Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Are Venture Photography fooling their customers?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414.
Henchard
Henchard  92744 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jul 2009 - 4:10 PM

Incidentally I believe that Kodak may own 40% of the business so they won't be too chuffed either.

Edit: Just found out that Kodak sold their share in 2006 to new investors including Peter Goldsmith, the founder and former MD of Superdrug, and his son Paul.

Last Modified By Henchard at 31 Jul 2009 - 4:14 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Jul 2009 - 4:10 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

PeteWilliamson
14 Aug 2009 - 1:46 PM

I'm not sure if the problem is hard sell photography or numpties that sign up for deals/finance/contracts they can't afford or were unaware of when signing...

*shrug*

mikeweeks
mikeweeks  9952 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2009 - 4:31 PM

Quote: I quite agree about their business practices being unethical...... It just irritates me that there are so many togs out there like myself who are passionate about what they do and seeing something that is nothing more than a con from start to finish really annoys me.

Being passionate does not equal being professional - there are many people that have paid for wedding photography only to be let down by inept photographers - every couple of months another story appears in the papers where the bridal couple have been conned from start to finish.

Venture are a business, not a charity - would I take my car to garage and not ask what it is likely to cost in advance? No and you can not legistate for stupidity. You often hear stories about their charges but relatively few about the quality and to be where they were a couple of years ago you need a lot of customers.

Why is it that people go to Venture - its because they like the style that they have not seen or experienced before. Being passionate alone does not mean you can produce work of this standard.

Mike

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123786 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2009 - 6:06 PM

Indeed
Quote: passionate does not equal being professional

a so-so photographer who is excellent in business will easily earn ££££££££s more than a brilliant photographer revered by his/her peers who is lousy at business.

Venture may not be passionate but it appears that their business model works for them; furthermore I am unaware of any law that says anyone must go and have their picture taken by Venture .... as always "Caveat Emptor"!

Careful of potentially libellous comments: they may be deemed as being libellous on hard or soft copy; in law it makes no difference.

Hanners
Hanners e2 Member 8875 forum postsHanners vcard Ireland10 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2009 - 6:59 PM

Quote: Many people have signed up to a finance agreement that basically puts them in debt with a finance company

Anybody who chooses to do this then deserve to be in debt as they clearly don't have any clue in budgeting (and they usually blame anybody but themselve for their debt). Venture is a business and rightly or wrongly they do their business very well. Personally I save up for what I want, then buy it, or do without, I would never sign up for anything other than my house, let alone a photograph. Everybody has choices, people can always say "no thanks". Smile

collywobles
29 Sep 2009 - 7:30 AM

My wife used to do a 9 mile run a couple of times a week and she ran passed a photographers who had a Venture concession. She got to know the guy as sometimes they would pass each other on the run and just stop and have a quick chat, sometimes about the pictures in his window. She had always wanted a professional photo of all of our family (6 of us) so she booked a session.

To cut this short we walked out of the studio ordering 4 beautifully framed prints. One was a 20X16 and three otheres were 16X12. My wife really wanted them so I parted with £1600 -- much to my protests.

As for quality they are brilliant and my wife always says that if the house caught fire they are the first things she would save.

PS. Even though I am a photographer I do not have a studio neither do I think I could have created such good prints. Value for money? - well my wife was and still is very happy so in the end us men just have to bite the bullet sometimes!

mikeweeks
mikeweeks  9952 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
29 Sep 2009 - 9:02 AM

Quote: Would you be happy to allow a firm to loan all the children in your child's class the latest
photographs from the schools photographer
Quote: but if they want to bring it home and own it forever you have to stump up a small fortune when you pick them up from school?

Its been going on for years, just at a different price point.
As an aside if a parent cant say no to their children should they really be allowed to be parents?

Mike

Fishnet
Fishnet  94976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
29 Sep 2009 - 9:04 AM

£1600 for 4 photos??????

I'm sure you could have produced a great family photograph yourself, it doesn't have to be in a studio.

My friend has 4 canvas prints from Venture in her kitchen that she paid over £1000 for and I don't think they are anything special, just a big white seamless room with her kids, husband and dog lying down.

I could have done that for her in her own kitchen which is HUGE, all white and has a glass ceiling.

She regrets it now and is still paying for them as she got them on a finance deal.

Fishnet
29 Sep 2009 - 9:07 AM

I never buy school photos, they are boring and dull.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013939 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
29 Sep 2009 - 9:08 AM

Quote: £1600 for 4 photos??????

Blimey for that money you could buy a lighting kit, go on a course on how to use it & learn to frame your own prints....and still have change for a slap up meal at Mrs Miggins pie shop.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96106 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
29 Sep 2009 - 9:12 AM

Quote: I never buy school photos, they are boring and dull.

I have some really lovely ones of my two nieces when they were at school.

Have them framed and hanging on the dining room wall, which pleases my sister when she visits Smile, but not the girls ! !

Fishnet
29 Sep 2009 - 9:20 AM

The thing I find with school photos is they look exactly like everyone else's, same mottled background, same pose, same expression, same lighting.

My children don't look like my children in them, they look like stiff, slightly scared clones of my children.

I photograph my kids all the time, doing things that they like doing so their personality shines through and that's what I'm used to I suppose, school photos look weird to me.

roxpix
roxpix  102236 forum posts Scotland11 Constructive Critique Points
29 Sep 2009 - 9:28 AM

No way I’m paying £400 a pic…………but I guess mechanics don’t pay £400 to replace their brakes, plumbers don’t pay £400 to fix their central heating…….. but I have to, & there lies the crux of it

If nobody wanted their service it’d soon go under/change

Fishnet
29 Sep 2009 - 9:51 AM

I can totally understand someone who can't take a photo paying for it but as photographers (hobbyists or professionals) we would all be ale to take a decent portrait would stop us having to part with £1600 surely?

The Mr has a little annecdote regarding his plumbing......a man is having trouble with his plumbing and calls a plumber, the plumber turns up, looks at all the pipes and gets out his little hammer, taps one of the pipes and says "Job done, that's £1000 please"
The man says "£1000!!!???? i could have bought a hammer and done it myself for £10!"

The plumber replies "Yes, it's £10 for the hammer and £990 for knowing which pipe to tap"

collywobles
29 Sep 2009 - 10:21 AM

Quote: £1600 for 4 photos??????

I'm sure you could have produced a great family photograph yourself, it doesn't have to be in a studio.

Quote: Blimey for that money you could buy a lighting kit, go on a course on how to use it & learn to frame your own prints....and still have change for a slap up meal at Mrs Miggins pie shop

Quote: No way I’m paying £400 a pic…………but I guess mechanics don’t pay £400 to replace their brakes, plumbers don’t pay £400 to fix their central heating…….. but I have to, & there lies the crux of it

Quote: I can totally understand someone who can't take a photo paying for it but as photographers (hobbyists or professionals) we would all be ale to take a decent portrait would stop us having to part with £1600 surely?

You are all right and I am embarrassed in declaring this. However - my wife wanted it and what she wants she normally gets.

I have regrets parting with the money but have to confess they are very good {8o(>

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.