Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Are proper cameras doomed?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

JohnParminter
14 Jul 2012 - 12:32 PM

Quote: So whilst we may continue to buy cameras, do we - in reality - increasingly leave them at home and take photos on our mobiles?

No. My mobile phone is not capable of taking photographs. Annoyingly though, my Nikon DSLR doesn't have a speech communication device built into it, that would be useful so I could ring the wife to get the kettle on whilst I am out taking photos and I've invariably forgotten the mobile at home.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Jul 2012 - 12:32 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

DolphinDesign
15 Jul 2012 - 2:10 PM

I think so yes, for casual photographers within the next year or so digital cameras will be almost redundant

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jul 2012 - 4:07 PM

I do feel I may have bought my last compact digicam.

YoBellzaa
YoBellzaa ePHOTOzine Staff 7224 forum postsYoBellzaa vcard England
18 Jul 2012 - 6:55 PM

I review most of the compacts for ePHOTOzine, I have an iPhone and a DSLR. I still think the compact camera has a place, but do find it strange that more don't have Wi-Fi built in so you can instantly share pictures, which the younger generation do like to do. Also, compact cameras are being packed with more and more optical zoom, there are some with 20x zoom (approx), which are easy enough to carry in your pocket, which is way off where phones are at, for now!

The beauty of the iPhone is that it's always with me and is reliable enough for snap shots, I'm usually taking pictures of my dog doing daft stuff. They can then go straight on Facebook. I also like that they go straight onto my iPad, which has some impressive editing apps, particularly consider how little they cost. When I go on my holidays, I will always use my DSLR, but it does tend to hide in its bag for far too long.

I definately think the compact camera has an uncertain future, but they might just evolve and keep going.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jul 2012 - 7:22 PM

There was an article in a recent AP about how ALL cameras will need to be wifi enabled for survival.

YoBellzaa
YoBellzaa ePHOTOzine Staff 7224 forum postsYoBellzaa vcard England
18 Jul 2012 - 7:25 PM

Yeah I think it's great, not that sure any of the cameras have quite cracked it yet, but Samsung certainly seem keen on it, some of the others have dabbled.

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jul 2012 - 7:51 PM

Personally I dont beleive either market is dying or will die , suffice to say camera shops are closing due to people purchasing online but there is still a big market for DLRs ( I see hundreds at weddings in the hands of keen amateurs ) , there is certainly still a massive market for compacts ( i see thousands of good quality compacts at weddings ) and if anything people are beginning to realise that the mobile phone camera no matter how many pixels is absolutely useless in anything but bright situations ( just look at some facebook pics at all the rubbish blurry shots )

I reckon its the fly-by-night mobile phone industry that will lose out in the camera market in the end as quality always wins...

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014059 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jul 2012 - 8:51 AM

Quote: do find it strange that more don't have Wi-Fi built in so you can instantly share pictures,

Yup, they really need to get that sorted.
If I take a shot with my phone then by the time I have got into my house and taken my jacket off it has been uploaded to dropbox and it is available on all my computers/devices and on the web. If I take shots with my compact I have to take the card out & download them..it's all a bit archaic.

Newdevonian
27 Jul 2012 - 8:54 AM

My phone is used mainly for web access. It does not replace my computer!

SteveCharles
27 Jul 2012 - 1:58 PM

This topic instantly made me think of a quote I saw just the other day, by Ben Lowy, which resonated with me at the time and is the perfect response for this:

"There are still purists who hold onto that idea that the iPhone is not still a real camera, or doesnít make a real image, and quite frankly, I think those arguments are bullshit. Itís the same argument that people made when color film was invented, or that painters made when photography was invented. People donít like change, and they donít like to adapt. Thereís nothing real about black and white film photography that is any more or less real than me taking a picture on my iPhone."

I've been using the iphone more and more for street photography, it allows me to take photographs I would otherwise feel too self conscious to with a DSLR. In fact, I use a DSLR less and less these days.

photo1.jpgvscocam121.jpg

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318434 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jul 2012 - 2:37 PM

Quote: I seem to recall even EPZ's commander-in-chief has stated he uses his smartphone, quite a bit, to take photos. Shock, horror!

I assume that's me... and yes I do use the phone and am not afraid to admit it. The iPhone 4 brought a great change to phone camera quality in my mind. I've had some great photos out of mine that can be blown up to A3 size no problem. Many of my last year Photo365 blog project were taken with the iPhone. And I've taken pictures I would have missed as its with me all the time, whereas a bigger camera might not be.

Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jul 2012 - 3:08 PM

Quote:
I've been using the iphone more and more for street photography, it allows me to take photographs I would otherwise feel too self conscious to with a DSLR. In fact, I use a DSLR less and less these days.

I notice your portfolio is empty. What about uploading some of your pics to the Critique gallery. I would love to see some.

Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jul 2012 - 3:09 PM

Quote: if anything people are beginning to realise that the mobile phone camera no matter how many pixels is absolutely useless in anything but bright situations ( just look at some facebook pics at all the rubbish blurry shots )

I totally agree.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014059 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jul 2012 - 3:16 PM

Not convinced about that - this was taken on my phone inside a fairly dim garage and it's sharp enough for me and in darker conditions I just switch the flash on.

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 27 Jul 2012 - 3:20 PM
SteveCharles
27 Jul 2012 - 3:41 PM

Quote: I've been using the iphone more and more for street photography, it allows me to take photographs I would otherwise feel too self conscious to with a DSLR. In fact, I use a DSLR less and less these days.

I notice your portfolio is empty. What about uploading some of your pics to the Critique gallery. I would love to see some.

I'm not sure what the relevance is, but I've just come back from an absence from EPZ. I may start uploading images again. There is a link to my website on my portfolio page. I have photos elsewhere, but I believe linking to them is against the T&C's. I'm not that interested in the critique gallery, thanks.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.