Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Are proper cameras doomed?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2012 - 12:15 PM

Plenty of people carry two phones - I even know of one Junior EPZer who does so! Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 May 2012 - 12:15 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315548 forum posts England
7 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

Why? Just to take photos? Carry a phone and a camera!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2012 - 12:23 PM

Er no - people carry two phones because the number of one of them is given to certain people, and the number of the other to other people! Grin

It's nothing to do with taking pictures. Actually the young EPZer I mentioned would be more likely to carry around a DSLR fitted with a 300mm lens....... as well as his two phones.

keith selmes
7 May 2012 - 2:46 PM

I have two phones nowadays.
One for phone calls and one for internet.
One has a camera but I've never used it.

Carabosse
7 May 2012 - 3:29 PM

I have to say if I ever buy a phone like the Nokia 808 with its lossless digital zoom, it may be goodbye to my compact. But not to my system camera.

Big Bri
7 May 2012 - 8:26 PM

Well, like I said earlier, there will always be serious photographers who need a camera rather than a phone.

Tongue

Carabosse
7 May 2012 - 8:31 PM

They used to say that of plate cameras, medium format etc etc. Tongue

keith selmes
7 May 2012 - 9:52 PM

Quote: They used to say that of plate cameras, medium format etc etc.

and it's still true Smile

Big Bri
7 May 2012 - 9:54 PM

Quote: They used to say that of plate cameras, medium format etc etc. Tongue

*yawn*

Carabosse
7 May 2012 - 9:56 PM

Yawning doesn't negate truth! Grin

Big Bri
7 May 2012 - 10:01 PM

Yaaaaaaaaaaaawn

Big Bri
7 May 2012 - 10:01 PM

You were saying the same thing five years ago.

Carabosse
7 May 2012 - 11:02 PM

Quote: You were saying the same thing five years ago.

I can't remember. Sad

clown-light.jpg

Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
14 Jul 2012 - 9:56 AM

There will always be photographers - as apart from phonographers. I have said it before, the pixels don't matter a jot when taken through the sort of lenses to be found in phones. Pixels together with a good multi-element lens as can be found in DSLRs, that is lenses designed for a specific focal length followed closely by ones designed for zoom lenses is where the quality is to be found.

That is not to be snobbish, it is just a fact, but I guess people will always be using phones to take pictures, but to answer your question - No! cameras are not doomed IMHO.

Carabosse
14 Jul 2012 - 10:06 AM

Quote: the pixels don't matter a jot

To the general non-enthusiast public (who buy vastly more imaging devices than enthusiasts), pixels are the ONLY thing that matter. The fault lies entirely with camera manufacturers who have pushed pixels as equating to quality. Devices such as the 41Mp Nokia 808 phone will only serve to embed that thinking.

There is no doubt, whatsoever, that camera phones have replaced dedicated cameras for many people - either partially or wholly. The ease with which photos can be shared, e.g. via Facebook, comes into it. Even Pete uses an iPhone for some of his photography....... and who could have predicted that? Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.