Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Are supermarkets too powerful

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

thewilliam
15 Nov 2013 - 10:28 AM

The link takes us to a piece where a major supermarket's approach to customer service was to call the police and cause the innocent punter considerable distress before the supermarket graciously gave an apology.

http://money.aol.co.uk/2013/11/14/father-returns-empty-ipad-box-to-tesco-and-is-...

Do readers think the supermarkets have become too powerful?

Mod: if the external link is forbidden, please zap the entire thread because it's not much use without the link.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Nov 2013 - 10:28 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
mikehit  56532 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
15 Nov 2013 - 10:33 AM

This is a simple case of customer service and customer rights - I don't see it is anything about supermarkets being 'too powerful'.
I would even question it is the 'supermarket's approach' - the staff believed a crime may have been committed (fraud) and did a logical thing. If you thought you had been conned out of £100, I bet you would be onto the police pretty damned quick.

Last Modified By mikehit at 15 Nov 2013 - 10:33 AM
WhiteRose1
WhiteRose1 e2 Member 41056 forum postsWhiteRose1 vcard England136 Constructive Critique Points
15 Nov 2013 - 10:53 AM

I have non doubt an investigation is warranted but I wonder what the reasons for arrest where? If the shopper has been shown to be an innocent party and therefore a victim.... is the store now going to be investigated for fraud?

thewilliam
15 Nov 2013 - 11:00 AM

Quote: If the shopper has been shown to be an innocent party and therefore a victim.... is the store now going to be investigated for fraud?

Exactly, but I wouldn't hold my breath!

mikehit
mikehit  56532 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
15 Nov 2013 - 11:08 AM

I guess it depends where the tablet was found: for example, if an employee had tried to nick it and fool the stock system by replacing the box, then the supermarket is probably not at fault. For the store to be investigated, the customer would have to make a complaint otherwise the police won't touch it. And if they do investigate, who do they charge?

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014836 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
15 Nov 2013 - 11:27 AM

I know someone who runs an Asda

I've been in for a brew and watched the security videos

The stuff people get up to to steal things is incredible - they've had all sorts. They tend to detain them in a special room leaving them there for the police to collect. There is a video in that room - just to make sure they don't damage themselves... they've seen men masturbating in there, and one had a dump and daubed the stuff all over the walls (that one was a woman).

He says, and I have no evidence either way, that our new eastern European friends are particularly keen on free shopping

I've not read the article linked to , but I have seen LOTS of video of people stealing things - mistakes happen, but rarely or we'd hear a lot more about it

wnbeat
wnbeat  836 forum posts Scotland
15 Nov 2013 - 11:43 AM

Is "thewilliam" so busy trying to instigate debate on this forum that he has no time to upload a picture or two ??

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012607 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
15 Nov 2013 - 11:44 AM

that link doesnt give you all the story, there is a bit more to it than that...

Quote: A Kent Police spokesman said: ‘Mr Marsh was arrested on suspicion of fraud following information that the iPad in question had apparently been registered in his name at some time between 21 and 24 December 2012.
‘This was investigated and as soon as it became clear that Mr Marsh had not committed any offences, his bail was cancelled and he was informed police would not be taking any further action against him.’

Last Modified By answersonapostcard at 15 Nov 2013 - 11:44 AM
keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023094 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
15 Nov 2013 - 11:55 AM

Its really very simple. An offence had been comitted - either fraud or theft - and this chap ( nearly a year before the story) had been a suspect.

And that's it.

Peter_West
15 Nov 2013 - 12:55 PM

Ade !!!!! i was just tucking into my Friday pie them Sad

monstersnowman
15 Nov 2013 - 3:41 PM

My friend is a security guard at a Tesco .. People try many devious things to rip them off. Things like this happen in small and large places also. Its nothing to do with them being too big .. As for the woman in the article taking her horse into the fast food outlet .. Well it's her that is the nutter.

Graysta
Graysta  91135 forum posts England
15 Nov 2013 - 8:24 PM

Quote: taking her horse into the fast food outlet

How fresh do you need your burger? Tongue

Last Modified By Graysta at 15 Nov 2013 - 8:24 PM
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014836 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2013 - 2:40 PM

Quote: Ade !!!!! i was just tucking into my Friday pie them Sad

I think they've seen that on CCTV too Wink

Neon1
Neon1  1 United Kingdom
7 Dec 2013 - 10:50 AM

"that our new eastern European friends are particularly keen on free shopping"

Anyone who would write this is a ****er in my view.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2013 - 11:27 AM

I reported a drunk driver in his late 50's at Sainsbury's car last week..

I sat in the car and watched as he hit a another car trying to park scraping it all down the side, he then tried to park somewhere else within the car park hoping no-one was watching, I then watched as he basically fell out of his own car quite clearly pissed and then went into the store. That's when I called Police who asked me to wait so I could identify the jerk, they arrived within 5 minutes asked me for a description and asked if I would try and find him with them in the store. He was arrested despite his protestations in the alcohol area of the store pushing a trolley loaded to the hilt with cheap booze . CCTV proved conclusively he had driven to the store that and the fact the Police confiscated his car keys and pressed the buttons once outside to confirm what I'd told them and that the car was his. BTW the Police told me he blew 3 times over and was already a disqualified driver, more worrying was the fact all this went on at 3.15-3.30 in the afternoon while the schools were coming out!!! Was I sorry for reporting him, not a one jot, but I've a feeling his Xmas isn't going to be as fun as he'd hoped and he might be feeling a sorry for himself somewhat Tongue

I like a drink as next as the next man, but this was just ridiculous and I watched in disbelief at what I had witnessed........Personally I hope the courts throw away the key

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.