Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Are we all to be ripped off?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

keith selmes
2 May 2013 - 9:09 PM

Quote: where do photographers themselves stand on 'borrowing' images to add to their own.

I probably wouldn't call it photography, and it (the "borrowed" work) needs to be public domain (in the legal sense) or properly licensed.

Quote: Textures, composites, digital (cough) art are very often created using images on loan. A flock of birds here, a moon there, a wall, a floor, a cracking wall, an old tv, all right clicked and moulded to fit a new work.

Is this OK?

Where I use textures for non photographic work, I prefer to use my own photographs, or work up from scratch. This avoids the headache of tracking provenance, ensuring the right licence and attribution are used etc.
The other day I did something different, and wound up with about an A4 page of attributions, and having to double check everything could be used on the same CC licence. Lengthy process.

Of course it's OK, people specifically make the stuff available for use, and I put some of mine up on CC licences as well.
We wouldn't do it if we didn't mean it. Same thing for music tracks and sound effects.

Last Modified By keith selmes at 2 May 2013 - 9:10 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 May 2013 - 9:09 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
3 May 2013 - 5:53 AM

If you can't use your own original work, why the f*** bother......Any fool can copy or borrow work. Don't tell me Keith, you're in favour of this new Copyright Legislation the present government want to implement whereby it will be open season on any orphaned work or part thereof. I had you down as being a bit better than that! Wink

Last Modified By Ade_Osman at 3 May 2013 - 5:55 AM
saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43572 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
3 May 2013 - 7:11 AM

Quote:

How can it be OK, Malc, surely theft of an image is theft?

Sorry, forgot one important word:

Quote: There's a world of difference between legally using / combining stock images, textures et al and using them in a multi-layer image..

Last Modified By saltireblue at 3 May 2013 - 7:13 AM
keithh
keithh  1022734 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
3 May 2013 - 12:44 PM

I think nothing, Ade of this pathetic attempt to bring an archaic law into the digital age by simply brushing it under the carpet - but I'm asking because there are plenty of images here on EPZ that contain photo's on loan to make a digital work and it is sites like this one that will be vocal (ish) about the new legislation.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73803 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
3 May 2013 - 1:58 PM

To play devils advocate - what is the difference between using others images without permission, and say using a hooky copy of photoshop, or Chinese flashes / triggers etc that contravine european patent laws, copying CD's, videos etc. Arn't most of us being a bit hypocritical?

Its all steeling someone elses interlectural property - isn't it?

Last Modified By Nick_w at 3 May 2013 - 2:06 PM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139386 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
3 May 2013 - 2:52 PM

Quote: To play devils advocate - what is the difference between using others images without permission, and say using a hooky copy of photoshop, or Chinese flashes / triggers etc that contravine european patent laws, copying CD's, videos etc.

In principle.............. none whatsoever Smile

Except we are not Adobe or the makers of flashes, CDs, videos etc, so we feel more strongly when it happens to our property! Wink

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53516 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
3 May 2013 - 5:41 PM

Quote: To play devils advocate - what is the difference between using others images without permission, and say using a hooky copy of photoshop, or Chinese flashes / triggers etc that contravine european patent laws, copying CD's, videos etc.

In principle.............. none whatsoever Smile

Except we are not Adobe or the makers of flashes, CDs, videos etc, so we feel more strongly when it happens to our property! Wink

Also we don't have the budget to take regular action for abuses so should be protected by legislation, not sold out by it.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.