Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

are supermarkets getting more expensive

parallax e2
5 121 United Kingdom
2 Jun 2013 11:00AM
We have got what so many people wanted. The convenience of getting everything under one giant roof. Frequently this has devastated the smaller retailers, butchers, grocers etc who ofter have better value produce. The supermarkets ride roughshod over farmers, local planning laws, offer bungs to councils and donate to the political parties. Now that they've conquered almost everywhere they can price fix at will.

Also go down any supermarket aisle and see how much plastic is used on packaging everything. We're drowning in the stuff and it doesn't break down.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Lucian 4 561
2 Jun 2013 2:19PM
Poundland is a great place to shop. I go in to buy one thing then end up buying loads.
cambirder 10 7.2k England
2 Jun 2013 4:51PM
Well you could always boycott the supermarkets, and use local shops instead. I certainly refuse to buy supermarket meat and support family butchers instead. Often its cheaper but the quality is always better and you get a better selection of cuts so I don't mind paying more when that is the case.
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
2 Jun 2013 5:38PM
Ditto, only its our local Farm shop and Game shop as we no longer have a butcher locally
thewilliam 6 4.8k
2 Jun 2013 6:12PM
When Boots the Chemist moved from Nottingham to Zurich, was this for tax reasons?

Do the big 4 supermarkets pay any Corporation Tax?
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
3 Jun 2013 8:54AM
For over two decades supermarkets have pushed supplier prices down to the point they are buying below the cost of production, and when the UK producers have squeaked too much (or gone out of business) they have done the same thing to overseas producers. The public have not cared: we have enjoyed the low prices and not really asked how they have done it, unless there is a scandal like the minced horsemeat one recently when we throw up our arms in indignation then complain when prices go up.
The problem now is that all those years of costcutting has caught up with them - there is no place else to go except raising prices. Some economists have been predicting this double whammy for some time: not only making up the backlog of fudged price increases allied with the 'natural' inflation that is starting to really hit everybody now.

Over the last 2 to 3 years or so I have found my local shops to be barely more expensive than the supermarkets but the produce is far superior in quality.
joolsb 10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
3 Jun 2013 8:22PM

Quote:When Boots the Chemist moved from Nottingham to Zurich, was this for tax reasons?

First I've heard of it. There certainly aren't any branches here. Anyway, Boots were sold to US giant, Walgreens, about a year ago. Walgreens do have a store at Lake Zurich -- Lake Zurich in Illinois, that is.

EDIT. Ah, going further back, in 2010 they were part of he Alliance UniChem group and, as such, had headquarters in Zug - known as one of the lower-tax cantons in the confederation. That must be what you're referring to...
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
3 Jun 2013 8:33PM
We still do a fair bit of shopping for produce in the summer at the farmer's market, but mostly for the few products we can, like peppers, cukes, and berries. However, last summer I talked to one of the Hutterite farmers and we discussed the prices; he said people wanted the prices low, and it wasn't worth their while coming in to the market to sell such a small amount. I told him that if the prices went any higher, it wouldn't be worth out while visiting the market. It's a catch 22.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
3 Jun 2013 8:35PM
What's pushing fuel prices so high now; we're paying the highest ever for gas for the car.
4 Jun 2013 11:28AM
If you want some bargains have a look at : www.approvedfood.co.uk You can save quite a lot of money.
thewilliam 6 4.8k
4 Jun 2013 11:38AM
This side of the Pearly Gates, you won't find all the advantages in one place!

When the Brits ruled India, the brewers invented India Pale Ale, a proper beer that was robust enough to survive the long voyage. Even the Victorian brewers failed to make a cask beer that would survive the trip to India.

Is it true that DFS sponsors the seating at the Huddersfield ground? They have to do something with the sofa that didn't sell in the sale.
cambirder 10 7.2k England
4 Jun 2013 4:39PM

Quote:If you want some bargains have a look at : www.approvedfood.co.uk You can save quite a lot of money.

It seems you can stuff you self with junk at a cheaper price anywayGrin
DOGSBODY 6 1.4k 30 England
5 Jun 2013 4:56PM
There was a bit on the television the other day about the government urging us to eat less meat. If you have seen the price of meat these days you don't need any urging. Nearly 23 for a leg of lamb in Morrisons a week ago.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
5 Jun 2013 5:59PM
Beef prices are high.

I can see vegetable prices rising as well.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.