Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Are proper cameras doomed?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139445 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jul 2012 - 3:48 PM

Quote: this was taken on my phone inside a fairly dim garage and it's sharp enough for me and in darker conditions I just switch the flash on.

Nice pic.... shows what phones can do these days. Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Jul 2012 - 3:48 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2012 - 10:47 AM

So the discussions have moved on from "Film v Digital" to "DSLR v Cameraphone".

Ah well, there's progress for you, CB! Tongue

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139445 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2012 - 11:26 AM

Indeed Jas, isn't progress a wonderful thing? (But a bit worrying for some!) Tongue Grin

keith selmes
28 Jul 2012 - 12:36 PM

Do people still use camera phones ? don't we all have tablets with nice big 10" screens now ?

Carabosse
28 Jul 2012 - 12:38 PM

Quote: don't we all have tablets with nice big 10" screens now ?

Tricky to put those in the shirt pocket. Wink

Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2012 - 12:57 PM

Over many many years SLRs have moved to DSLRs whilst phones keep changing from tablets to Ipods or whatever. The style is going to be around for many years to come given the space required to make a quality lens with 15 elements etc. they just will not fit into a pocketable phone and the lenses are vastly different in quality produced when set against one fitted to a phone.

SLRs have stood the test of time, phones which can take equivalent quality pictures are yet to be produced and I doubt if they will be in our lifetimes.

Carabosse
28 Jul 2012 - 1:17 PM

Quote: phones keep changing from tablets to Ipods or whatever

No they don't! Grin

Phones, tablets and iPods are all distinct items. It's just that tablets are starting to take over from conventional laptops/netbooks and many people do not bother with storing music on an MP3 player, preferring to keep it on their phone.......... which they also use to take photos and browse the web when out and about.

Last Modified By Carabosse at 28 Jul 2012 - 1:21 PM
keith selmes
28 Jul 2012 - 1:31 PM

There is a grey area now though where the larger phones and smaller tablets are not much different.
If your phone is mainly used as phone, and rarely for internet or pictures, a small one is fine.
Otherwise many of us find our fingers are too big and eyes to fuzzy for easy use, and a larger device that will fit a jacket pocket or a handbag will be more useful. They may look a bit strange used as a phone but with a headset of some kind, you don't have to use it the old fashioned way.

I'm undecided myself. I still normally use the small simple no camera phone as a phone. I might eventually shell out for a bigger and better smartphone, and live with the size, as it could be much more useful than either a tablet or a small (smart or not) phone.

Carabosse
28 Jul 2012 - 1:37 PM

I don't have a tablet as I find my phone is OK for web use when I'm either not at home or can't be bothered to switch on the computer.

Can't see myself lugging around a phone and a tablet. But I can see tablets can be excellent for business use and, indeed, I have used my modest Kindle - which is I suppose a tablet of sorts - to take electronic copies of documents to meetings.

Carabosse
28 Jul 2012 - 1:53 PM

Quote: SLRs have stood the test of time, phones which can take equivalent quality pictures are yet to be produced and I doubt if they will be in our lifetimes.

Phones such as the Nokia 808 can give entry-level DSLRs a run for their money in terms of image quality. It's already happened. Sorry. Smile

Focus_Man
29 Jul 2012 - 9:40 AM

Quote: SLRs have stood the test of time, phones which can take equivalent quality pictures are yet to be produced and I doubt if they will be in our lifetimes.

Phones such as the Nokia 808 can give entry-level DSLRs a run for their money in terms of image quality. It's already happened. Sorry. Smile

Not true I am afraid. No phone can give a DSLR a run for its money. Maybe be with a simple image in bright sun, remember the old adage "All lenses are equal at f11" but over a range of photographic genre that it totally untrue and you know it.

779HOB
779HOB  21020 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Jul 2012 - 9:54 AM

Until recently I didnít have a phone with a camera worth using but about a month ago I was given an iPhone at work and I love using the camera Ė I like the effects I can play with on things like Instagram and Hipstamatic. I always carry my SLR, or at least itís always in the car and leaves the house with me, but I do always have the phone with me and have taken many more pictures of my kids and things I may not have taken before.

I use the phone and the SLR in very different ways and I love using both. I donít ever see a phone replacing my SLR but it has already replaced my compact point and shoot. I feel thatís the market in danger of really losing out to the camera phone.

keith selmes
29 Jul 2012 - 10:41 AM

Quote: I use the phone and the SLR in very different ways

This is where i feel dicussions that head towards one vs the other are a bit pointless. It all depends what you want to do with it.

Quote:
donít ever see a phone replacing my SLR but it has already replaced my compact point and shoot

I'm not surprised. That is where we might expect eventually "proper" cameras might disappear. I'm not sure to what extent though. A lot of people buying the cheaper phones aren't going to get a built in camera as good as their compact, or as good as the compact they can buy used on ebay for a few pounds. They may well go on using compacts for special occasions.

779HOB
779HOB  21020 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Jul 2012 - 11:19 AM

Quote: This is where i feel dicussions that head towards one vs the other are a bit pointless. It all depends what you want to do with it.

Agree

Quote: A lot of people buying the cheaper phones aren't going to get a built in camera as good as their compact

That's true but I think people who use their compacts a lot, like I used to do, will start to look at more expensive phones with better cameras and justify the extra spend on the phone as it's also their camera. If I had to buy a phone now I would probably go for something like the iPhone just for the camera. I hardly make calls on the phone, it's the other functions I use mostly, the ability to makes calls is a pretty small part of owning a phone now.

Focus_Man
29 Jul 2012 - 11:27 AM

I have a mobile but I use it for telephone calls. Logically if I want to take a photograph I use photographic equipment ie a camera.

quality wise - just no contest

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.