Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Are there many pro here?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

TonyCoridan
13 Mar 2013 - 9:34 AM

Hi Fellow photographers,

How many of you here are pro?

And how many here have done a full university degree in photography?

Do one need a degree in photography to be a pro?

I'm not a pro.

Regards,

Tony

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Mar 2013 - 9:34 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JohnParminter
13 Mar 2013 - 10:06 AM

Quote: Hi Fellow photographers,

Are we not "artists" anymore Tony...?

Actually, I don't know what is worse, being referred to as an artist or a photographer.... Smile

I don't really consider myself either so I'm categorically not a pro.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318450 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
13 Mar 2013 - 10:20 AM

I would say a degree is not needed to make you a pro, but it could make you a better photographer which should be helpful when you are a pro.
Likewise a marketing, management or business degree might make you a better business person to manage your pro photography business.

Newdevonian
13 Mar 2013 - 10:22 AM

I think I am probably in the majority here, when I say "I am a man / women wot dus photography". That doesn't necessarily make me a photographer.

TonyCoridan
13 Mar 2013 - 10:25 AM

Quote: Hi Fellow photographers,

Are we not "artists" anymore Tony...?

Actually, I don't know what is worse, being referred to as an artist or a photographer.... Smile

I don't really consider myself either so I'm categorically not a pro.

I could referred you/us here as just fellows/guys etc I don't want to sound sexist: I try and use gender neutral words so that I don't offend anyone! I just try!

TonyGrin

*you are an artist, of course!

puertouk
puertouk  31076 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
13 Mar 2013 - 10:52 AM

Anyone who makes a living from photography is a pro. If you have been to uni does not make you a pro. What uni does is teach you the fundamentals of photography and how things work. Basically, if you have a degree, it does not always make you good at what you are doing. It means you understand the field you have studied in. In photography, any fool can point a camera and take a great shot, you don't need a degree to do that. Getting a degree opens up a new world, where you will meet people in that "World" who could help you move forward as a pro. Everyone who gets a degree does not always go on in their chosen field and make it. I know people who have degrees and are working in shops, serving behind counters. I am self taught and have read huge amounts on photography as well as watching god knows how many videos on the subject. My line of work when I lived in the UK was a business manager. As Pete says, if you are good at marketing or management, you may well do better as a pro, than someone who has got a degree in photography.

Being a pro is not always being able to go out and take great photos, but to keep your business running smoothly and making a profit. Basically, that's what a pro does, but hopefully comes up with some good work as well.
Stephen

JohnParminter
13 Mar 2013 - 10:56 AM

Quote: I think I am probably in the majority here, when I say "I am a man / women wot dus photography".

You mean you don't know if you are a man or a woman Chris.....

It doesn't matter if you don't know, but are you pro or not....??

Smile

Newdevonian
13 Mar 2013 - 11:05 AM

What is a Professional Photographer?
A Person who supports themselves and their family on the proceeds of their photography, say a minimum of 30k PA. with no other gainful employment.
How many on this site can claim that?
Although I have done commercial jobs, I am not and never have been a "Pro" (I hate that word!) photographer and never wish to, or will be one.
I am an enthusiastic amateur photographer, whatever that means.
And just for the record, I have male bits which I am proud to admit to. Grin

Last Modified By Newdevonian at 13 Mar 2013 - 11:39 AM
TonyCoridan
13 Mar 2013 - 11:16 AM

So, most of us here if not all here (or other photographer similar to us) spend thousands on equipment just for the love of it?

How many of you here are millionaire (I'm not). I'd like to earn a bit off my photography.

Like other hobbyists make their living from what they love doing e.g. footballers, musicians, and so on!Grin

A bit like Rooney!

Tony

779HOB
779HOB  21021 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Mar 2013 - 11:19 AM

Quote: Do one need a degree in photography to be a pro?

I'd say you don't need one but in some areas of photography it might help you break into the pro world. Uni's do a lot of work around work placement and I wonder if this is good for areas like fashion. There's more to get out of a degree than learning the practical side of any subject. It's also about the contacts you make and other business skills you pick up as part of many courses.

Quote: A Person who supports themselves and their family on the proceeds of their photography, say a minimum of 30k PA. with no other gainful employment.

Based on that I am not a pro. I haven't go a degree of any kind either.

Nigeyboy
Nigeyboy  6537 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Mar 2013 - 11:32 AM

I regret going to University - degree (not a photography one mind you!) did nothing to help me. I did a biology degree, and am now a Network engineer!! With hindsight those 3 years could well have been used getting proper work experience!!!

779HOB
779HOB  21021 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Mar 2013 - 11:41 AM

Quote: did nothing to help me

Do you not think it helped you learn to research or something? I guess if you'd gone into a job that needed a knowledge of biology you would feel a bit differently. Looking back I wish I had gone to uni not sure I would have studied anything relevant to my work, might have done history, maybe even photography!

Newdevonian
13 Mar 2013 - 11:46 AM

Quote: I regret going to University - degree (not a photography one mind you!) did nothing to help me. I did a biology degree,

Surely Photosynthesis counts? Grin

scottishphototours

A Pro with a degree in photography must be a rare beast...no, your photography degree will do nothing toward getting you work or keeping clients long term.

The whole industry is price driven now so they'll employ someone cheaper than you at every opportunity. Best to become an "artist" and wallow in your self pity at being unable to afford to live as you'd like because you'll be skint...

paulcookphotography

I am a professional digital artist/photographer and have two art school degrees, but neither of them are in digital art or photography. What i do now was not my chosen career path, but something i sort of fell in to.

You dont need a degree to be a photographer (or any other form of artist) because as much as technique can be taught, artistic talent (or the 'eye' for it) cant. It really depends on what side of photography you want to enter though, as not every professional photographer requires an artistic approach (forensic photography, for exapmle)

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.