Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

are supermarkets getting more expensive

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
youmightlikethis
youmightlikethis e2 Member 11987 forum postsyoumightlikethis vcard Scotland
1 Jun 2013 - 5:01 PM

stuff like cola sweets a certain brand of choc digestive I remember you could walk into any supermarket and come out with a bargain

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Jun 2013 - 5:01 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 109963 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
1 Jun 2013 - 5:07 PM

Simple answer is yes.

They are also getting more devious with their pricing, reducing the pack weights and keeping the same price as the original, 2 for 1 offers which cost more than buying the products separately etc.

Its down to us as the customer to wise up to their tricks and refuse to be taken in by them, by careful shopping we are still keeping our weekly shop price stable but it does take longer to check every item to make sure its the best deal available

213hardy
213hardy e2 Member 5469 forum posts213hardy vcard England
1 Jun 2013 - 5:48 PM

Totally agree with Brian, but equally as the cost of fuel goes up/stays high. everything else goes up, for the simple reason that everything you buy at some point in it's life HAS to travel by road at least once, be it biscuit or bricks. And that's just then end product, if you added in all the ingredients that it takes to make a product, and their transport costs, you're looking at a tidy sum that has to be passed on to the consumer.
(Sorry Ex trucker RantTongue)

Having said all that yes Supermarkets are robbing B******S!

Den

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122047 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
1 Jun 2013 - 6:12 PM

I was back in England briefly a couple of weeks ago and I can assure you they have! Price of wine is outrageous Sad

edtaylor
edtaylor  2104 forum posts United Kingdom
1 Jun 2013 - 6:46 PM

Don,t forget. This is "rip off Britain". All the supermarkets in my opinion collude together.

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92967 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
1 Jun 2013 - 6:50 PM

Supermarkets are the mafia in all but name.

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92967 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
1 Jun 2013 - 6:55 PM

Quote: Price of wine is outrageous

It is in the so called pub restaurants where I was charged £5.50 for a standard glass of bog standard wine.

justin c
justin c  104504 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
1 Jun 2013 - 7:01 PM

I've also noticed the extortionate prices especially in rip-off Tesco's. It's not unusual to see prices increase overnight by 100%, if they've even got the products on the shelves Sad. They've become so powerful they can do exactly as they please and rob their customers blind. I find that Asda are cheaper on a lot of things and now go out of my way to avoid giving anything more than I absolutely have to, to Tesco's. I'm sure they're all as bad as each other but over the last twelve months it's Tescos over inflated prices that I've become very aware of. When I enquired why certain products have gone up by over 100%, the customer service staff said there was no specific reason other than they could get away with it and they too thought it was disgusting and shopped elsewhere.

pulsar69
pulsar69  91611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
1 Jun 2013 - 8:30 PM

Quote: Stuff like cola sweets a certain brand of choc digestive I remember you could walk into any supermarket and come out with a bargain

Quote: Stuff like cola sweets a certain brand of choc digestive I remember you could walk into any supermarket and come out with a bargain

Simple solution - get yourself into your local B&M , the Range , Poundland etc all that stuff is in there for a fraction of supermarket prices .

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014200 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
1 Jun 2013 - 8:32 PM

You may take some comfort from the fact that you aren't the only ones paying more. This past winter prices of virtually everything have skyrocketed. Until this past year we paid about 6-8 dollars for a roasting chicken, now they're 12-14 dollars. We just stop buying things that go up in price unrealistically. Beef is another product that has gone through the roof. With produce, it seems only fruit has become noticeably very high in price. It's quite easy to get around it though, with a bit of planning. We go through the weekly flyers from the 3 or 4 supermarkets that we shop at and make our list, with preference given to sale items. I will also generally pick up items in the shopping aisles that are not priced and drop them at the cashiers and get a price check and leave them, just on principle.

youmightlikethis
youmightlikethis e2 Member 11987 forum postsyoumightlikethis vcard Scotland
1 Jun 2013 - 8:32 PM

I find Iceland good on price

JJGEE
JJGEE  96098 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
1 Jun 2013 - 8:52 PM

Quote: I find Iceland good on price

Does that take into account a return air fare ? Wink

Forget the shopping, great place for photography Smile

Last Modified By JJGEE at 1 Jun 2013 - 8:52 PM
scottishphototours

Quote: Stuff like cola sweets a certain brand of choc digestive I remember you could walk into any supermarket and come out with a bargainStuff like cola sweets a certain brand of choc digestive I remember you could walk into any supermarket and come out with a bargain

Simple solution - get yourself into your local B&M , the Range , Poundland etc all that stuff is in there for a fraction of supermarket prices .

Wedding tog shopping in Poundland. Has to be a truth in there somewhere, surely?!!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214383 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jun 2013 - 12:53 AM

I dare any of you to try this.

Next time your in the super market, before bagging each item as it goes through the till, remove and discard the outer packing, handing it back to the store to dispose of before you leave.

Smile Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 2 Jun 2013 - 12:53 AM
puertouk
puertouk  21012 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jun 2013 - 10:55 AM

You ought to come out here to Tenerife, if you think the supermarkets in the UK are bad. Unless you go to the capital, Santa Cruz to do your shopping, at El Campo, which over a 1 hour drive. We have small supermarkets, where prices are high. We have several shops with the Iceland badge, but they are astranomical prices for UK goods. You see 2 for 1 offers, but you don't get them here! Choice is extremely limited compared to going to the UK supermarkets. There's 3 things I miss living here; a good pint of cask ale (from the North, not that Southern rubbish) UK type supermarkets, where you can get practically anything and watching Huddersfield Town. Everything else you can keep.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.