Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Are proper cameras doomed?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mikehit
mikehit  46188 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2014 - 1:34 PM

Quote: I see it is also Semantics Day. Tongue Actually you are kinda making my point for me. Multimedia devices are, seemingly, the way forward.

I think Keith's point is important when you are making claims about changes in the market place.
Twenty years ago you either had a camera or you didn't. Now, if you buy a phone the camera comes with it and those people can be automatically classed as 'camera owners' whether or not they use it as such. And it distorts the analysis. Suppose one person has a cameraphone and no camera, one has MFT and one has DSLR. The DSLRS are 30% of the 'camera owning public' - 20 years ago the modern-day cameraphone owner would not have spent money on a camera and DSLRs would have been 50% of the market.
So can you really lump together the 'coincidental' camera owner (where it is in a phone) with those people who make a positive decision to by a dedicated camera?

As usual: lies, damned lies etc

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Feb 2014 - 1:34 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2014 - 4:44 PM

I maintain the nature/purpose of photography has changed. The devices used to capture images have been instrumental in that but there are other factors, eg social media... the likes of Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat et al.

Either you roll with it, or you don't. Wink

There will always be a market for the vinyl record.... albeit a very small, niche one. There will always be a market for cameras which only take photos.... and ditto.

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93447 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2014 - 5:13 PM

I'm not sure the advertising industry would agree with you; stills photography is at the heart of everything they do.

Last Modified By discreetphoton at 14 Feb 2014 - 5:17 PM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2014 - 5:16 PM

From AP

ap-reuters.jpg

keithh
keithh  1022804 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2014 - 5:37 PM

The news report was actually a very well quoted piece by Yu Yoshida from Credit Suisse. It was one mans view.

Carabosse
15 Feb 2014 - 12:03 PM

Anyway I'll bet nobody else on here has a remote control for their mobile phone! Tongue

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225746 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
22 Feb 2014 - 4:23 PM

Or the remotest control of it? Smile

keith selmes
22 Feb 2014 - 5:06 PM

have to admit, there are times when a "proper" camera just won't do Smile
http://img3.catalog.photos.msn.com/Image.aspx?uuid=4106c008-200a-4d14-be3e-d1ab7...

Last Modified By keith selmes at 22 Feb 2014 - 5:07 PM
Carabosse
22 Feb 2014 - 5:24 PM

Quote: Have to admit, there are times when a "proper" camera just won't do Smile
http://img3.catalog.photos.msn.com/Image.aspx?uuid=4106c008-200a-4d14-be3e-d1ab7ae9d968&w=628&h=498&so=2

That is hilarious! Grin

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93447 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
22 Feb 2014 - 11:11 PM

I don't see what's hilarious about it.
Good graphic impact though, with a good color palette.

Carabosse
23 Feb 2014 - 1:38 AM

Quote: I don't see what's hilarious about it.
Good graphic impact though, with a good color palette.

It looks like someone taking a 'selfie' whilst wearing a full burka identical to those around her! Grin

I agree it's a striking photo though. Smile

Evertonian
23 Feb 2014 - 10:39 AM

Quote:
That is hilarious! Grin

I have to agree with you but the PC brigade won't and would have all the humour removed from the population.

discreetphoton
23 Feb 2014 - 10:45 AM

Fair enough, I didn't read it that way, just looked to me like someone taking a photo.

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225746 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
8 Mar 2014 - 12:25 PM

I would say that the phone camera is - to most - the modern day equivalent of the old box camera. The limited capability of the box type camera produced variable results for various reasons - which led to the excited oft quoted expression "Did it (they) come out OK?" OK being a recognisable picture.

The auto exposure (and later the auto focussing) compact film cameras produced results which pleased a later generation of similar users.

Still more so the digital compact successors.

They all produced results which were acceptable to the users thereof.

The level of acceptability has obviously risen over the years.

The phone camera meets the requirements of many, producing - to them - acceptable results. And it is immediately accessible as has been said earlier in this thread.

However, I doubt if the instant results replaces the awaited excitement of "seeing if they come out" of days gone by, but that is another discussion! Smile

Carabosse
8 Mar 2014 - 7:55 PM

I'm inclined to agree, Jas. The key thing is, as you indicate, that the results are 'good enough'.

I.e. good enough for the purposes for which most imaging devices are used, viz. small images on internet websites - including EPZ of course.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.