Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Are proper cameras doomed?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

keith selmes
25 Aug 2012 - 10:54 AM

Personally, I do have an actual little old mobile phone which I take with me when I think it might be useful. Assuming I remembered to charge the battery and top up the money.

Unfortunately, about half the time, the avid phone users who gave me their number have turned theirs off exactly when I need to talk to them.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Aug 2012 - 10:54 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
25 Aug 2012 - 11:41 AM

Quote: Do you carry a camera around with you at all times then?

I don't always carry my DSLRs but I do always have a camera with me, my Ricoh Caplio R8. But tonight whilst out enjoying a meal,the camera will be in my car outside. I don't take a camera to bed with me either so to ask ALL the time is a bit off. Let us say I have one to hand always available.

Last Modified By Focus_Man at 25 Aug 2012 - 11:42 AM
Just Jas
Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
25 Aug 2012 - 11:50 AM

Quote: I rarely use my mobile phone for phone calls.

CB - Why have the thing then?

Why not just carry a compact? Smile

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
25 Aug 2012 - 11:52 AM

Quote: I don't always carry my DSLRs but I do always have a camera with me, my Ricoh Caplio R8. But tonight whilst out enjoying a meal,the camera will be in my car outside. I don't take a camera to bed with me either so to ask ALL the time is a bit off. Let us say I have one to hand always available.

Well, that's pretty much the same as me, Frank. Smile I will always have a camera with me - usually my Canon S100........ even when at a restaurant - and it's within reach when I'm in bed! Grin

But, as camera phones become more sophisticated, I can foresee a time when carrying a compact around will become pointless.

Quote: CB - Why have the thing then?

Why not just carry a compact?

Web, emails, text messages. As I have said above I do carry a compact, but this could become redundant.

Last Modified By Carabosse at 25 Aug 2012 - 11:54 AM
lemmy
lemmy  71938 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Aug 2012 - 2:03 PM

When I go out I use my mobile phone as a compass and carry another mobile phone for making calls, a camera for taking pictures, a gps for navigation, an mp3 player for music and a small fm radio for the news and a third mobile phone for email access.

I would never go out without any of them. Mind you, what with all that clutter and my Swiss army knife I don't get to go out much these days.Sad

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
25 Aug 2012 - 2:14 PM

Rotfl @ David! Grin

lemmy
25 Aug 2012 - 2:17 PM

Quote: Rotfl @ David!

Grin

keith selmes
25 Aug 2012 - 7:48 PM

lemmy needs one of these, including the dog of course
http://www.caninespirit.co.uk/categories/canine-backpacks?gclid=CKSn-7m4g7ICFcYK...

Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2012 - 2:55 PM

10 Million EF Lenses sold in the last 9 months - That's a fair bit of potential competition out there. I'm sure its similar for Nikkor, Pentax, Sony etc.

Having picked up the above comment from another topic, It wouldn't seem that the day has arrived as yet!

lemmy
26 Aug 2012 - 3:00 PM

Quote: 10 Million EF Lenses sold in the last 9 months

I thought I knew all the acronyms - what are EF lenses?

phil1963
phil1963 e2 Member 2265 forum postsphil1963 vcard United Kingdom
26 Aug 2012 - 3:03 PM

Electro-focus lenses produced by CanonSmile

Last Modified By phil1963 at 26 Aug 2012 - 3:04 PM
mikehit
mikehit  56681 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2012 - 9:31 AM

So thats what EF stands for.....

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023173 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2012 - 9:58 AM

Quote: and it's within reach when I'm in bed!

Insert punchline here.......................

or post link to website.
Wink

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
11 Sep 2012 - 9:47 PM

I have decent compact with at all times and an ordinary no bells and whistles mobile phone - fruit that grows on bushes by the wayside is for making jam with - not for making phone calls or pictures!
GrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrin

EliseLeveque
17 Sep 2012 - 4:08 PM

I am a bit guilty of not using a proper camera quite often. But then again I am not a "full pro", I am an amateur with strong interest in photography.

The other day I was lurking around Jessops looking at all these great cameras and thinking, "I wish I had this, I wish I had that." I almost got myself a Nikon, but then I thought, "But my mobile camera is good enough for me..."

I guess that makes the difference between a consumer like me and a pro photographer.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.