Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Are Venture Photography fooling their customers?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

SuziBlue
SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jul 2009 - 1:17 AM

Free is free. I don't expect to have to subsidise anyone who offers me a free anything Smile

Some time ago I won a holiday in a French farmhouse for a week on a writing course - the owner (the person who set up the comp in the first place) did nothing but complain about the fact that I was costing him money by being there. His choice, his comp. I won it. Should have treated me with a little more kindness and decency.

So there Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Jul 2009 - 1:17 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

photostoreuk
31 Jul 2009 - 7:24 AM

In most shopping centres its cost's well over 500 pound a day for a stand, i know its over a thousand at the trafford centre, and if you see the size of venture shops i would hate to have the electric bills, business rates and rent they have to payl I think they are dear but with there outlay understandable.

My studio and warehouse is cheap with rates included, if i was in a shopping centre or on a high street i could justify higher prices. I took my daughter for her free shoot at pixifoto. They chage 30 pound per 8 x 10 and try and start by selling you a pack of over 100 pounds..

ZenTog
ZenTog  127875 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jul 2009 - 8:17 AM

Quote: Free is free. I don't expect to have to subsidise anyone who offers me a free anything

Some time ago I won a holiday in a French farmhouse for a week on a writing course - the owner (the person who set up the comp in the first place) did nothing but complain about the fact that I was costing him money by being there. His choice, his comp. I won it. Should have treated me with a little more kindness and decency.

So there

he was complaining suzi over his wine bill, even in france red wine costs money you know!!

Fishnet
Fishnet  104976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jul 2009 - 8:30 AM

My friend back in London had a family portrait session done at Venture, she is very well off but even she admits that £1000 for 4 canvas prints was a bit hefty but felt bullied into buying them and is paying them off with their payment plan.

The worst thing was, when she showed me, they were hanging in her HUGE open plan, white kitchen with a glass ceiling and wall, I could have taken better ones, in there for free, in fact, if she'd put her camera on a timer SHE could have taken better ones for free.

roxpix
roxpix  102236 forum posts Scotland11 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jul 2009 - 8:30 AM

Free is Free?

Free is very rarely free
Yup its one of the most mis-used words in business with very little legislation/enforcement to ensure compliance or true visibility to its use

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jul 2009 - 8:34 AM

Well, their photoshoot is free, you just need to pay for the prints/canvases.
If you don't want to part with your money, they can't do anything.

Last Modified By Coleslaw at 31 Jul 2009 - 8:37 AM
roxpix
roxpix  102236 forum posts Scotland11 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jul 2009 - 8:49 AM

Quote: Well, their photoshoot is free, you just need to pay for the prints/canvases.
If you don't want to part with your money, they can't do anything.

Free To you
For everyone who doesn’t buy the cost of this free photoshoot is covered by those who did, its not free Smile

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jul 2009 - 9:01 AM

Well, it is free in my book, but I wouldn't even go for the photoshoot anyway knowing how expensive they are.
As I said, if you think it is too expensive and don't want to buy it, they don't have your bank details to take the money (or do they?).

Tandberg
Tandberg  111218 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jul 2009 - 9:46 AM

I have a friend who went to the leeds one i think? and they paid a fortune for a few images and some smaller ones in a perspex square block frame..
How much ya think dave she asked witha smile

£500-600 i replied
Her face dropped as she knows i love photography and have a general idea.
Go on how much i asked?

Didnt get a reply that day, but some weeks later i found out from a friend of the family she paid a few thousand pounds.

I could not believe it,rediculous
Dave

PWhittle
PWhittle  7176 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Jul 2009 - 12:42 PM

there's one round the corner, which rarely seems to be in use, but turns over £2million pa. A wee bit more than me...
I reckon they're starting to srtuggle, given their efforts to get people in - even offering multi-buy discount for the first time ever.

Some people will always chose a premium brand, so they can tell they're friends how much they paid, presumably as they think it's impressive.

I'd like to know how many return customers they get.

My dad went a shoot at one, and they rejected the photos. Apparently this had never happened before - except to the other people I know who have done the same (including some of my customers).

you can't knock them from a business point of view, however I think their business practices are unethical.

User_Removed
31 Jul 2009 - 3:35 PM

I quite agree about their business practices being unethical. What i did not understand the other day is why they were in a shopping centre on a weekday photographing peoples kids. If people are in a shopping centre between 9am and 5pm on a weekday then surely the vast majority of them have not got jobs so surely they cant be the sort of people that venture should be targeting if they have no money. Some people go and buy a £25 gift voucher for people they know thinking they are giving them a nice gift just for the person to find out after the shoot that they need to spend a few hundred pounds out their own pocket to get something half decent. It just irritates me that there are so many togs out there like myself who are passionate about what they do and seeing something that is nothing more than a con from start to finish really annoys me. I wonder if they will eventually go out of business just like that other big photography company did/

Henchard
Henchard  92744 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jul 2009 - 3:48 PM

Quote: seeing something that is nothing more than a con from start to finish

James I do I hope Venture don't see your post because it could well be interpreted as Libellous unless you have the detailed information to back that claim up.

Last Modified By Henchard at 31 Jul 2009 - 3:48 PM
User_Removed
31 Jul 2009 - 3:55 PM

Quote: Quote: seeing something that is nothing more than a con from start to finish James I do I hope Venture don't see your post because it could well be interpreted as Libellous unless you have the detailed information to back that claim up.

If you were to google VENTURE PHOTOGRAPHY RIP OFF or VENTURE PHOTOGRAPHY EXPENSIVE you will find many threads started by customers who have been left distressed with their hard sell and finance packages. The vast majority of customers feel that they have been mislead and i find their sales tactics disgraceful. Social photography should be about being honest with people and clients respecting you for that and that clearly is not what venture are about. I dont see what i am doing wrong by giving my honest opinion.

SteveCharles
31 Jul 2009 - 4:01 PM

Quote: If people are in a shopping centre between 9am and 5pm on a weekday then surely the vast majority of them have not got jobs so surely they cant be the sort of people that venture should be targeting if they have no money.

What??!! Shopping centres during the week are populated by Venture's exact target market - mothers with young children.

Their sales techniques are aggressive, but it's worked for them.

Henchard
Henchard  92744 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jul 2009 - 4:02 PM

'con' implies someone has been swindled by means of a 'confidence trick'.

I am well aware of their business model but to my knowledge they operate within the law.

Last Modified By Henchard at 31 Jul 2009 - 4:03 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.