Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Are they living in the past

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314968 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
25 Nov 2012 - 9:38 PM

But they don`t burn effigy`s of today`s pope, originally that is what it was all about, anti-Catholic sentiment Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Nov 2012 - 9:38 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lemmy
lemmy  71774 forum posts United Kingdom
26 Nov 2012 - 1:08 PM

Quote: If a few people want to parade around in silly costumes let them.

So long as they don't break any laws, yes why not.

The thing is about all these fascist/ anti-fascist, catholic/ prods groups is that they are the same type people on both sides.

Generally about 5% of any population, they need one another, the one to validate the other and vice-versa. They are symbiotic.

I do have to chuckle at those pompous quotes - statements of the bleedin' obvious couched in portentious terms. They remind of the pope's recent remark that so much tragedy would be avoided if only we would love one another....yes but we don't. We are subject to human nature which no-one has yet found any way to change. And we wouldn't agree among our ourselves what the changes should be even if we could change it.

mikehit
mikehit  46189 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
26 Nov 2012 - 1:35 PM

I don't think anyone doubts their right to have such an organisation, but for one founded on the divisions in Ireland my question is 'why Harrogate'? and assuming that Mr Parkyn is local, what is it that appeals to him.

Quote: The thing is about all these fascist/ anti-fascist, catholic/ prods groups is that they are the same type people on both sides.

Generally about 5% of any population, they need one another, the one to validate the other and vice-versa. They are symbiotic.

So true.

Last Modified By mikehit at 26 Nov 2012 - 1:36 PM
collywobles
26 Nov 2012 - 4:22 PM

They are just a bunch of Dinosaurs.

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93450 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
27 Nov 2012 - 8:04 AM

A good point there Lemmy. I've often felt that "human nature" makes a great excuse for those who don't want to make changes in their own lives our to account for their own actions. In all matters, not this one per se.

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102260 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
27 Nov 2012 - 8:30 AM

Quote: A good point there Lemmy. I've often felt that "human nature" makes a great excuse for those who don't want to make changes in their own lives our to account for their own actions. In all matters, not this one per se.

I agree with you about Lemmy's excellent points.

Quote: I've often felt that "human nature" makes a great excuse for those who don't want to make changes in their own lives our to account for their own actions. In all matters, not this one per se.

I agree with that too. Since around about the 1980's it seems to be the thing to say "I can't help it - it's just the way I am". I think this sort of attitude isn't helped by the fact that a good number of modern scientists seem to me to attach too much importance to the role of genes in our make-up. The shaping of a personality is about making choices and the shaping of a meaningful life is about making meaningful choices (whatever a meaningful life is! Wink.

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102260 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
27 Nov 2012 - 8:35 AM

Oh, I should have added that I still think genes are very important - but no more important than other factors like environment and upbringing, peer groups etc...

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.