Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Are they living in the past

cats_123 e2
10 4.3k 25 Northern Ireland
25 Nov 2012 4:04PM
tomcat/thewilliam...you should spend more time over this side of the Irish sea....GrinGrin

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

gcarth e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
25 Nov 2012 4:10PM

Quote:Quote:

The source of man's unhappiness is his ignorance of Nature. The pertinacity with which he clings to blind opinions imbibed in his infancy, which interweave themselves with his existence, the consequent prejudice that warps his mind, that prevents its expansion, that renders him the slave of fiction, appears to doom him to continual error.

d'Holbach

Ade

Absolutely spot on classic quote, Ade. Smile I've said the same in my blogs but nothing like as eloquently.
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
25 Nov 2012 5:16PM

Quote:Ah, well such is the "rich" tapestry of life...Grin

Well put.

Whatever people's opinions of these orders and/or their marches, the members/marchers still have the fundamental rights to belong to and to take a part in them.
tomcat e2
9 6.2k 15 United Kingdom
25 Nov 2012 6:10PM

Quote:Not for me, my family tree dates all the way back and has important links to a certain person.

As it happens, so does mineWink
Sooty_1 4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
25 Nov 2012 6:19PM
If someone niggles at you repeatedly, you can either ignore it and not let it get to you, or you can escalate it into a conflict.
The history books are full of the latter option, where each side is "right and justified" and use any excuse to perpetrate atrocities on the other side. These marches, whoever they are by, are a deliberate attempt to goad the other side, be it Protestant/Catholic, Labour/Conservative, Islamic Fundamentalists/BNP, even Arab/Israeli.

The reason these people want to march is either to draw attention to themselves and goad others into reacting against it, or a demonstration of solidarity at belonging to a particular group.

But then we just had major parades for Remembrance Day, so where is the difference?

Nick
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
25 Nov 2012 6:22PM

Quote:There are some divisive parts of our history that serve no part in our present or future except to perpetuate division and hostility

Hell we still celebrate November 5th when Guy Fawkes and other Catholic conspirators were accused of planning to blow up the English Parliament while it was in session Smile

If a few people want to parade around in silly costumes let them.
tomcat e2
9 6.2k 15 United Kingdom
25 Nov 2012 6:28PM

Quote:Hell we still celebrate November 5th when Guy Fawkes and other Catholic conspirators were accused of planning to blow up the English Parliament while it was in session Smile

Not with same velocity, that some of these political groups do thoughSmile

I probably here more fireworks let off at X-mas these days than on the 5th and also by the numpties who think it is cool to have them for their birthday celebrations - especially when they live in a third floor flatSmile

The strange thing about Nov 5th, is that we actually celebrate a non-event
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
25 Nov 2012 6:31PM

Quote:The strange thing about Nov 5th, is that we actually celebrate a non-event

Its not the only none event we celebrate Smile
gcarth e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
25 Nov 2012 6:31PM

Quote:If a few people want to parade around in silly costumes let them.
Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 25 Nov 2012 - 6:23 PM

Absolutely...it would be a shame to ban the bishops from wearing their silly costumes in their eternal pantomime of pretence. Wink
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
25 Nov 2012 6:36PM

Quote: The strange thing about Nov 5th, is that we actually celebrate a non-event

Though I think we are really celebrating the fact that he was discovered and stopped, not the mere fact that he attempted to blow up the houses of Parliament, you can`t really call it a none event Smile
tomcat e2
9 6.2k 15 United Kingdom
25 Nov 2012 6:38PM

Quote:Its not the only none event we celebrate Smile

I presume you mean the forthcoming festivities PaulWink
monstersnowman 9 1.7k 1 England
25 Nov 2012 6:40PM

Quote:There are some divisive parts of our history that serve no part in our present or future except to perpetuate division and hostility

Hell we still celebrate November 5th when Guy Fawkes and other Catholic conspirators were accused of planning to blow up the English Parliament while it was in session Smile

If a few people want to parade around in silly costumes let them.

Bonfire Night doesn't perpetuate division and hostility ... Totally different. If Bonfire Night did I would choose not to observe it.
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
25 Nov 2012 6:45PM

Quote:The strange thing about Nov 5th, is that we actually celebrate a non-event

I'll wager that very shortly afterwards, Guy Fawkes and his mates didn't think it was a non-event!
25 Nov 2012 6:45PM

Quote:So is the slave trade

Not for me, my family tree dates all the way back and has important links to a certain person.

Clearly my point was that something does not need to be celebrated JUST because it is part of someone's history, especially if it causes continued division and hostility.
25 Nov 2012 6:46PM

I'll wager that very shortly afterwards, Guy Fawkes and his mates didn't think it was a non-event!

Aren't we celebrating the 'event' of frustrating the plot and arresting the conspirators.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.