Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

are xd cards prone to faults in reading

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 102980 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Dec 2009 - 5:46 PM

Just curious if this is common or just an isolated case.
    Someone I know in Canada says it is an issue that i dont see, or maybe there is. It could well be isolated and simply a corrupted card.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Dec 2009 - 5:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rowarrior
    rowarrior  64350 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Dec 2009 - 6:54 PM

I've had one XD card fail on me years ago, and a CF card fail last year. Both times were because I reused them a few times and forgot to format them. It's now drilled in to do it, and I've never had a problem. On the other hand nothing is fail-proof, occasionally things just break!

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Dec 2009 - 7:46 PM

As KT has said good working practice is to format now & then.

Even so it only takes one file to be written with a zero or one in the wrong place, The file is then corrupted.

Chancing my luck here, But I have not had a CF card fail in 8 + years, Had a bout of write issues when using " Microdrives " , That said it was mainly some cheapo 2gb ones I bought of " Fleabay " a long time ago, The more expensive IBM one I had never had any issues.

My brother, Who insists on buying brands of SD card, That no one has ever heard of, Has write issues galore, I have advised him to stick to branded names from reliable outlets......Does he listen..Sad

Some brothers do have em !

Last Modified By cameracat at 14 Dec 2009 - 7:47 PM
    KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 102980 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Dec 2009 - 8:11 PM

Thanks for the replies.
    It may indeed be an isoloted case and for the very reasons descibed, not formatting the card and of course cheap ones.
    The person concerned had this brought to their attention that indicated the issue to be with xd cards only. A case of passing on false information.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.