Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Are proper cameras doomed?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45766 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2012 - 7:06 PM

Quote:
are we photographers, snappers or worse ?

Aren't all snappers photographers? Nowt wrong with being a snapper - that covers over half of my time with a camera.

I think I have posted this before but I was reading an article by Oz Clarke where he described an occasion where a group of international wine tasters were drinking a bottle of aged French red and waxing lyrical about the flavour, bouquet and long taste. After half an hour of this high-fallutin' tasting there was a brief silence and someone piped up 'Anyone fancy a bottle of Aussie shiraz?' and out came the supermarket shopping bag and a bit of unqualified fun.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Aug 2012 - 7:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rvoller
rvoller  233 forum posts United Kingdom
16 Aug 2012 - 10:19 PM

I love landscape photography and use dslr for best image quality though i fear technology will advance so much that there will be less work involed to get a 'decent picture' together with easy overkill on processing then as a consquence less appreciation, though saying that I hope landscape photography has a foot in the door in the house of art

SueEley
SueEley e2 Member 7271 forum postsSueEley vcard Wales96 Constructive Critique Points
17 Aug 2012 - 3:56 PM

In decent light, my mobile takes nicely saturated family photos and will also produce panoramas. My compact offers greater creative control, but, even though it is compact, is not as portable as my phone. I find I am using my phone more and more for records of family, though nothing will substitute for my 'real' cameras for 'real' photography! Grinpizza-express-pano.jpg (This is a light crop from a pano)

Last Modified By SueEley at 17 Aug 2012 - 3:57 PM
779HOB
779HOB  2985 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Aug 2012 - 4:36 PM

That's a nice shot Sue.

lemmy
lemmy  61673 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Aug 2012 - 6:03 PM

The vast majority of photographs taken today, as ever, are family, friends, holiday snaps. The average mobile phone camera does that just as well as any 'proper' camera, whatever that means.

You have to bear in mind that most people view their snaps on their phones too. You could use a 10x8 view camera and digitise the results but it would look no better on a phone.

Wine lovers think that people who drink supermarket wines are infra-dig. Cycle enthusiasts think that folk who ride without all the gear are inferior. Everyone needs someone to look down on. For keen photographers, it is mobile phone snappers but mobile phone snapper who is a car freak will look down on me because although I use a 'proper' camera, I regard cars as white goods and not interesting.

Even where there isn't a class system or hierarchy, we make one. Human nature, I reckon Wink

SueEley
SueEley e2 Member 7271 forum postsSueEley vcard Wales96 Constructive Critique Points
17 Aug 2012 - 6:20 PM

Quote: The vast majority of photographs taken today, as ever, are family, friends, holiday snaps. The average mobile phone camera does that just as well as any 'proper' camera, whatever that means.

You have to bear in mind that most people view their snaps on their phones too. You could use a 10x8 view camera and digitise the results but it would look no better on a phone.

Wine lovers think that people who drink supermarket wines are infra-dig. Cycle enthusiasts think that folk who ride without all the gear are inferior. Everyone needs someone to look down on. For keen photographers, it is mobile phone snappers but mobile phone snapper who is a car freak will look down on me because although I use a 'proper' camera, I regard cars as white goods and not interesting.

Even where there isn't a class system or hierarchy, we make one. Human nature, I reckon Wink

I like it all! Horses for courses, opportunities for new techniques. After my upload (above) I was experimenting with the near infinite dof on my mobile - now need to think of a tripod subsititute for it - one of those flexible grippy things, I think. I like my (now venerable) Nikon 300D. I like my portable Olympus Pen. I like the Fuji thing my gandkids can throw into a bucket of water and which will still work, and I like my phone. I really like my prime lenses. As I said, horses for courses, and mobiles work really well on some courses. Let's level the playing field and judge work on its merits.... if we can agree on criteria, of courseWink

779HOB
779HOB  2985 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Aug 2012 - 6:35 PM

Quote: Everyone needs someone to look down on. For keen photographers, it is mobile phone snappers

I'll have to start looking down on myself!

lawbert
lawbert  71639 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
17 Aug 2012 - 7:12 PM

YawnnnnnTongue

When compacts and camera phones have a lens mount that will take a dedicated lens with an 8 or 9 circular aperture blade to allow some bokeh at a macro to telephoto distance then they will be topsWink

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
18 Aug 2012 - 10:35 AM

Quote: When compacts and camera phones have a lens mount that will take a dedicated lens with an 8 or 9 circular aperture blade to allow some bokeh at a macro to telephoto distance then they will be tops

Lol! The vast majority of people who take photos have never even heard of "bokeh". Grin

Many will happily use their camera phones on a daily basis and, some may even take far more pictures than those who agonise over bokeh and the like.

lemmy
18 Aug 2012 - 2:12 PM

Quote: Lol! The vast majority of people who take photos have never even heard of "bokeh".

