Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Are proper cameras doomed?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

779HOB
779HOB  2998 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Jul 2012 - 12:09 PM

Quote: Logically if I want to take a photograph I use photographic equipment ie a camera.

quality wise - just no contest

It's down to purpose I guess - as I say I use the phone camera instead of my point and shoot - saves carrying two devices and as most of the stuff I'd take on the point and shoot is only for viewing on screen quality isn't an issue.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Jul 2012 - 12:09 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

chuckdee
chuckdee  2
30 Jul 2012 - 6:29 PM

Interesting topic. Last week in Sports Illustrated, there was a photographer that had a 2-3 page spread with photos from his iPhone4. He used a few filters but the imagery is really nice looking. Pretty crazy that camera phone images made a national publication and a little scary if you're a professional photographer.
Pretty much the only thing a camera phone can't compete with, on an editorial basis is anything that requires a 200mm on up to capture.

779HOB
30 Jul 2012 - 7:28 PM

Quote: and a little scary if you're a professional photographer.

Don't agree with that really, a pro can use an iPhone too.

Bjarni
Bjarni  1143 forum posts Scotland
3 Aug 2012 - 8:05 PM

I use a camera to take pictures and a phone to make phone calls. I don't even use text messaging if I can avoid it. Emails? I use a computer for those, whether a desktop or a laptop doesn't really matter.

I'm trying to print more admittedly, but that isn't really the point as I don't use my phone for work, and I carry a compact with me every day. If I take photos at work, which I do fairly often, I process them then print them for display/record keeping and filing.

The sensor size/crop factor argument is going to come into play at some point with phones, maybe I'm just getting old but I prefer a dedicated device for its purpose, especially when it comes to taking pictures.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
3 Aug 2012 - 8:24 PM

Quote: I use a camera to take pictures and a phone to make phone calls

How quaint! Wink

I have to admit I don't often use my phone to take photos. The problem is not the camera but the ergonomics of the phone.

Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
4 Aug 2012 - 8:57 AM

Quote: , maybe I'm just getting old but I prefer a dedicated device for its purpose, especially when it comes to taking pictures.

I quite agree, but this is not really 'quaint' ( A very nice English word that) dedicated devices are designed to do that one job. Like a prime lens is designed for a specific focal length, a zoom lens is not as good, as the lens design is a compromise between efficiency its widest and longest focal length.

Last Modified By Focus_Man at 4 Aug 2012 - 8:59 AM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
4 Aug 2012 - 10:17 AM

Few things in life are not a comnpromise! Even a Leica M9P with a full set of lenses is a compromise.

The point about camera phones is that they are always with you, wherever you go, and are available to use at a moment's notice.

Carabosse
4 Aug 2012 - 12:51 PM

In case you haven't already seen them there are some interesting photos here taken with an iPhone, at the Olympics, by a professional photographer.

Carabosse
4 Aug 2012 - 2:34 PM

And an interesting article here about how smartphones (with cameras), coupled with social networking sites, seem to be leading to behavioural changes in the human species!

neverexisted
16 Aug 2012 - 12:27 AM

I think mobile devices are more suited for those "food" or "what I bought today" pictures, things you share on Instagram, but I don't think proper cameras are 'doomed'. Several of my friends at school have iPhones and Samsungs, yet a large proportion have expensive DSLR cameras as well as compacts.

779HOB
16 Aug 2012 - 8:32 AM

@ Carabosse : interesting article. I agree with what they are saying and for me this was highlighted at the Olympics closing ceremony with all (or nearly all) the athletes had cameras. This extensive use of phones and other cameras by the people at the events will of course have a knock-on effect on sales of images taken by the pro. I used to buy a news paper for the photo(s) in it, I remember buying the Guardian when I was a teenager because of the great football photos it had.

I do love using my phone camera and use it everyday for fun or pictures of my kids. It is as they say in the article a way of keeping a simple visual diary.

Carabosse
16 Aug 2012 - 6:46 PM

Quote: Several of my friends at school have iPhones and Samsungs, yet a large proportion have expensive DSLR cameras as well as compacts.

The question is not ownership but usage. If the camera phones are used for 90% of their photography and 'proper' cameras only for special occasions, that is a very definite change.

779HOB
16 Aug 2012 - 6:50 PM

Quote: If the camera phones are used for 90% of their photography and 'proper' cameras only for special occasions, that is a very definite change.

I don't know about 90% of the time but I am using my phone for my fun photos, when I am out walking or with my kids. It's just easier than having to download to Photoshop and process. But having said that I love using my SLR too. It's about use of the final image I guess, phone photos end up on Facebook, Twitter or just on the phone. SLR photos end up being sold as prints, published or as part of my longer term projects.

philhomer
philhomer  432 forum posts England32 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2012 - 6:54 PM

I have a kettle for boling water for tea, a phone for phone calls although i have to confess to texting, a camera for photogrpahy and a video camera for video...

i have no idea, or for that matter interest, in how many pixels my 'camera-phone' may boast, as i would like to consider myself a photographer. modern mobile technology is astounding, especially to us older folk (43) but for a proper image worth actually keeping as a photographic record and not a record-shot fair enough but please why have we even got this 'discussion' here?

are we photographers, snappers or worse ?

Carabosse
16 Aug 2012 - 6:57 PM

To be honest I ddon't think those who inhabit EPZ ("enthusiasts" etc) are representative of the general photographing public.

The vast majority of those who take photos are not enthusiasts.............. but they are the ones who buy imaging devices and from whom manufacturers make most of their profits.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.