Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

are xd cards prone to faults in reading

KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
14 Dec 2009 5:46PM
Just curious if this is common or just an isolated case.
Someone I know in Canada says it is an issue that i dont see, or maybe there is. It could well be isolated and simply a corrupted card.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rowarrior 6 4.4k 9 Scotland
14 Dec 2009 6:54PM
I've had one XD card fail on me years ago, and a CF card fail last year. Both times were because I reused them a few times and forgot to format them. It's now drilled in to do it, and I've never had a problem. On the other hand nothing is fail-proof, occasionally things just break!
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
14 Dec 2009 7:46PM
As KT has said good working practice is to format now & then.

Even so it only takes one file to be written with a zero or one in the wrong place, The file is then corrupted.

Chancing my luck here, But I have not had a CF card fail in 8 + years, Had a bout of write issues when using " Microdrives " , That said it was mainly some cheapo 2gb ones I bought of " Fleabay " a long time ago, The more expensive IBM one I had never had any issues.

My brother, Who insists on buying brands of SD card, That no one has ever heard of, Has write issues galore, I have advised him to stick to branded names from reliable outlets......Does he listen..Sad

Some brothers do have em !
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
14 Dec 2009 8:11PM
Thanks for the replies.
It may indeed be an isoloted case and for the very reasons descibed, not formatting the card and of course cheap ones.
The person concerned had this brought to their attention that indicated the issue to be with xd cards only. A case of passing on false information.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.