Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Are they living in the past

gcarth e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
25 Nov 2012 6:55PM

Quote:Aren't we celebrating the 'event' of frustrating the plot and arresting the conspirators.
We need a new Guy Fawkes - a smarter one! Wink

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

tomcat e2
9 6.0k 15 United Kingdom
25 Nov 2012 7:02PM

Quote:But then we just had major parades for Remembrance Day, so where is the difference?

Possibly a lot

Having said that Remembrance day is for

1- Remembering those that fell in the Great war - Why? - Because we had to stick our noses in things that did not really concern us - the loss of life is unforgivable

2 - Remembering those that fell in WW2 - Why? - We had to honour a treaty with Poland, who for the next 50 years plus, were subjected to a vile communist, Soviet rule

3 - Remembering those that have fallen in the Falklands, Iraq etc; - modern day soldiers, fighting for modern day beliefs, which eventually might help stabilise the world

My thoughts and condolences are with all of them, but they ( my condolences) do not go to the incumbent politicians at the commencement of WW1 & WW2
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
25 Nov 2012 7:15PM

Quote:We need a new Guy Fawkes - a smarter one!

911 ?
Nick_w e2
7 3.9k 99 England
25 Nov 2012 7:25PM

Quote:2 - Remembering those that fell in WW2 - Why? - We had to honour a treaty with Poland, who for the next 50 years plus, were subjected to a vile communist, Soviet rule

Are you really saying we should have let Hitler over run Europe? And you think he would have left us Jolly Brits to ourselves? what about all the Jewish communities that were annialated (6 million across Europe), not to mention the disabled, gypseys ets so we should have just sat back and let it happen?

Don't get me wrong war should be the LAST resort, but sometimes it is necassary, where the errors were was that the Western World didn't act quickly enough (Chamberlain, the US etc) AND more should have been done to reintegrate Germany back into the fold after WW1, not hit them with punnative reparasions - but hey hindsight etc etc.
tomcat e2
9 6.0k 15 United Kingdom
25 Nov 2012 7:34PM

Quote:Are you reallysaying we should have let Hitler over run Europe? And you think he would have left us Jolly Brits to ourselves? what about all the Jewish communities that were annialated, we should have just sat back and let it happen?

Of course I am not, but ask the Palestinians, who had their land taken away from them - by us (Britain)

Imagine living in, say Berkshire, and someone decreeing that you all have to move because we need to repatriate these(someone who wasn't there) people there
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
25 Nov 2012 7:36PM

Quote:Clearly my point was that something does not need to be celebrated JUST because it is part of someone's history, especially if it causes continued division and hostility

Its a celebration that still carries anti-Catholic sentiment, its one of the reasons I don`t celebrate 5th November.
mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
25 Nov 2012 8:06PM

Quote:

Its a celebration that still carries anti-Catholic sentiment, its one of the reasons I don`t celebrate 5th November.

Does it? I doubt 99% of the population know that that event was about catholic v protestant. I certainly had not given it any thought for 40 years in the context of bonfire night.
It is that sort of perceived slight that causes many disputes to last centuries.
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
25 Nov 2012 8:20PM
Maybe its time November the 5th was celebrated in a much more traditional sense with the burning of the Pope, it would quickly get banned.
davidcollins 9 104 1 Scotland
25 Nov 2012 8:48PM
battle of the boyne 1690 for the start of the orange order
CaptivePhotons 11 1.6k 2 England
25 Nov 2012 8:57PM

Quote:Maybe its time November the 5th was celebrated in a much more traditional sense with the burning of the Pope, it would quickly get banned.

It happens every year in Lewes . It hasn't been banned yet.
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
25 Nov 2012 9:09PM
Its not the same though is it.
25 Nov 2012 9:19PM

Quote:Its not the same though is it.

No, it's a stuffed pope, the real one was busy Tongue
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
25 Nov 2012 9:26PM
Like us here I don`t think they still burn effigy`s of the Pope.

Edit, yes thet do Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc1lwKfSQ1g

Can`t see going down well in Liverpool Smile
25 Nov 2012 9:35PM
25 Nov 2012 9:36PM

Quote:Edit, yes thet do

You beat me to it.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.