I was a professional photographer for 40 years and had never heard of bokeh Grin

It's just an extension to pixel peeping for OCD sufferers. Still, I would never buy a camera without first knowing its most important characteristic. And that is the Japanese concept of 超常現象

If you take the raw digital output of the anti-aliasing filter and apply a trichromatic Euclidian transform, the cube root of the resulting macro-diornialism can be seen to have a profound influence on the heptagonal component of the bokeh, modulation transfer and gaussian fourier distortion. The appearance of a photograph exhibiting negative or even borderline positive 超常現象 is harsh and, in my view unacceptable.

I would never, ever buy a camera or phone whose imaging capacity was blighted by poor 超常現象

I tried to take a picture on my 超常現象 enhanced Nikon D4/X 4538pi Super Hi L986p 36Mp to show you the difference but unfortunately it is broken.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
18 Aug 2012 - 2:23 PM

Quote: If you take the raw digital output of the anti-aliasing filter and apply a trichromatic Euclidian transform, the cube root of the resulting macro-diornialism can be seen to have a profound influence on the heptagonal component of the bokeh, modulation transfer and gaussian fourier distortion. The appearance of a photograph exhibiting negative or even borderline positive 超常現象 is harsh and, in my view unacceptable.

I quite agree. It's best to take a down-to-earth, straightforward approach to these things! Grin

petebfrance
18 Aug 2012 - 10:37 PM

Quote: Lol! The vast majority of people who take photos have never even heard of "bokeh".

Quote: I was a professional photographer for 40 years and had never heard of bokeh

interesting - I've been an (extremely) unprofessional photographer since - er, never mind - and only came across the word recently when looking at the various on-line camera sites. A check on Wiki says the word was 'popularised' in 1997. For some reason, though, I have to admit to not really liking it, particularly when associated with 'creamy.' However, each to his/her (*hastily modified from 'his') own......

Still, I do have a version of the possible 'bokeh monster' (opinions appear to vary on what is the real animal) securely wrapped up somewhere or other. I don't think it can get out Wink

Last Modified By petebfrance at 18 Aug 2012 - 10:41 PM
strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
19 Aug 2012 - 10:32 AM

Love Lemmy's post I was looking into getting a new bike, was thinking 300 ought to do and made the mistake of buying a magazine to discover the BSO (Bike Shaped Object). How anyone can peddle anything that costs less than 1,000.................... Anyway solved the dilema of new bike or not, was on a ride the other day and promptly fell off cracking ribs, not likely to be cycling for about 6 weeks, bike and rider not in good shape Sad

Its a bummer as I was half stone down in weight and feeling the benefits, now I feel the pain. I was going into store to get new bike today. I would laugh but it hurts to laugh. This was the prospective new set of wheels, alloys, carbon forks, more gears than I know how to use...err red.... Need to add new helmet to list.

Back to photography my two sisters use smart phones as cameras, portable slide shows, so pictures of kids days out etc are all on the phone and might make it to iPad or EMAIL, but few get printed. For many people it is all they need, as long as you can see the faces, recognise the new grand kid admire the hotel view what more is there for most people.

Last Modified By strawman at 19 Aug 2012 - 10:37 AM
lemmy
19 Aug 2012 - 2:43 PM

Quote: Need to add new helmet to list

Off topic but have a read of this....

RavenTepes
22 Aug 2012 - 7:02 AM

Quote: YawnnnnnTongue

When compacts and camera phones have a lens mount that will take a dedicated lens with an 8 or 9 circular aperture blade to allow some bokeh at a macro to telephoto distance then they will be topsWink

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Compact-Digital-Cameras/26356/COO...

If the above link is a reflection of what's to come...

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.