that phones now aren't really phones, in fact one might ask as well, are proper phones doomed ?
I think my domestic phone will survive, albeit wireless, but wedged in between Skype and the mobile, it is slightly endangered.
6 May 2012 6:50PM
I read a great story today about the CEO of a company in the US, who ran into a problem using his phone as a camera.

They obviously have a policy like ours - get your work email on your own device (iPhone, Android, whatever) and accept the company security policy.
This policy essentially insists on having a PIN code, and if the wrong PIN is entered 8 times (or in the case of this CEO, 6 times) it wipes the device.

The poor CEO in question left his phone lying around, and his 4 year old picked it up, started pressing the screen and caused the device to be wiped, losing all the photos he had taken during the holiday.

Now I know you can format a card in a camera, but it's unlikely it would happen by accident Smile
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
7 May 2012 12:19AM

Quote:caused the device to be wiped, losing all the photos he had taken during the holiday.

More fool him to take his holiday snaps on his work phone! Wink
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
7 May 2012 12:20AM
If you read it again CB you will see it was his phone.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
7 May 2012 12:23AM

Quote:If you read it again CB you will see it was his phone.

I'll bet it was paid for by his company! No CEO would need to buy his own phone. Wink
7 May 2012 9:11AM
The point is, this topic is about the demise of cameras, as everyone carries a phone. But why would you carry two phones?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.