Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Are You a Loner?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

DOGSBODY
DOGSBODY  51432 forum posts England30 Constructive Critique Points
22 Mar 2012 - 7:13 PM

Are you a loner when you go out to take photos or are you a social creature who enjoys the company of others?

I am a loner myself as I find that, when I am with others, I feel inhibited about taking my time to look for pictures and tend to hurry my shots rather than seek out the best composition, etc. Being with family is the worst thing as they are not interested in photography and they moan if you start to hang about too much

I enjoy going to places with other photographers but tend to drift off on my own and say to them that I will meet them for lunch or in the pub later.

But, perhaps you are the opposite and enjoy being with others as they inspire you and make you think about different ideas and help you to see things that you would have missed.

So, are you a loner or a gregarious photographer?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Mar 2012 - 7:13 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

devlin
devlin  4651 forum posts India39 Constructive Critique Points
22 Mar 2012 - 7:20 PM

A little bit of both....Wink i like company when iam out...but only with a very select bunch of close photographer friends...who cant be bothered about hurrying each other so basically we start out together but drift around individually catching each other up later, the other issue is also that some of the area's we venture into & in case of shooting in the night; ....its always good to have a few people around Wink
Cheers

Prabh

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
22 Mar 2012 - 7:23 PM

I'd say that outlines me fairly well in that I also find shooting with family or such a pain and often ends up with me lugging the gear and not taking shots.

With other photographers it will vary depending on where I'm shooting, sometimes I'll shoot with them side by side othertimes (esp if its a larger general meetup) I'll wander and do my own thing whilst bumping into them from time to time (tends to be at small wildlife centres where I do most photographer with photographer shooting so you end up meeting most of the people as you wander around).

I think part of it is the fact that the creative process is fairly singular unless you're working with a team to create a specific shot or type of shot. So for general walks and shooting being alone works fairly well; lets you focus on the shot and not on chatting.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
22 Mar 2012 - 7:25 PM

Quote: A little bit of both....

Me too. But too many of my friends get visibly bored/impatient when I stop to take photos, so it's become an increasingly solitary activity over the years.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
22 Mar 2012 - 7:33 PM

Yep a little bit of both, though I must admit that my favourite partner to shoot with is my best mate and wife.....I have to say that, she's just bought me a new ball head Smile Seriously though, I'm out more often with her than anyone else. But I'm not averse to going out on my own, especially when out bug hunting. She's a bit of a twitcher and I'm a insect nut, so we usually end up going places that cater for both our tastes.
It's nice though on occasion to go out with someone else for a bit of man talk and cover the technical side of photography, which doesn't really interest the wife. Just lately we've been taking one of our grand daughters out with us both and she's beginning to show some promise and even better for an 8 y/o some really good understanding.
Then of course they're are the EPZ meets, which I always enjoy even if sometimes they turn into a day of debauchery and taking the mick, usually at my expense I might add.....S'always nice to put faces to names and I've made many good friends over the years doing that. Not sure anyone would agree with me there though Grin

Ade

NaturesHaven
NaturesHaven e2 Member 2246 forum postsNaturesHaven vcard England5 Constructive Critique Points
22 Mar 2012 - 8:08 PM

I'm a loner.............much prefer to be on my own so I can concentrate on the subjects..........the creatures that inhabit our garden from birds to bees, my other half will spend time in the greenhouse, again as a loner....the greenhouse is his domain and little a corner of the garden (the wildlife area is mine).

When we venture out we go together, usually to the local nature reserve, we take pictures together, I'll capture the birds while hublet catches the bees.

I cannot comment about being out with other photographers because that is something I've never done yet..........

rambler
rambler e2 Member 5465 forum postsrambler vcard England14 Constructive Critique Points
22 Mar 2012 - 8:20 PM

I often go out alone but I favour going with a good friend. He and I have that unwritten understanding that allows us to work separately yet share the experience and of course a good pint or two.

Ken.

JohnParminter
22 Mar 2012 - 8:22 PM

Unequivically Ungregarious, my wife calls it something else though....

Wink

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014466 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Mar 2012 - 8:31 PM

Solitary.

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
22 Mar 2012 - 8:40 PM

Personally i am a loner as i find shooting Wild life on my own results in a shot or two, otherwise i will talk and no shots result.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54207 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
22 Mar 2012 - 8:43 PM

I prefer company but only that of other photographers, and only if we all do our own thing and don't crowd. I go out on my own 99% of the time though as I don't really have anyone around to go with. Family and friends just don't have the patience to wait as they're not interested.

sabretalon
sabretalon  101918 forum posts United Kingdom
22 Mar 2012 - 8:56 PM

I like going out with others but then I seem to spend more time talking than I do taking photos

keith selmes
22 Mar 2012 - 9:04 PM

Loner. I need to settle in to what I'm doing. I'm bad company when photographing.

If I'm going out with others, I'll take a pocket camera and photograph them, when opportunity arises.
I will probably get a few other snapshots also, but it has to be quite limited.
Everybody would like some mementos I think, but they don't want me spending ages ignoring them and messing with bucketfulls of SLR and lenses.

User_Removed
22 Mar 2012 - 9:09 PM

Loner - preferably.

clintQB
clintQB  251 forum posts United Kingdom
22 Mar 2012 - 9:43 PM

Loner, but thats because none of my local friends are into photography.....and the ones that are live too far away.....boo hoo Tongue

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.