Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Are proper cameras doomed?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Diamondback

I own an HTC One V which has a 5mp camera on it and is ok for grab shots etc plus its always in my pocket My Girlfriend has the Sony Xperia L which has a 8mp camera and takes great shots but are nowhere near as good as my donkeys years old Samsung Digimax A7 7mp camera which takes excellent shots in my opinion but eats batteries lol.
Camera phones are fine but I would always go for a dedicated camera every time.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Nov 2013 - 3:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2013 - 11:19 AM

The Nokia Lumia 1020 with its 41-megapixel sensor (larger than that in most mobile phones) and optical image stabilisation certainly looks interesting.

The main benefit of such a high resolution is what one might call pseudo-optical zoom, i.e. the ability to zoom losslessly albeit at a lower resolution.

There's a video about it. Set the YouTube resolution to 1080p and full screen. It is surprisingly good.

zoqy71
zoqy71  United Kingdom
7 Nov 2013 - 9:34 AM

Since the advent of camera phones and digital camera's I've seen a great many more people with DSLR's camera's then I ever did in the days of film. My guess is they discover the pleasure of photography with their phone and then upgrade to a DSLR. Something which would have have happened in the days of film, because of the high costs involved in taking photos.

parallax
parallax e2 Member 5111 forum postsparallax vcard United Kingdom
7 Nov 2013 - 12:01 PM

The new Sony A7 and A7R look like a move in the right direction in terms of size and weight combined with exceptional quality.

I for one find lugging my 5DII and say a 24-70L very tiring after a while.

So I'm selling up and switching to the A7R Sony for a lighter, more compact setup.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
7 Nov 2013 - 12:20 PM

Many years ago Nikon had a slogan which was something along the lines of: "The history of the world is captured through Nikon lenses".

Maybe we'll be saying It is captured through the lenses of smartphones, these days! Grin

scruffytrafford

I don't have an ipad, I don't even have a "smart Phone", but I have a camera...... and I like to understand the mechanics of photography, if "smart phones" and ipads continue to be the "in" things will the fundamental understandings of photography be forgotten, why bother to do photography courses and go to Uni or college if anyone can take a picture with an ipad. Does it not undermine photography in it's self?

Will the history of photography be forgotten or rewritten, will the kids of tomorrow actually know what a proper camera is? Can you imagine them finding one in Granddad loft and saying where is the phone part to talk into, To understand tomorrow you have to know the past..... I am not a Luddite, but if a thing is worth doing well it is worth doing properly and to me that is having a grasp of understanding in what you are doing,

Besides I much rather carry a camera than an ipad, they don't even come with a neck strap or fit in your pocket LOLTongue
and I hate seeing all these black or grey tablets being held up in the air blocking the view for all those behind, everything has it place in this world, and ipads and smart phones are universal communication devices not a proper camera.IMO Rant over Smile

KevinEllison
KevinEllison e2 Member 72504 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
9 Jan 2014 - 9:52 PM

Quote: I don't have an ipad, I don't even have a "smart Phone", but I have a camera

Excellent.. me neither..
Agree with your other sentiments too..

Yes, I believe some prominent photographers have taken shots with phones and tablets, (publicity stunt..?) give 'em their due though, it probably proves it's the eye behind that counts, but I refuse to believe it's their weapon of everyday choice... Smile

Carabosse
10 Jan 2014 - 12:52 PM

Quote: I don't have an ipad, I don't even have a "smart Phone", but I have a camera

For many, though, it is the other way round - a smartphone, a tablet.... but no camera other than that incorporated in the aforesaid phone and tablet.

I sometimes carry a smartphone, a tablet and two cameras (or a camera and a camcorder). And I come home having not taken a single shot! clown-dark.jpg

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022898 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2014 - 2:21 PM

Video killed the radio star.

northernbaygirl

I think cameras on phones can be great. For a while the only camera I had was the 8mp offering on the HTC Sensation XE I had, I got some great shots with it and am glad I was able to get them. But in my mind a dedicated camera is a MUST have for anyone who is even half-way serious about photography.

Graham_Rainham
19 Jan 2014 - 10:53 AM

Now that the Nokia Lumia 1020 can output its files in DNG format, there is even more potential for these things to provide end results that are every bit as good as many compact cameras.

Many will see having two devices as an inconvenience, given this comparable image quality.

Evertonian
19 Jan 2014 - 10:59 AM

I just don't see how a cameraphone, using a small meniscus for a lens can compete with a 16 element optically ground lens fitted to a quality engineered body.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2014 - 12:04 PM

To go by some of the comments I get from dossers who visit my exhibitions and craft stalls you and I are out of touch with the real world Evertonian.

I know that because they all tell me "My mate can do better than you on his mobile", so it must be true Tongue

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92978 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2014 - 12:05 PM

Quote: I just don't see how a cameraphone, using a small meniscus for a lens can compete with a 16 element optically ground lens fitted to a quality engineered body.

Give it time

mikehit
mikehit  56298 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2014 - 1:00 PM

Quote: I just don't see how a cameraphone, using a small meniscus for a lens can compete with a 16 element optically ground lens fitted to a quality engineered body.

You are making the assumption that ultimate quality and low DOF are the only things that matter. For a screen saver, a thumbnail or a 6x4 print the phone is probably just as good. Or why take a hulking 5DIII when the first thing you do a is knock the crap our of the image by adding an effect (instagram, lomo or pinhole). How quickly do you want to get it to Facebook? etc etc etc.

And if you are that obsessed with image quality why are you using a DSLR when you should be using a medium format?

Quote: Give it time

I saw some bloody good photos of the london olympics - taken with an iphone held up to a binocular eyepiece. At no point did I think 'they should have used a better camera'

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.