Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Are they living in the past

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104014 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
25 Nov 2012 - 4:04 PM

tomcat/thewilliam...you should spend more time over this side of the Irish sea....GrinGrin

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Nov 2012 - 4:04 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102286 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
25 Nov 2012 - 4:10 PM

Quote: Quote:

The source of man's unhappiness is his ignorance of Nature. The pertinacity with which he clings to blind opinions imbibed in his infancy, which interweave themselves with his existence, the consequent prejudice that warps his mind, that prevents its expansion, that renders him the slave of fiction, appears to doom him to continual error.

d'Holbach

Ade

Absolutely spot on classic quote, Ade. Smile I've said the same in my blogs but nothing like as eloquently.

Jestertheclown
25 Nov 2012 - 5:16 PM

Quote: Ah, well such is the "rich" tapestry of life...Grin

Well put.

Whatever people's opinions of these orders and/or their marches, the members/marchers still have the fundamental rights to belong to and to take a part in them.

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85912 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
25 Nov 2012 - 6:10 PM

Quote: Not for me, my family tree dates all the way back and has important links to a certain person.

As it happens, so does mineWink

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41197 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
25 Nov 2012 - 6:19 PM

If someone niggles at you repeatedly, you can either ignore it and not let it get to you, or you can escalate it into a conflict.
The history books are full of the latter option, where each side is "right and justified" and use any excuse to perpetrate atrocities on the other side. These marches, whoever they are by, are a deliberate attempt to goad the other side, be it Protestant/Catholic, Labour/Conservative, Islamic Fundamentalists/BNP, even Arab/Israeli.

The reason these people want to march is either to draw attention to themselves and goad others into reacting against it, or a demonstration of solidarity at belonging to a particular group.

But then we just had major parades for Remembrance Day, so where is the difference?

Nick

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315182 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
25 Nov 2012 - 6:22 PM

Quote: There are some divisive parts of our history that serve no part in our present or future except to perpetuate division and hostility

Hell we still celebrate November 5th when Guy Fawkes and other Catholic conspirators were accused of planning to blow up the English Parliament while it was in session Smile

If a few people want to parade around in silly costumes let them.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 25 Nov 2012 - 6:23 PM
tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85912 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
25 Nov 2012 - 6:28 PM

Quote: Hell we still celebrate November 5th when Guy Fawkes and other Catholic conspirators were accused of planning to blow up the English Parliament while it was in session Smile

Not with same velocity, that some of these political groups do thoughSmile

I probably here more fireworks let off at X-mas these days than on the 5th and also by the numpties who think it is cool to have them for their birthday celebrations - especially when they live in a third floor flatSmile

The strange thing about Nov 5th, is that we actually celebrate a non-event

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315182 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
25 Nov 2012 - 6:31 PM

Quote: The strange thing about Nov 5th, is that we actually celebrate a non-event

Its not the only none event we celebrate Smile

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102286 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
25 Nov 2012 - 6:31 PM

Quote: If a few people want to parade around in silly costumes let them.
Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 25 Nov 2012 - 6:23 PM

Absolutely...it would be a shame to ban the bishops from wearing their silly costumes in their eternal pantomime of pretence. Wink

Paul Morgan
25 Nov 2012 - 6:36 PM

Quote: The strange thing about Nov 5th, is that we actually celebrate a non-event

Though I think we are really celebrating the fact that he was discovered and stopped, not the mere fact that he attempted to blow up the houses of Parliament, you can`t really call it a none event Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 25 Nov 2012 - 6:37 PM
tomcat
25 Nov 2012 - 6:38 PM

Quote: Its not the only none event we celebrate Smile

I presume you mean the forthcoming festivities PaulWink

monstersnowman
25 Nov 2012 - 6:40 PM

Quote: There are some divisive parts of our history that serve no part in our present or future except to perpetuate division and hostility

Hell we still celebrate November 5th when Guy Fawkes and other Catholic conspirators were accused of planning to blow up the English Parliament while it was in session Smile

If a few people want to parade around in silly costumes let them.

Bonfire Night doesn't perpetuate division and hostility ... Totally different. If Bonfire Night did I would choose not to observe it.

Jestertheclown
25 Nov 2012 - 6:45 PM

I'll wager that very shortly afterwards, Guy Fawkes and his mates didn't think it was a non-event!

monstersnowman
25 Nov 2012 - 6:45 PM

Quote: So is the slave trade

Not for me, my family tree dates all the way back and has important links to a certain person.

Clearly my point was that something does not need to be celebrated JUST because it is part of someone's history, especially if it causes continued division and hostility.

monstersnowman
25 Nov 2012 - 6:46 PM

I'll wager that very shortly afterwards, Guy Fawkes and his mates didn't think it was a non-event!

Aren't we celebrating the 'event' of frustrating the plot and arresting the conspirators.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.