Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Are proper cameras doomed?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2012 - 1:06 PM

Amusing article here about how smartphones have brought changes,

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Aug 2012 - 1:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014170 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2012 - 1:10 PM

I doubt that will bother a lot of people. And if you must have a connection just tether your camera to your phone.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2012 - 1:12 PM

Quote: I doubt that will bother a lot of people.

Not EPZ members (and not even me) - but normal people don't want to carry two devices everywhere. Grin

Quote: And if you must have a connection just tether your camera to your phone.

Er......... two devices again! Wink

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014170 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2012 - 1:29 PM

I don't really understand your point. If you want to only carry one device then just get a phone. But clearly the ergonomics and battery life of a dedicated camera make it worth having a dedicated device if pictures are important to you.
Plenty of people are happy to do this, look at the number of people who own an ipod, iphone and an ipad when the are all essentially the same thing in a different form factor.

Carabosse
22 Aug 2012 - 2:18 PM

Quote: look at the number of people who own an ipod, iphone and an ipad

Own, yes. Carrry around everywhere?

If it isn't already the case, I'm sure it will soon be, that most photos are taken on integrated or 'convergence' devices rather than dedicated cameras.

Which is actually what this thread is about. I don't think we are in any real disagreement - only over details! Wink

lemmy
lemmy  71940 forum posts United Kingdom
22 Aug 2012 - 2:53 PM

I take a Panansonic G3 with 14-42mm compact standard lens everywhere. I'm an ex press photographer, I'd feel uneasy if I didn't.

A camera phone wouldn't cut it at all, even one of the new ones. If you want to flog pictures, compact cameras and phones with tiny sensors are not good enough, especially if the light levels are low.

The technical quality of a pic determines how much library use it will get in the years after the immediate news value has passed.

lobsterboy
22 Aug 2012 - 2:54 PM

Quote: Own, yes. Carrry around everywhere?

I see a lot of people carrying both a tablet and a phone, or a laptop and a phone.

Quote: most photos are taken on integrated or 'convergence' devices rather than dedicated cameras.

Oh yeah, for sure.

Quote: I don't think we are in any real disagreement

No just arguing the toss whilst some code compiles Smile

Carabosse
22 Aug 2012 - 5:25 PM

Quote: A camera phone wouldn't cut it at all, even one of the new ones.

In blind testing the Nokia 808 beat the Olympus Pen E-PL2 for image quality. And this is just the first 'super-camera phone'.

Are you sure they can't cut it? Wink

Quote: I see a lot of people carrying both a tablet and a phone, or a laptop and a phone.

Yes on the way to and from work. But to the park with the kids, or to a dinner party? I suspect very few!

lemmy
lemmy  71940 forum posts United Kingdom
22 Aug 2012 - 7:38 PM

Quote: In blind testing the Nokia 808 beat the Olympus Pen E-PL2 for image quality. And this is just the first 'super-camera phone'.
Are you sure they can't cut it?

I think blind testing may be the salient point here Wink

Actually, given that you cannot adjust the aperture, or various other exposure criteria or change the lens, yes, I am sure they can't cut it. It will compare to the M4/3s in some respects in good conditions but not otherwise. The tests seem to say that it is good for a phone camera.

Carabosse
22 Aug 2012 - 9:22 PM

Quote: The tests seem to say that it is good for a phone camera.

The tests seem to suggest it will beat an entry-level DSLR for image quality, never mind other camera phones! Smile

keith selmes
22 Aug 2012 - 10:08 PM

Quote: normal people don't want to carry two devices everywhere

I don't want to be accused of being normal, but I do usually leave the phone at home.

Carabosse
22 Aug 2012 - 10:11 PM

Quote: I don't want to be accused of being normal, but I do usually leave the phone at home.

OMG! shocking-dark.jpg And you don't feel panicky? tongue-dark.jpg

Fefe
Fefe e2 Member 2Fefe vcard United Kingdom29 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2012 - 10:42 PM

I am not used to this bit of EPZ but feel I must write my thoughts here............ I have noticed lots of people using mobiles as their "camera" Doubt it will last, it is just not the same is it! Real camera images whether it be a compact, bridge or DLSR are real photograph's, mobiles are ok for emergency but not much else, no matter how good they are. I have been taking photo's for many years and I do regret the "Camcorder" years when photographs were almost replaced by video, they are good to look back on but not as good as stills............... so I do think this mobile photo taking will die out eventually........ As a camera replacement anywayWink

Carabosse
22 Aug 2012 - 10:56 PM

Quote: so I do think this mobile photo taking will die out eventually

I'm sure that's what stagecoach manufacturers said about motor cars, when they first appeared. Lol! Wink

Carabosse
22 Aug 2012 - 11:26 PM

Anyway I doubt the latest pics of Prince Harry would have been obtained without a camera phone surreptitiously used! The photos have probably earned a fair bit of money for whoever took them. (They should have done a bit of post processing though! Lol! Wink)

PS: Don't look if easily offended by royals. Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.