Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Are proper cameras doomed?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2012 - 9:48 AM

To my mind the past 10 years or so have seen the explosion of a variety of cameras aimed at the broad market, and enthusiasts have probably had the best deal. So I think we are pretty lucky at the moment.

As long as I can remember there has been a market for a camera you point in the direction of the subject and it does the best it can. That this is moving from a camera to a phone is not too relevant for us, as long as we can get a camera you can adjust the parameters to control what is recorded and we like the quality. The only thing that will make things worse for us is if we stop buying cameras aimed at us. Most film camera production dried up because people stopped buying them new.

And cross over devices like that Nikon are at last coming out, personally I see no issue with the camera getting smarter and more integrated as long as the controls and quality plus handling is there. Compacts ought to have a wireless capability such that when you get home it logs in and uploads you images to your storage hub, ideally in a pre-configured storage area, then when you feel like it you can organise/edit images as you want.

So I think it is all good.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Aug 2012 - 9:48 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2012 - 10:03 AM

The new Nikon Coolpix S800C announced today is one of the most interesting developments in this crossover area. I've been asking programmer mates for a couple of years if they could build something that would emulate what I can do on my iPhone in a "real camera". And this appears to be the answer.

If it works in the same way as the iPhone using the Android system you will be able to get camera apps like Hipstamatic and camera + to turn this camera into a wonderfully creative tool. All the Polaroid / lomo /holga style effects at your finger tips. Along with options to select metering point by the touch of a finger, or add a compositional framing device. It opens up the camera to infinite possibilities, and unlike previous compacts you're no longer stuck with what a camera technical bod in Japan thinks you want from a feature set.

In one way Nikon may be shooting themselves in the foot, because once you buy this camera you no longer need to look in the news for the next version with a slightly different feature set. This one is continually upgradeable, and for as little as 69p per upgrade.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2012 - 10:07 AM

Quote: The new Nikon Coolpix S800C announced today is one of the most interesting developments in this crossover area.

All it lacks is a phone! Wink

lemmy
lemmy  71813 forum posts United Kingdom
22 Aug 2012 - 11:26 AM

My reservation with cameras like that Nikon is that might be a step too far for a phone camera user, not sophisticated enough for an enthusiast, a bit neither this not that.

But maybe Nikon have found a completely new class of picture takers. Apple found such a new class with the iPad, after all, neither a phone or a laptop. Either way, nice to have such choices.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2012 - 11:31 AM

This new Nikon seems a bit pointless. You will still need to carry a separate device for making calls, sending texts/emails etc.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014126 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2012 - 11:38 AM

You can't make phone calls on an iPad but people still carry them (and take pictures on them) as well as a phone.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2012 - 11:49 AM

Quote: You can't make phone calls on an iPad but people still carry them (and take pictures on them) as well as a phone.

That reminds me I saw someone using an ipad to take photos out at the Fairy Pools in Skye - it looked wrong!

Quote: This new Nikon seems a bit pointless.

If I could have produced it - I would. There are so many photographers using phones now as a more expressive way of taking photos. Particularly with products like Hipstamatic, and even though you can blow up to A3 without too much difficulty there's still a lack of processing quality and optical sharpness that a true compact would give. Add that to the creative effects and you have a potentially highly creative tool that you can carry as a take everywhere camera.

Carabosse
22 Aug 2012 - 12:04 PM

An iPad is not a carry-everywhere device......... well for most people it isn't.

Things like Hipstamatic may be a fad (they've just laid off half their employees). I feel the real future is in devices like the Nokia 808. An Android phone with that sort of photographic capability could corner the market! Wink

Pete
22 Aug 2012 - 12:12 PM

Quote: Things like Hipstamatic may be a fad

No doubt they could be, but when one fad slips away another one appears and cameras like this can embrace those changes, but not have to be bogged down with all the phone aspects that currently bump up the price and potentially restrict the design/shape/processing/optical quality.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014126 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2012 - 12:12 PM

Quote: An iPad is not a carry-everywhere device......... well for most people it isn't.

I see a lot of people in the city shooting with their iPads...blooming annoying when you are trying to shoot over peoples heads in a crowd. A dedicated camera isn't a carry everywhere device for most people ...but they still sell.

Quote: Things like Hipstamatic may be a fad (they've just laid off half their employees).

Specific apps don't matter as much as the move from a device specific OS to a generalised OS. This change would mean a massive shift in the usability of cameras. Just being able to get home and have all my photos from a shoot download wirelessly would be a boon (my phone does this, my camera dosn't).
in addition it would save Nikon a fair few pennies in software development too.

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 22 Aug 2012 - 12:13 PM
Carabosse
22 Aug 2012 - 12:21 PM

Quote: I see a lot of people in the city shooting with their iPads

Well they would wouldn't they - flipping neo-Yuppies! Grin Certainly don't see that anyhwere else.

Quote: have all my photos from a shoot download wirelessly would be a boon

You need more than a wifi connection for full usability. The ability to insert a SIM card would help.

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2012 - 12:24 PM

I line out in the sticks and was taking a photo in the evening light of a wild meadow at night and someone turned up over my shoulder taking photo's with an iPad so its not just for those unfortunate few who live in Larndawn Village, its spreading.

Carabosse
22 Aug 2012 - 12:26 PM

Nevertheless, wifi capability on cameras - and a recent article in AP suggested all cameras should have this, as a basic facility now - does not make the camera into an all-purpose device.

Last Modified By Carabosse at 22 Aug 2012 - 12:26 PM
lobsterboy
22 Aug 2012 - 12:32 PM

But why does it need to be an all purpose device?
There is a lot of wifi available so for most people it would be perfectly ok

Carabosse
22 Aug 2012 - 12:49 PM

Quote: But why does it need to be an all purpose device?

So that you need carry only one device - not two. Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.